Thread: GV Mods

Red face GV Mods

Hello Everyone.

I have a 2015 GV 2.4 Summit. I recently took it out to its natural habitat! The OUTDOORS. Oh boy, did I had fun!? GV handled the gravel and sand better than it does on tar. We went up Ramatseliso's Gate but took the road less traveled. I was so impressed by this plucky 4x4. Now I want to make it more capable. My main issue was the ground clearance. I already have a bash plate installed when I bought it but I cringed when I heard a couple of hits from the loose stones.

I have been doing some research around lifting and AT tyres. And I'd appreciate if any GV owners could answer some of my questions.

1. Would you recommend spacer lift kit or shock lift kit? Other than the price, what are the pros and cons between the two?
    2. I currently have standard 17" rim wheels. I believe AT tyres for that size is almost impossible to come by. Recommendation is to move 16" rims. Anyone know where I get a set of 16" rims and what AT tyres do you recommend?
    3. Other than bash plate what other under belly protection should I get.
    4. Do GV has extended fuel tank option? Currently I get around 560 to a full tank but what if I take it into places like Namibia where there are not many fueling stations?

I am really excited about modding my GV. I can't believe I didn't had time to take it off-road all these years. I don't think I will ever buy another car again.

Default Re: GV Mods

Ok.. some more useful info from the following thread
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...99#post2635899

Maybe I should read up more before asking questions. Sorry about that.

Ha ha - you're right they are fantastic in all habitats - and with a little more ground clearance become VERY capable without giving away too much of their road manners.

If you are still under warranty - forget about doing changes of shocks and springs - you can however do a spacer lift without breaking the warranty.

You can add sump protector, T-case protector and rear diff protector for more piece of mind, and sill protectors from Wizerd to protect against stones being thrown up.

17" tyres are not that hard to come by and you can upsize a little (3%) without voiding warranty - that will give you almost an extra cm free lift ....

Have fun
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2018/04/08 at 05:09 PM.

Suzi Blue 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

4. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Agree with Dave, the spacer kit is fine depending on your needs, especially under warranty. The 17 inch rims also fine, just research your tires. Maybe look on errors tyres online. There is no long range tank for GV. All you need is a roof rack with two jerries then you are golden. I run a Thule foot setup with a desert wolf rack. Just came back from Caprivi and the two jerries came in handy. Nice thing about Thule feet is it's 5 min then rack is on or off.

Thank you for your reply. My only challenge with the Jerry can is that I am in a wheelchair. So, it can be tricky for me to use the roof rack. Not impossible. I have has roof rack on my previous Landy, Freelander 2.
    Then again, one doesn't go to places like that alone so there will always be people to help me.

One more thing on the tyre. My current ones say 225/60/R18. So they are 18" rims?
    Apology for newbie questions. I'm learning so much though.

If you have a GV Summit, then it would have come fitted with 18" rims as standard. When I bought my Summit I got my wheels swopped with a Dune that had just been traded in, so I luckily have 17's.

Another thing I have found extremely useful was to have a reversing camera and appropriate rear view mirror with video section fitted by Planet Electronics. Apart from being a great help when reversing to park, it also gives wonderful assistance when one has to reverse in an off road situation.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian.McM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ihtun101 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. My only challenge with the Jerry can is that I am in a wheelchair. So, it can be tricky for me to use the roof rack. Not impossible. I have has roof rack on my previous Landy, Freelander 2.
    Then again, one doesn't go to places like that alone so there will always be people to help me.

One more thing on the tyre. My current ones say 225/60/R18. So they are 18" rims?
    Apology for newbie questions. I'm learning so much though.
    yes you have 18" rims ....while it is not impossible to find AT tyres in that size they are expensive and you won't have a lot of choice - you can probably get a set of 16" rims plus decent AT tyres for the same price!

yes to what Ian was saying - reverse camera helps a hell of a lot!
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2018/04/08 at 10:50 PM.

Suzi Blue 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

A friend ( see image) and I have both added 2 x20l to our 2.4 GV's. This is a homemade extension bolted directly to the GV's ladder frame.
    Small disadvantage - need to remove jerries to open the back door and the weight position.

Thanks for the picture. That looks like something I can work with.

Morning!
    Here is my GV Mod Thread - http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ght=mods+start - I did a load of bits to mine.
    BTW - I am prepared to sell my 16" rims, tyres & spacers - 4 tyres have been used on a couple of trips - probably around 75-80% tread left - and 2 tyres are brand new - a full set of 6 rims & tyers....
    PM me if you are interested...?
    Steve

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's

Hello Everyone.

I have a 2015 GV 2.4 Summit. I recently took it out to its natural habitat! The OUTDOORS. Oh boy, did I had fun!? GV handled the gravel and sand better than it does on tar. We went up Ramatseliso's Gate but took the road less traveled. I was so impressed by this plucky 4x4. Now I want to make it more capable. My main issue was the ground clearance. I already have a bash plate installed when I bought it but I cringed when I heard a couple of hits from the loose stones.

I have been doing some research around lifting and AT tyres. And I'd appreciate if any GV owners could answer some of my questions.

1. Would you recommend spacer lift kit or shock lift kit? Other than the price, what are the pros and cons between the two?
    2. I currently have standard 17" rim wheels. I believe AT tyres for that size is almost impossible to come by. Recommendation is to move 16" rims. Anyone know where I get a set of 16" rims and what AT tyres do you recommend?
    3. Other than bash plate what other under belly protection should I get.
    4. Do GV has extended fuel tank option? Currently I get around 560 to a full tank but what if I take it into places like Namibia where there are not many fueling stations?

I am really excited about modding my GV. I can't believe I didn't had time to take it off-road all these years. I don't think I will ever buy another car again.
    I have now completed 100k km in my 2.4 GV (2008 model) over some of SA's, Botswana's, Namibia's and Zambia's worst roads and offer the following from this experience.

40mm lift kit (my lift spacers were supplied and fitted by Wizard) is an essential, no problems experienced with the fitment.

Wizard also supplied and fitted air bags in the rear coil springs. These help to maintaining ground clearance when loaded and to assist the rear shocks. Having said that I now also carry spare rear shocks after blowing one on the sand road coming North out the Khaudum. The worst sand road I've ever driven with repeated long deep cross axel stretches.

Rear diff and transfer case protection is essential. Made my own transfer case protection as I could not find anything that looked strong enough.

If you have a tow hitch check the location of the electrics connector - had to reposition mine after a rock took it off.

The center silencer is vulnerable in deep sand, rocks and deep mud and is easily dislodged from its rubber mounting. I have changed the OME rubber support to two smaller rubber rings that lift the center silencer an additional 20mm and wired them so they can't be dislodged. I have also added a "ramp" to the leading edge of this silencer to reduce the chance of this hooking on a rock.

The chassis mounting points of the cross member supporting the gearbox are vulnerable to rocks - damaged one side on the Orange River Eco trail. I have now added ramps to protect both fixing points.

I have 17 inch rims and have exclusively used the affordable Goodyear AT/SA & Adventure tyres 235 65 R17. This size gives an additional 1 cm of ground clearance and is a good all round tyre.

The current breathers for gearbox and diffs are ok for about 500mm deep water - I extended mine for 1m.

Just a point regarding fuel consumption with the 2.4 manual GV - loaded and with the Howling Moon RTT fitted I can rely on an average fuel consumption of 10l/100km at our open road touring speed of 95/105 km/h - off road low range in deep sand expect a worst case of 3km/l with an overall average off-road of 6km/l to 8km/l.

I believe the GV is one of the most under appreciated 4x4 vehicles in SA - great to hear you are enjoying yours

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike_P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_P View Post
    I have now completed 100k km in my 2.4 GV (2008 model) over some of SA's, Botswana's, Namibia's and Zambia's worst roads and offer the following from this experience.

40mm lift kit (my lift spacers were supplied and fitted by Wizard) is an essential, no problems experienced with the fitment.

Wizard also supplied and fitted air bags in the rear coil springs. These help to maintaining ground clearance when loaded and to assist the rear shocks. Having said that I now also carry spare rear shocks after blowing one on the sand road coming North out the Khaudum. The worst sand road I've ever driven with repeated long deep cross axel stretches.

Rear diff and transfer case protection is essential. Made my own transfer case protection as I could not find anything that looked strong enough.

If you have a tow hitch check the location of the electrics connector - had to reposition mine after a rock took it off.

The center silencer is vulnerable in deep sand, rocks and deep mud and is easily dislodged from its rubber mounting. I have changed the OME rubber support to two smaller rubber rings that lift the center silencer an additional 20mm and wired them so they can't be dislodged. I have also added a "ramp" to the leading edge of this silencer to reduce the chance of this hooking on a rock.

The chassis mounting points of the cross member supporting the gearbox are vulnerable to rocks - damaged one side on the Orange River Eco trail. I have now added ramps to protect both fixing points.

I have 17 inch rims and have exclusively used the affordable Goodyear AT/SA & Adventure tyres 235 65 R17. This size gives an additional 1 cm of ground clearance and is a good all round tyre.

The current breathers for gearbox and diffs are ok for about 500mm deep water - I extended mine for 1m.

Just a point regarding fuel consumption with the 2.4 manual GV - loaded and with the Howling Moon RTT fitted I can rely on an average fuel consumption of 10l/100km at our open road touring speed of 95/105 km/h - off road low range in deep sand expect a worst case of 3km/l with an overall average off-road of 6km/l to 8km/l.

I believe the GV is one of the most under appreciated 4x4 vehicles in SA - great to hear you are enjoying yours
    Well said Mike, what I have noticed (and no, I'm not disappointed in my selection with my Auto) is that there is a big difference in fuel consumption between manual and auto. Refer my fuelly.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_P View Post

Thank you for this comprehensive information Mike. I am learning so much from it.
    Thank you everyone!

Hello Everyone,

Just to give an update on my GV, I've installed the 40mm lift kit from Wizerd.
    I have been to de Wildt 4x4 track twice. Once before the lift and this weekend after the lift. What a different it makes!!!
    Although I was able to do most obstacle with my GV the 1st time, I had a few scrapes and scratches underneath that made me cringe.
    2nd time round, no issues whatsoever. My GV turned into a point and shoot rock crawler.

Will look into getting AT tyres next but need to save up a bit more since I will need a new set of 17" rims also. Current 18" has problem finding the tyre I want.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ihtun101 For This Useful Post:

Hello Everyone,

Just to give an update on my GV, I've installed the 40mm lift kit from Wizerd.
    I have been to de Wildt 4x4 track twice. Once before the lift and this weekend after the lift. What a different it makes!!!
    Although I was able to do most obstacle with my GV the 1st time, I had a few scrapes and scratches underneath that made me cringe.
    2nd time round, no issues whatsoever. My GV turned into a point and shoot rock crawler.

Will look into getting AT tyres next but need to save up a bit more since I will need a new set of 17" rims also. Current 18" has problem finding the tyre I want.
    My 16" rims & tyres are still available....

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbingTurtle View Post
    My 16" rims & tyres are still available....
    Send pictures and price.

Paid R16k when I bought them, R10K negotiable?

4 tyres have around 12k km on them, 2 are completely unused - All Dunlop AT3's - used for one Namia Trip and a few local days - no punctures.

5 rims are the 5-spoke from the Freelander, 1 is the double-3-spoke - all are plasti-dip painted matt gray - this peels off if required - I did this as I didn't like the silver....

In Boksburg.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1449_Small_[1].jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	488886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1451_Small_[1].jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	488887  

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack