Zambia Road Tolls

Default Zambia Road Tolls

So we've been in East Africa for the last few years and are now heading South again to enjoy the cheaper parks....Tan in particular has just got too expensive!

We crossed into Zambia via the Kaysese border post - possibly one of the quietest borders in the region and a whole lot better than Tunduma looked last time we passed by!
    The issue with Kaysese is that you can only pay for the carbon tax at the border - immigration is done in Mbala (easy to find in the centre of the small town), Council Tax will apparently be collected by the first of their roadblocks (but we haven't come across one that has stopped us yet!) and we were told to pay Road Tolls at the office in Kasama.
    On the way into Kasama we were stopped by a road toll gate at which we were charged 50kw for the pleasure of driving from Mpulungu to Kasama (160km) - we drive a Unimog so got stung for being a light truck.

We are in Kasama waiting for the office to open on Monday to pay the toll (National I understand).
    As all of this is new since we last came through Zam, I'm interested to know if I really need to pay the "National Toll" (and how much it would be for a light truck), or could I simply pay 50kw each time I get to a gate (and how many gates could I expect from here to Livingstone for example?).
    Normally I'd expect to find this sort of information in the public domain on the website of the toll authority - but they don't seem to have made it available.......

Any clues would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Oh - and Lake Tanganyika is spectacular!

Default Re: Zambia Road Tolls

Quote Originally Posted by frenchian View Post
    Oh - and Lake Tanganyika is spectacular!

For sure
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

To be totally honest the road toll system here is relatively new and not many people seem to know what is going on, If I was you I would just drive until I get to a toll gate and pay the fee they ask, alternatively you could find a RTSA (Road traffic and Safety) office and ask them for what you are liable for.

Sorry I cant be of more help

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tripodontour For This Useful Post:

To answer my own question for the benefit of others:

we we got to the first road toll barrier and they asked for 50kw (it's a truck, looks like a truck etc...). They told me to go to the RTSA office in Kasama to get a permit.
    There they didn't seem to know what to do. They asked where I would be going - when I told them "everywhere because we're tourists" it obviously didn't compute with them!
    Finally they gave me a permit for Mbala to Livingstone and return for 20USD.
    I asked them if this meant that I wouldn't have to pay anything at the barriers - they told me I would still have to.
    The same day at the first barrier they asked for the permit, stamped it and waved us through....... Been the same at all other barriers so far, but we haven't yet deviated from the prescribed route too much.

One other thing - we got stopped by one bunch of police, asked for papers - provided the Comesa, UK drivers licence, permit etc, After a while the officer told me that I should either have an international driving licence or have got a Zambian licence from RTSA. He was going to try to fine me for this - until I surprised them with an international licence I had hidden away. They didn't even bother to examine the international licence, just looked disappointed! Not sure if this was going to be a scam, the object of an international licence is as a translation, as they all speak good English and my licence is UK I suspect something here.

Ian

As a tourist or visitor you are allowed to drive on your license from your own country for 3 months, but it has to be a card photo license not the old pink or even older green paper UK license. An international is also accepted

What about your 3rd Party Insurance.
    What did it cost and for how many months?

I thought so for the drivers licence - mine is a photo card so should have been accepted - and that's what I told them. Just lucky we found he international licence as it stopped them dead in their tracks! We haven't been asked for this in 6 years traveling!

As to insurance we are using Comesa purchased in Tanzania so can't comment on Zam insurance costs.

Ian

Third party Insurance need to be purchased on all vehicles when entering Zambia.