3 girls in Botswana, questions to the community ! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 3 girls in Botswana, questions to the community !

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Sometimes reading is advised
    Reading is not going to help much ... please all do a 4x4 course before you leave, its great fun and even a 1 day will make you much more competent.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jay For This Useful Post:

See:
    www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk
    for our experiences!
    Kevin and Michelle Heyes
    [/SIGPIC]
    www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk

Still need a Khwai campsite?

Try AirBnB. Search: Khwai, North-West District, Botswana

I'm staying at: https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/16452692...ana&s=BZVoGn1A

I have it booked for a night later this year. I think the prices have gone up an bit but you're likely paying $50US per person per night anyways.

Good Luck.

Last October we slept 2 nights in the Airbb in the Kwai.
    There is only 1 double bed.
    It s a very nice place

Girls
    Did a similar trip with my wife and 2 twenty year old daughters last year.
    My thoughts:
    - Too many places ! Camping is as much part (more) of the trip as the drive. Suggest a minimum 2 night stay at far fewer campsites.
    - It is surprisingly easy to get lost ! Take good, detailed maps. We where not able to buy maps there.
    - Thick sand driving takes some getting used to. It is also very, very slow. You will average about 40km per hour (and burn a lot of fuel). With that in mind, look at your distances.
    - Does your vehicle have a long range tank ? You cannot buy fuel in Chobe or Moremi. So you need a range of about 800 km.
    - You can do about anything in Africa except drive at night.
    - Would not try to do Chobe/Moremi and Kalahari in the time you have.
    - Speak to Botswana Footprints
    Failed the physical for the Groot Trek

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cape Town For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Town View Post
    Girls
    Did a similar trip with my wife and 2 twenty year old daughters last year.
    My thoughts:
    - Too many places ! Camping is as much part (more) of the trip as the drive. Suggest a minimum 2 night stay at far fewer campsites.
    - It is surprisingly easy to get lost ! Take good, detailed maps. We where not able to buy maps there.
    -
    - Would not try to do Chobe/Moremi and Kalahari in the time you have.
    This is the best advice so far !!
    Get tracks 4 africa on your gps
    Learn to fix a puncture
    Make sure you have a decent pump to inflate the tyres again.
    Take jerry cans for a total of 100 to 120 litres of fuel for chobe to Moremi (2 day drive)
    Average speeds will be about 20 km/h if you are in a hurry.
    Minimum 3 litre drinking water pp per day

If you do a driving course make sure it can teach you sand driving. If it cannot, find another.
    Is the vehicle an automatic ?

You are welcome to visit me for a discussion. I live in Centurion

Would just like to throw my details in for any breakdowns or vehicle recoveries from mud etc, please contact me 24/7. i cover Moremi, Chobe, Nxai Pan, and CKGR.

Jason
    4x4bushwarrior

00267 72 908 372

Land Rover Defender V8 pick up, to be used as donor for 130 double cab with tray back
    Land Cruiser 4500 pick up
    Land Cruiser 80 series 4.5 carb

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kalaharilandy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey309 View Post
    We are 3 French girls, doing a 10-day road trip in Botswana (from Jobg), end of May, beginning of June. I have a few questions:
    - This is our itinerary : Khama Rhino (1 night), Kubu Island Campsite (1 night), Ilaha Campsite (1 night), Savuti or Linyanti (1 night), Xakanaxa Campsite (1 night), The Old Bridge Backpackers (2 nights), Khalari (Passarge Valley campsite, 1 or 2 nights to find). Is it a good one ?
    - We are spending 3 nights in Chobe/Moremi. We have booked campsite in Xakanaxa Campsite and Ilaha Campsite, but for the night in the middle, we wanted to stay in Savuti Campsite or Linyanti Campsite, but both are fully booked (as well as Third Bridge). Do you have an idea of campsites in this area we can stay in ?
    - Has someone heard or try Magotho campsite in Khwai area ? Is it a good one ? Could it be a good option ?
    - From Maun, to Jobg, we have 2 nights. I wanted to try the north of Khalari, around Passarge Valley or Deception Valley. I heard that it is very complicated to drive in the Kalahari. Of course, we have a 4x4, and all we have our driving licenses since 4 years, but would you say that you need to be very experienced when it comes to drive from Maun to your Passarge Valley campsite for exemple ? Would you advice not to go ?

And if there is any other tips you could give me, I am happy to hear it !!

Have a nice day ! thank you for your help !

Audrey

Audrey, brilliant choice of locations but you really need 20 days to do them all, otherwise you'll spend all your time driving and setting up camp and no time getting to know your surrounds or viewing animals. Don't forget you'lll see so many more animals by driving slowly and when you have good sightings you'll want to wait. You'll have lots of advice from others i'm sure, but maybe it's better for you to aim for 2 nights at each site. Some of your legs e.g. Kubu to ihaha would be exhausting. Magotho is very good but there is nothing there and the animals are wild at night, so you must be confident about camping with elephant and lions around. Forget ckgr until you've done more bush trips.
    How about 2 nights kubu (a magical mystical place), 1 night maun, 2 nights xakanaxa, 1 night north gate moremi (or magotho), long drive through savute if fully booked, 2 nights ihaha, nata lodge (& bird reserve) then home. Good luck
    russell

Quote Originally Posted by audrey309 View Post
    we are 3 french girls, doing a 10-day road trip in botswana (from jobg), end of may, beginning of june. I have a few questions:
    - this is our itinerary : Khama rhino (1 night), kubu island campsite (1 night), ilaha campsite (1 night), savuti or linyanti (1 night), xakanaxa campsite (1 night), the old bridge backpackers (2 nights), khalari (passarge valley campsite, 1 or 2 nights to find). Is it a good one ?
    - we are spending 3 nights in chobe/moremi. We have booked campsite in xakanaxa campsite and ilaha campsite, but for the night in the middle, we wanted to stay in savuti campsite or linyanti campsite, but both are fully booked (as well as third bridge). Do you have an idea of campsites in this area we can stay in ?
    - has someone heard or try magotho campsite in khwai area ? Is it a good one ? Could it be a good option ?
    - from maun, to jobg, we have 2 nights. I wanted to try the north of khalari, around passarge valley or deception valley. I heard that it is very complicated to drive in the kalahari. Of course, we have a 4x4, and all we have our driving licenses since 4 years, but would you say that you need to be very experienced when it comes to drive from maun to your passarge valley campsite for exemple ? Would you advice not to go ?

And if there is any other tips you could give me, i am happy to hear it !!

Have a nice day ! thank you for your help !

Audrey

I f you are renting a vehicle I can assist with a checklist. There are many pitfalls.
    mail me at [email protected].

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2