TDI Jimny Project - Page 2





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    31
    Posts
    46
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    you need to do some home work.
    it's definitely not going to be reliable.
    Ocin do you have experience with this specific engine? Standard the Tdi pushes out 96kw and I'll redo software add a decent intercooler and get a good exhaust system. Maybe install a bigger turbo. I know of a few heavily modified tdi's that's more reliable than some toyota engines. There's a guy in Centurion that's got more than 500000km on his tdi and have never opened his engine. I'm no mechanic but I spoke to many people in the business.
    Last edited by Altus 4x4; 2018/03/30 at 07:45 PM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    31
    Posts
    46
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    At Whooooopah! last year there was a wine farmer with an old SJ (smaller than a Jimny) with a Golf GTi motor that had been tweaked.

    I'll ask Frans Reichert, Quack & Grips to post more info...
    Awesome I'll appreciate that!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    31
    Posts
    46
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy_ZA View Post
    I would look for the 3 cyl polo diesel motor.. space problem solved!
    What's the power output on that and how much can it be modified?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    31
    Posts
    46
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Die 1.5 nissan/Renault engine word gebruik in nissan, Renault, suzuki , Mercedes (A, B, CDA class)infiniti, dacia, mahindra
    Hoe betroubaar is die engine en watse tipe krag sit hy uit?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    12,743
    Thanked: 2430

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    83 kw. Redelikke no nonsense engine. Is al baie lank in gebruik.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,377
    Thanked: 120

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Altus 4x4 View Post
    Ocin do you have experience with this specific engine? Standard the Tdi pushes out 96kw and I'll redo software add a decent intercooler and get a good exhaust system. Maybe install a bigger turbo. I know of a few heavily modified tdi's that's more reliable than some toyota engines. There's a guy in Centurion that's got more than 500000km on his tdi and have never opened his engine. I'm no mechanic but I spoke to many people in the business.
    How reliable the TDI will be is besides the point, the rest of the drivetrain will probably not survive all the torque.
    Dewald

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,555
    Thanked: 2192

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Considering the raw weight difference and the extra space needed for the turbo and intercooler you can assume it's going to struggle to fit and be a huge pain to work on.

    A radical engine swop like that is only for a seriously skilled enthusiast who will do loads of the work themselves or someone with bucket loads of money. Even then that would not be the vehicle for driving around Africa, for that you want near stock standard and something tried and tested to be bulletproof.
    I do agree with Skylark.

    I have done more conversions than the average man. Why would you risk into Africa with a conversion that spares will be hard to find.

    Your idea of the conversion would be fun if you use it as a toy.

    You can get Patrols, Prado`s and older 80/ 100 series Cruisers that are ore suited for overlanding.

    Then there are very few in South Africa that can do reliable conversions.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:


  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    32
    Posts
    212
    Thanked: 86

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Altus 4x4 View Post
    What's the power output on that and how much can it be modified?
    Factory highest output if i recall is about 70kw and 250nm, but its a PD motor same as the 1.9 just with one less cylinder I would imagine tuning would be pretty similar!
    2017 Honda Jazz 1.2
    EX: 2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCi D/C
    Ex: 2008 X3 2.0d

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    57
    Posts
    16,452
    Thanked: 2348

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Altus. forget the VW engine, it's a crap idea.
    Get the Renault Nissan 1.5dCi motor that was fitted to many Renaults & the Nissan Micra & NP200 pickup here in SA.

    Read this, you can thank me later...

    https://www.bigjimny.com/index.php/f...tid=7&id=58308

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Edenvale
    Posts
    219
    Thanked: 163

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    I killed 2 kangoo's with that motor. They also need to be revved to get going. Sold my jimny in 2011 - was busy welding the seat rails to make myself fit so I can't remember the space inside the engine bay and gearbox areas - it was under warranty so I didn't touch. The 19tdi or 2.0tdi would be a nice conversion but would involve a hell of a lot of work. The adapter plates etc can be made by Gilo engineering but like DCR said the rest of the drive-train is the issue either from the torque and/or the gear ratios. You would break the jimny before you break the engine. The newer polo/golf/audi petrol Tsi's etc with the 12/1400 turbo motors might be a better pricier bet. Rent one for a test drive at a car rental, you will be surprised.

    The sump is aluminium so it will be expensive to cut and modify - to drop the height of the motor. The exhaust and intake may have to be remade - easy enough. The intercooler can fitted anywhere, like a pajero or use a water cooled intercooler like on the Bmw m3. The engine is quite a compact design. I would cut into the firewall to move the motor back and lower but that would affect the gearbox lever position. You would have to work out how the dash clocks work. If it is Can then you need someone with experience to play around, so you will need full wiring diagrams for the suzuki and the vw edc16 ecu. All diesels are heavy so you will have to uprate your suspension as well - then the brakes etc. There is still a lot more involved but just as a general idea.

    I don't know the local passats but the pictures from overseas show them in the typical engine layout for rwd and there is very little space - just to give you an idea. (Yes they are fwd) You could even look at a rolled Amarok at a scrapyard and modify that to fit. That would be a conversion of note.

    Don't forget the joys of having the police clearance done. After spending all this money you may never recover it if you want to sell it later on. But its all about having fun.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to HobieDave For This Useful Post:


  13. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,183
    Thanked: 101

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    It can be done. It has been done and it works. Not sure if it's worth the money spend though.

    The pd 1.9tdi fits in the bay with a rebuilt log style manifold to move the turbo up and a new intake manifold. The 2.0tdi will not fit, the 16v head are to big and will leave no space for the turbo. Will have to do a TDI gearbox as well else the gearing will be incorrect and not work. Will need the Bosch 16 ECU as well to make the engine run. It will be a great mod and can be reliable as the tdi's give little issues if looked after.

    I would how ever go down with a turbo size as the tdi's boost to late according to me. They have more than enough power to spare a bit high end power for a faster spool time. Had the 1.9tdi in my caddy and they are great in a 1.8t car. It would be more than enough for a mere 1t car. Leave it standard, drop turbo size and do the ecu. You'll be more than happy with the outcome.

    But there's alot of mods and alot of changes to be made. And you'll have a great powerfully, reliable monster getting around 16 - 19km/l

    But alot of work.
    Creeper

    Jimny 1.3 - Radial cup Protectors, Front & Center Bash Plates, 50mm EFS's, Rock Sliders, Front Recovery Points, Snorkel.


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to GremlinCreeper For This Useful Post:


  15. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    cape town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,197
    Thanked: 622

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Altus 4x4 View Post
    Ocin do you have experience with this specific engine? Standard the Tdi pushes out 96kw and I'll redo software add a decent intercooler and get a good exhaust system. Maybe install a bigger turbo. I know of a few heavily modified tdi's that's more reliable than some toyota engines. There's a guy in Centurion that's got more than 500000km on his tdi and have never opened his engine. I'm no mechanic but I spoke to many people in the business.
    You get the 74kw and 96kw versions.
    I know two guys that lost there engines in search of power.
    One at 120kw and the other at 130 something on the dyno.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ocin For This Useful Post:


  17. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    31
    Posts
    46
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    You get the 74kw and 96kw versions.
    I know two guys that lost there engines in search of power.
    One at 120kw and the other at 130 something on the dyno.
    Yep I realize that I don't need that much power but I'll make sure I don't mess the motor up.

  18. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    31
    Posts
    46
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by GremlinCreeper View Post
    It can be done. It has been done and it works. Not sure if it's worth the money spend though.

    The pd 1.9tdi fits in the bay with a rebuilt log style manifold to move the turbo up and a new intake manifold. The 2.0tdi will not fit, the 16v head are to big and will leave no space for the turbo. Will have to do a TDI gearbox as well else the gearing will be incorrect and not work. Will need the Bosch 16 ECU as well to make the engine run. It will be a great mod and can be reliable as the tdi's give little issues if looked after.

    I would how ever go down with a turbo size as the tdi's boost to late according to me. They have more than enough power to spare a bit high end power for a faster spool time. Had the 1.9tdi in my caddy and they are great in a 1.8t car. It would be more than enough for a mere 1t car. Leave it standard, drop turbo size and do the ecu. You'll be more than happy with the outcome.

    But there's alot of mods and alot of changes to be made. And you'll have a great powerfully, reliable monster getting around 16 - 19km/l

    But alot of work.
    Awesome! Thank you for the advice! How will I be able to make the 6 spd sportline transmission work on a 4x4 drivetrain?

  19. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    George
    Posts
    2,702
    Thanked: 985

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Altus 4x4 View Post
    Awesome! Thank you for the advice! How will I be able to make the 6 spd sportline transmission work on a 4x4 drivetrain?
    No problem, easy peasy.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:


  21. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    681
    Thanked: 257

    Default Re: TDI Jimny Project

    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie100 For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •