Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Herewith a report on our recent trip to these parts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Frans 90; 2018/03/27 at 09:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Thank you for the trip report, I was in the Transkei last weekend and it feels I need to go again.

    btw, there's not much left of the Jacaranda shipwreck, I doubt anything will be visible in 6months time. I've attached a pic of some not so easily noticeable remains.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    70
    Posts
    950

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Very comprehensive report and photos, thanks.

    We were at Balloch in Nov 2016 and also had a massive thunderstorm, fortunately, Margy Frost had said to us, "either camp well into the cave or outside", The grass in front of the cave looked very tempting but luckily we were well into the cave as the water absolutely poured down the front of the overhang.

    Looks like we will have to try Mbotyi as we enjoy Dwesa too.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Abu Dhabi
    Age
    54
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Exelent trip report, thank's Frans.
    With your permission I would like to borrow it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Puik Puik Frans sien jy is ook hier in Secunda awsome trip

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Deep south - mink, manure & marijuana
    Age
    69
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Thanks for a great report and photos Frans.
    It brings back many happy memories of a similar trip that we did a few years back.
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    WC
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,608

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Thanks for the nice report. How about posting the recipe for those muffins on the fire?
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,451

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Thanks for the reports!!! Been wanting to do the Wild Coast for a while now!!
    Also, we did the Drakensberge way back in 1998!!!! Would love to go back there
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkals. View Post
    Thank you for the trip report, I was in the Transkei last weekend and it feels I need to go again.

    btw, there's not much left of the Jacaranda shipwreck, I doubt anything will be visible in 6months time. I've attached a pic of some not so easily noticeable remains.
    Thanks, good to know I did not miss much ito Jacaranda.
    Last edited by Frans 90; 2018/04/02 at 06:32 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    Very comprehensive report and photos, thanks.

    We were at Balloch in Nov 2016 and also had a massive thunderstorm, fortunately, Margy Frost had said to us, "either camp well into the cave or outside", The grass in front of the cave looked very tempting but luckily we were well into the cave as the water absolutely poured down the front of the overhang.

    Looks like we will have to try Mbotyi as we enjoy Dwesa too.
    Thanks, We fortunately had the same advice from Margy. Mobotyi is way different to Dwesa, but as a mentioned, the forest part just before and the birds was really good.
    Last edited by Frans 90; 2018/03/29 at 12:08 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Quote Originally Posted by RonB View Post
    Exelent trip report, thank's Frans.
    With your permission I would like to borrow it
    Thanks, yes you may. What for?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Boslover View Post
    Puik Puik Frans sien jy is ook hier in Secunda awsome trip
    Dankie, ja is ook in Secunda. Behoort daai blou Landy te sien nou en dan, dit word daagliks gebruik.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    Thanks for a great report and photos Frans.
    It brings back many happy memories of a similar trip that we did a few years back.
    Thanks Sam. Will always be in the memory bank.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckzoo View Post
    Thanks for the nice report. How about posting the recipe for those muffins on the fire?
    Will do when I get the chance.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Thanks for the reports!!! Been wanting to do the Wild Coast for a while now!!
    Also, we did the Drakensberge way back in 1998!!!! Would love to go back there
    Thanks, You will not make a mistake going. The BL makes it so much easier to tour the coastline.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    62
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Thank you for a awesome report and your photos are really great

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    Thank you for a awesome report and your photos are really great
    Thanks Lizzie.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Frans 90 View Post
    Will do when I get the chance.
    Here is the muffin recipe. Pardon the Afrikaans.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  19. #19

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Frans thank you so much for a wonderful insightful report with all the pictures.
    Well done.
    If only more would take the trouble to give report back on their trips.
    Valuable info. for all.
    Thanks again.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Trip Report - Eastern Cape Highlands, Wildcoast & Drakensberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Frans thank you so much for a wonderful insightful report with all the pictures.
    Well done.
    If only more would take the trouble to give report back on their trips.
    Valuable info. for all.
    Thanks again.
    Thank you Peter, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •