Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Default Re: Conqueror Commander Modifications Thread

Hi Pieter

Ek dink die lithium batterye lyk presies dieselfde, dis net die inhou wat ander is. Dalk sal die pole verskil. Jy moet ma net die size kry van die wat tans in is.
    Ia daar n probleem met die wat tans in is? Myne het nog nooit te min krag gelewer nie.

Trek jy soveel krag dat hul nie kan byhou nie?
    Barry Enslin

Td5 Defender named Shingwedzi.
    Conqueror Commander named Shawu

ONE LIFE!

Quote Originally Posted by pieter_fourie View Post
    Hi All

I want to fit lithium batteries to my commander. Do I need to change any other electric components? Sorry but have no clue.

Thanks
    I would also like to know. As far as I understand the charger is the biggest issue. Not sure.
    Dirk Lombard
    2009 Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi
    2016 BMW i3 (Full Electric)
    2021 Conqueror Commander Platinum

No one? Would like to get it fitted this week if possible. Please if anyone could assist
    It all comes down to the installed battery charger.... I "think" the newer Commanders had lithium enabled chargers... but DON'T quote me on that... other than that, should be able to upgrade.
    Last edited by BobMabena; 2022/05/09 at 02:00 PM.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

So apparently the charger in my commander can charge lithium. Any recommendations what lithium to fit?
    2020 Toyota Landcruiser 200 GX-R
    2018 Range rover sport
    2017 BMW M4

So apparently the charger in my commander can charge lithium. Any recommendations what lithium to fit?
    I like Blue Nova, can be monitored with BT.

https://youtu.be/QtkmWLSUqRo

Be absolutely sure about the charger though. Stand under correction, but as I understand all the Conqerer chargers work on the three cycle bulk, sat and flood principal. With Lithium you may just have trouble if the charger does not limit the max V in the correct range. Also the equalisation feature must be inactive.

If you have a display showing battery type detected you are ok.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

I have 2 108Ah BN fitted in mine. What's nice about the BN batteries are that they have integrated BMS which means that a 'normal' charger can be used as long as it's on the 'normal' voltage charge setting and not 'high' it should be fine. Obviously the higher AMP the charger pushes the better, lithium batteries like very high amps.

If you get normal non-bluetooth batteries just het a Victron Smartshunt. It works like a charm!

Hi

Thanks guys.

My concern is that the current charger might be able to charge it but that a larger amp charger will be more beneficial? Can anyone recommend a electric company that specializes in this? In Gauteng please

Thanks
    2018 Range rover sport
    2017 BMW M4

I would give Tino a call from G4 Outoor(check the commercial members section) - his work is exemplary and there is quite a few fellow forum members that are also very happy with his work. Benefit is he comes to you

Hi

Thanks guys.

My concern is that the current charger might be able to charge it but that a larger amp charger will be more beneficial? Can anyone recommend a electric company that specializes in this? In Gauteng please

Thanks
    Martin Pienaar

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Martinj For This Useful Post:

Let me tell you that fitment centres for caravans , 4x4ís etc are doing extremely well. I asked 5 companies for quotes this week to fit lithium and upgrade the charger. Not one quote received. Job is estimated at around 35-40k. What covid?
    2018 Range rover sport
    2017 BMW M4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pieter_fourie For This Useful Post:

Let me tell you that fitment centres for caravans , 4x4ís etc are doing extremely well. I asked 5 companies for quotes this week to fit lithium and upgrade the charger. Not one quote received. Job is estimated at around 35-40k. What covid?
    Did you ask Timo from G4?
    Bruce Hunter

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Did you ask Timo from G4?
    He is nr 6 but only emailed details last night to him
    2018 Range rover sport
    2017 BMW M4

DO it yourself.
    It is not that difficult.
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Conqueror Companion

2018 Range rover sport
    2017 BMW M4

Last edited by princekj; 2022/05/18 at 01:55 PM. Reason: wrong section

3. replace the current awnings with fold-out 270 degree types. At R25k each at conqueror I will be looking at alternative options

I bought a new commander with the new batwing awning (arms aluminium) - I must admit looks fancy and you get the looks from other campers, gives extra room around the back to the spare wheel especially with back side walls up and the Led lights in each awning arm is my favourite luv it / - but on our 3rd trip we were down at Morgans Bay and while we were out for a few hours, a strong wind must have come in - as when we got back the entire awning was folded up over the roof, one entire awning arm ripped off, the main big knuckle at the back twisted and torn, 2 other arms bent, the gas struts for the main roof bent. Wind had pulled all the pegs out of the ground. Believe me to try and get all that twisted broken stuff folded back into the bag an zipped closed took alot of effort and some hammering (about a hour)

I personally think for practicality the OLD awning is better / although interior space it will be smaller due to the right side wall on rally tent being at the end of the pantry and not around to the spare wheel. Just as quick and easy to setup like the old caravan style, and more solid when tired down with storm pegs. Also the old awning with the 2 x side panels up - all fits snug and no wind or leakage coming in as the feed rails made for it. A few problems with the new batwing awning if you put up the front side panels by the fridge drawer - it closes off your front bed window - so the wife has no more fresh air and no more view of the sea - angry wife (( / left side bed rain cover has to fold down / no zip to access the front nose cone from inside / and once the side wall up you can't access the nose cone from outside either / the initial walls dont all join snuggly - always gaps between awning cover and support beam - so rain and wind going to enter and drip down on the fridge.

Dont get me wrong - I love the new batwing awning but just seems as if it was a afterthought and just stuck on the van with no real investigation of the above items.

(New batwing awning -zip open, fasten front and back tensions, fold poles down, peg x 4 / poles x 4 - but 6 x side walls takes some time to put up and a few gaps here and there on front and back) (Old awning - zip open, pull out, 3 x poles with 1 upper support pole / 3 x pegs / only 2 x side walls / no gaps nice and snug)

For me and the wife we would put the old awning up and down much quicker than new batwing. Rather be warm and snug inside the 2 walled old awning tent than having the little extra indoor tent space around to the back spare wheel with the new batwing - and then still have a few issue with not everything fitting perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by princekj View Post
    Thanks so much for this detailed review.

We have the normal (old) awning and I thought maybe I made a mistake. After reading this I feel much better about our choice. We also got the extension (to the front) so if we camp for longer periods we add that to get more space.
    Dirk Lombard
    2009 Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi
    2016 BMW i3 (Full Electric)
    2021 Conqueror Commander Platinum

[QUOTE=DirkL;4882896]Thanks so much for this detailed review.

Hi Dirk - yes Van in at the moment / insurance to repair / replace - but told Conqueror to please replace with the old awning, side panels and extra verander extension.
    Can't wait to test it out as soon as I get it back.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13