Holiday Overland 4x4 - Petrol vs Diesel Hilux (and high mileage?)

Lightbulb Holiday Overland 4x4 - Petrol vs Diesel Hilux (and high mileage?)

Hi Guys, I am looking to buy a holiday 4x4 (I currently work in the merchant Navy abroad, and have 5-6 month holiday a year with no set home) to spend 3-4 months of my year overlanding/road tripping/camping in Southern Africa (I grew up in SA/Botswana/Mozam so I know the areas well). I have decided on a Hilux (as solo travel - reliability is an issue, especially being a landy fan), and my main concern is reliability. The vehicle will be stored for 3-4 months at a time (Still to find a place in SA that stores). Now I am not trying to start the Diesel vs Petrol debate again, but if it was not your daily driver, considering the 4L (2008-2010) is quite a bit cheaper, and has less parts (as far as I am aware) that can go wrong, is it purely fuel consumption that is the petrol hilux's downfall? I plan to take super slow long journeys through Nam, Bots, SA and Zim mostly. I am not a speed freak and don't mind the slow 2.5 D4d. But the service intervals and potential for injector failure etc concerns me.Any Tips? My budget is around R150 - R200 k, maybe more about R300k if I wait a year (but patience isn't my strong point).With my price range I am looking at a older (08' - 10' Hilux with 200k - 230k km on the clock, if that affects decision making)Cheers! (Also, having worked in the UK for the past 2 years prior to the shipping industry, the UK is ###, and I miss african soil big time).
    Last edited by Gman_ZA; 2018/04/09 at 07:01 AM.
    2002 LC 100VX 4.2TD - Frank the Tank [Current]

2002 SWB Pajero 3.5 GDI [5 Years in SACPE getting treated like hell - not a happy customer];
    2000 Suzuki Jimny [Sold]

Default Re: Holiday Overland 4x4 - Petrol vs Diesel Hilux (and high mileage?)

Based on the periodic use and the chance of duff diesel outside of ZA, I'd say any petrol, even the 2.7 VVT-i.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

2.7 and V6 has the same fuel consumption. Get the V6
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    2.7 and V6 has the same fuel consumption. Get the V6
    and they are probably selling for less than the 2.7
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Angry Re: Holiday Overland 4x4 - Petrol vs Diesel Hilux (and high mileage?)

Also, HOW does one put sentences on different lines in this forum?Using enter doesnt seem to translate once posting it, for my signature as well as general text??
    2002 LC 100VX 4.2TD - Frank the Tank [Current]

2002 SWB Pajero 3.5 GDI [5 Years in SACPE getting treated like hell - not a happy customer];
    2000 Suzuki Jimny [Sold]