Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: DIY window tint

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanked: 482

    Default DIY window tint

    I would like to give this a go but cant seem to find a supplier for the film. Dont trust the stuff at midas.

    Any ideas in centurion/pta for a supplier?
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA: Z85

    -Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gaborone, Botswana
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,496
    Thanked: 1594

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Kobus

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanked: 482

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Thanks!
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA: Z85

    -Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Randpark Ridge
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,443
    Thanked: 302

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Personally I would not do a DIY tint.

    When I had a car done years ago they took it into a controlled dust free room, took the doors apart to cover the whole window, and trimmings off for the back window.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanked: 482

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Its an old defender with its fair share of scratches, if it looks bad ill remove and have it done by professionals
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA: Z85

    -Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    51
    Posts
    289
    Thanked: 16

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Ive done ir myself. Take all the windows out. Wash carefully and be extra carefull with edges. It can be done DIY

    Charles
    Defender TDI 110 CSW
    Lift, Long Range Tanks, Dual Battery's, A few Dents and loads of FUN!
    Don't Regret Enjoying Life!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanked: 482

    Default DIY window tint

    Thanks charlie, good to hear someone has done it diy
    Last edited by pjf110; 2018/03/27 at 07:43 PM.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA: Z85

    -Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    363
    Thanked: 184

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Problem usually with the diy tint is how quick the color fades in the sun

    It becomes purple...

    With the real macoy done by the pros the colour last for years
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gqeberha
    Age
    49
    Posts
    15,995
    Thanked: 5134

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Quote Originally Posted by whosthejman View Post
    Problem usually with the diy tint is how quick the color fades in the sun

    It becomes purple...

    With the real macoy done by the pros the colour last for years
    Poor quality film, thats all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gqeberha
    Age
    49
    Posts
    15,995
    Thanked: 5134

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbiddog View Post
    Personally I would not do a DIY tint.

    When I had a car done years ago they took it into a controlled dust free room, took the doors apart to cover the whole window, and trimmings off for the back window.
    My JK was tinted under a tree at the office

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:


  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanked: 482

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    I will be buying smash and grab from what appears to be a large supplier. Will post results when Im finished....
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA: Z85

    -Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:


  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Sasolburg
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    I will be buying smash and grab from what appears to be a large supplier. Will post results when Im finished....
    Hi pjf110

    That will be really nice please post it and also the details of where you bought it.

    Keep well

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    49
    Posts
    151
    Thanked: 75

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    I have seen guys doing it at the parking lot of East Rand Flea Market, no idea how much they ask or what film they use.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanked: 1502

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    How do you take a few small bubbles out after the fact, my vehicle came with tint and there are some bubbles, not many but the perfectionist in me wants what it wants.

    Can I use a heat gun and felt squeegee to get them out and must I prick the bubble with a needle first?

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    George
    Age
    43
    Posts
    483
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    How do you take a few small bubbles out after the fact, my vehicle came with tint and there are some bubbles, not many but the perfectionist in me wants what it wants.

    Can I use a heat gun and felt squeegee to get them out and must I prick the bubble with a needle first?
    Whatever you do I would do it sooner rather than later. Try heatgun first, my experience with pricking the bubbles is that the holes are visible. Using a bit more soapy liquid helps to eliminate bubbles-wet the whole sheet throughly.
    '99 TD5 Hardtop
    '99 TD Discovery 2 Auto

    It's a Land Rover thing... and I get it now 8)

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanked: 1502

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Quote Originally Posted by louw78 View Post
    Whatever you do I would do it sooner rather than later. Try heatgun first, my experience with pricking the bubbles is that the holes are visible. Using a bit more soapy liquid helps to eliminate bubbles-wet the whole sheet throughly.
    The tint is probably a few yrs old already.

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanked: 482

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Ok so im almost finished. First windows not perfect because of wrong tool used to remove water but for the most part I am happy. Myself and a mate did our two defender 110ís. Excluding cargo windows as we plan on building gullwing doors.

    What we used:
    35% smash and grab window tint from Lamin8 in jhb.
    Squeegee water removal tool and card from Llumar( they refuse to sell film if you are not an accredited installer).
    Blade for removing dirt from windows.
    Tape measure.
    Box cutter.
    Soapy application mixture (750ml water to 5ml johnson bany shampoo) in spray bottle.

    As with most things measure twice and cut once. Prep is crucial.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5134.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	484065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5127.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	484066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4875.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	484067

    We only removed rear small windows as the film cannot be tucked into sides with them.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA: Z85

    -Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    363
    Thanked: 184

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    Ok so im almost finished. First windows not perfect because of wrong tool used to remove water but for the most part I am happy. Myself and a mate did our two defender 110ís. Excluding cargo windows as we plan on building gullwing doors.

    What we used:
    35% smash and grab window tint from Lamin8 in jhb.
    Squeegee water removal tool and card from Llumar( they refuse to sell film if you are not an accredited installer).
    Blade for removing dirt from windows.
    Tape measure.
    Box cutter.
    Soapy application mixture (750ml water to 5ml johnson bany shampoo) in spray bottle.

    As with most things measure twice and cut once. Prep is crucial.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5134.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	484065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5127.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	484066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4875.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	484067

    We only removed rear small windows as the film cannot be tucked into sides with them.
    Cost per meter for the film?
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gaborone, Botswana
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,496
    Thanked: 1594

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Looks good. Well done.

    How is the quality of the Lamin8 vs Llumar ?
    Kobus

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    363
    Thanked: 184

    Default Re: DIY window tint

    Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Looks good. Well done.

    How is the quality of the Lamin8 vs Llumar ?
    I was comparing the specs on the websites Lumin8 vs llumar on 150 microns 35%

    Same thickness of film being sold

    Lumin 8 claims 45% blockage of solar energy

    llumar 34% of heat

    Both block 99% of uv rays

    Depending on the cost seems like a viable option
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •