Kgalagadi Roads Condition

Default Kgalagadi Roads Condition

Morning everyone,

In a week we will be entering the Kgalagadi, anyone able to give road condition updates please - we will be entering at Tweerivieren, then to Mata Mata then to Nossob; Hilux Legend45 double cab towing a Conqueror Companion.

Cheers

Default Re: Kgalagadi Roads Condition

I think the default answer is: heavily corrugated

A friend of mine was just there - said it was particularly bad on the Nossob road... Rattled bolts loose on his front bumper. So take some tools with

Remember to deflate!
    Last edited by Greg; 2018/04/10 at 11:05 AM.
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD GLS (sold)
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 DiDc GLS

We were there 2 weeks ago (Twee Rievieren, Rooiputs, Gharagab, Nossob, Mpayathutwa) and the road to Nossob had "normal" corrugation i.e. same as usual! Driving on the right-hand side of the road (when there is no oncoming traffic) seems to help. Did not find it too bad - we might have got used to it. I did notice that a lot of vehicles seem to travel without properly dropping their tyre pressure - which obviously worsens the corrugation for everyone.

On your day permit it states you must deflate to 1.6 bars. I normally go down to 1.4, best for the vehicle and comfort, apart from being good for the road too.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Nissan Micra SWAMBO's "Mushroom"
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    On your day permit it states you must deflate to 1.6 bars. I normally go down to 1.4, best for the vehicle and comfort, apart from being good for the road too.
    In 5 Kgalagadi trips I have always deflated both vehicle and trailer to 1.2 bar without any issues.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

The only time you get really nice roads in the Kgalagadi is when you're driving right behind the tractor. Just deflate and you'll be fine.

I was there last month and the Twee Rivieren - Mata Mata is fine.
    I never went all the way to Nossub but first 50 kms is also fine.

In fact the roads I used were probably the best I can remember for a long time.
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6 SE

"Life without adventure is no life at all"

Did nossob to twee rivieren 3 days ago. No prob if deflated to 1.6, some areas worse than others but nothing to rattle loose bolts or anything.

We have just come back (End July 201 from a trip from the eastern gate at Mabua all the may to the Namibian gate at Mata Mata ...... 4 cars, all with Conqueror trailers. The first thing I believe would be useful to all prospective visitors is to dispel all myths about the 4x4 trail from Mabua to Nossob ..... Trailers are allowed ..... and if you travel in convoy, you will have a great trip. Below is hopefully some useful information.The roads in the Mabua side of the park are certainly corrugated but in a condition that at no stage would any car with properly deflated tyres struggle even with a trailer. I really don't think any further comment is necessary as there are lots of reports that support this.The point of interest I think is the 4x4 tail (the north road ... one way, east to west). When I did my research on this trip, I found lots of differing information about the road with a large number of reports stating that trailers were not allowed on this trail. Well, I asked the officials at the gate, and because we had made the booking at the half way campsite at Mosomane and we had a convoy of vehicles (1 x Land Cruiser VX, I x Fortuner, 1 x Suzuki Vitara and 1 x Mitsubishi Pajero short) , they were totally happy for us to travel on this road. So for all of you wishing to do the trail with trailers, the bottom line is .... YOU CAN if you plan it properly. Also, you can do the tour with the non traditional vehicles (The Suzuki made it without hassle)Regarding the trail, the road up to Mosomane camp is very similar to the Mabua side of the park (basically very passable and without hazard). From Mosomane to Nossob, the trip is around 108 km to Nossob and the road also has little to report outside of a section of 25km (between roughly 50km and 25km before Nossob). In this 25 km section, there are a number of grassed dunes which are steeper than the rest of the park and in this area, it is quite obvious that previous vehicles that passed the area, got stuck due to over inflated tyres and have caused deep pits on the up-slope .... the pits are around 50 cm deep and are staggered on opposite sides of the trail causing the car to rock from side to side violently and the smaller cars to bottom out on occasion. One of our cars had a roof rack and this was thrown off the vehicles due to the rocking at speed when trying to climb the hill (certainly because it was too heavy and a lesson we have learnt). Each of these steeper dunes had several roads up and selection of the best road helped ..... it (as everyone knows) was critical to have tyres well deflated (we found 0.8 bar worked best for the Fortuner .... we tried tyres at 1.2 bar initially ( the thinking being the trailer would need harder tyres and still struggled a bit but we found that 0.8 bar was easily the best ..... and the trailer followed nicely (also with 0.8 bar tyres).Our approach was to send the Fortuner up the original road first with its trailer (at 0.8 bar it easily made it up every dune) ..... then from the top of the hill, we could assess the best of the various roads up the dune for the two smaller cars .... should either of the two smaller cars have an issue and fail to make after their third attempt, we would either use the Fortuner to help them up the hill or use the Land cruiser (which always followed at the back of the tour) to create a pioneer road near the current road, for the cars to ascend. Whilst we accept that the cars are meant to stay on the original tracks, moving a metre or two to one side generally allowed the little cars to ascend without hassle and really didn't damage the region as there were often several paths up the dune made in the past. ( And we only had to do this once)Our little cars only got stuck once requiring some assistance from the winch ... the rest of the time, it simply required us to reverse back down the road and try again or use the strategy above.At no stage did the Fortuner or Land Cruiser have any issue.All vehicles had either Conqueror Comfort of Conqueror Conquest II trailers. The Fortuner and its trailer (Comfort) had standard tyres at 0.8 bar. All other cars and trailers had standard tyres at 1.2 bar. The 4x4 trail form Mosomane to Nossob was traversed at an average speed of around 10km/h (so give yourself enough time). There is only 25km of testing road in the 108km and trailers are allowed.I really hope this helps ...... and you enjoy the trip.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snaz For This Useful Post:

Those deep ruts and corrugations are often caused by people that do not engage 4x4 for some or other weird reason.

Nossob is renowned for very bad roads - Mata less so and Twee Rivieren area (Head office ) usually has the best roads.

Kgalagadi roads can damage your car and shocks.

The grading with tractor tyres etc can't keep up with the increased number of visitors to the Park.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway