low- vs high range - sand driving (technical discussion) - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: low- vs high range - sand driving (technical discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    I think that you are misunderstanding me. I will never drive like that because I am almost always in low range on sand.
    I drive a Defender, I am in no hurry when I am driving on sand. Therefore LR for me and rather taking it a bit slower.

BTW. I have yet so far to get stuck in sand.
    I drive in hr most of the time and have never resorted to that bad practice and therfore never experienced the clutch as an issue in hr.

I prefer hr as the fuel consumption is substantially better and I can get to more places between petrol stops. 215 liter tank plus jerry cans quite often not enough

BTW: try harder
    I got stuck many times. That is not difficult, the trick is to get out without help. That is where you get real experience to not get stuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter de Waal View Post
    I drive in hr most of the time and have never resorted to that bad practice and therfore never experienced the clutch as an issue in hr. I have, on occasion, driven with people who do. Normally people who don't believe in deflating tyres or people who believe that a 4x2 is just as capable as a 4x4.

I prefer hr as the fuel consumption is substantially better and I can get to more places between petrol stops. 215 liter tank plus jerry cans quite often not enough LR + driving slowly gives me better consumption ... but time must then not be a factor. My Landy's revcounter and petrol gauge are connected with an invisible rubber band.

I got stuck many times. That is not difficult, the trick is to get out without help. That is where you get real experience to not get stuck again.
    Damned Defender that is so capable! Properly deflated Khumos + broken off rear swaybar makes it a mission to get stuck

What do you drive?
    My comments in blue
    Defender 2.8i

Prick your finger it is done the moon has now eclipsed the sun the angel has spread its wings the time has come for bitter things

I drive in hr most of the time and have never resorted to that bad practice and therfore never experienced the clutch as an issue in hr. I have, on occasion, driven with people who do. Normally people who don't believe in deflating tyres or people who believe that a 4x2 is just as capable as a 4x4.
    Here you have it right in the sense that people who slip their clutches are quite often the group you mention. The attitude and vehicles of this group do not belong in places like Botswana and quite frankly do not last very long up there. I met lots of them years ago when we drove on beaches still. Are you from northern Natal ?

I prefer hr as the fuel consumption is substantially better and I can get to more places between petrol stops. 215 liter tank plus jerry cans quite often not enough LR + driving slowly gives me better consumption ... but time must then not be a factor. My Landy's revcounter and petrol gauge are connected with an invisible rubber band.
    You are missing an important technical point here. Driving in low or high range at the same speed is what is under discussion. (You connect high range to high speed) Your own statement is a contradiction in terms. Driving in Low range more than double the rpm if it is done at the same speed. So agreeing with you rubber band principle double the rpm is double the consumption.

Damned Defender that is so capable!Properly deflated Khumos + broken off rear swaybar makes it a mission to get stuck
    Normally it is 80 % the driver and 20 % the Defender

What do you drive?
    This discussion should be carried out around a campfire and is not really usefull to other forum members any more. The original request was for a technical discussion that is to the point.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5