New VW Amarok V6 oil consumption - PROBLEMATIC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy New VW Amarok V6 oil consumption - PROBLEMATIC

Hello

I bought a new Amarok V6 auto 4 motion in November 2017 and have been experiencing excessive oil consumption rates thus far.

On about 8000km I had to find 5W40 in the middle of nowhere while in Lesotho just to add approximately 1.5L after the check oil level light came on!!!

3500km after the 15 000km service the light has come on again and I had to add another 500ml!!

Is this oil consumption rate on par with other Amarok V6 or Amarok 2.0L diesel engines?

How are the Toyota's, Ford's etc. doing on oil consumption?

Does anybody know if the Amarok V6 is really the same/similar engine as the VW Touareg V6 tdi, Audi Q7 3.0 tdi, Porsche Cayenne diesel?

How are these SUV vehicles with the 'same or similar' engines doing on oil consumption?

Default Re: New VW Amarok V6 oil consumption - PROBLEMATIC

Something is not right. My 2l doesn't use oil between services. I carry 1l with me and never had to use it.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by vw_bvh View Post
    Hello

I bought a new Amarok V6 auto 4 motion in November 2017 and have been experiencing excessive oil consumption rates thus far.

On about 8000km I had to find 5W40 in the middle of nowhere while in Lesotho just to add approximately 1.5L after the check oil level light came on!!!

3500km after the 15 000km service the light has come on again and I had to add another 500ml!!

Is this oil consumption rate on par with other Amarok V6 or Amarok 2.0L diesel engines?

Does anybody know if the Amarok V6 is really the same/similar engine as the VW Touareg V6 tdi, Audi Q7 3.0 tdi, Porsche Cayenne diesel?

How are these SUV vehicles with the 'same or similar' engines doing on oil consumption?
    Ask the dealer what oil they used.

Also change the air filter. A restrictive air filter will draw more crank vapours to the intake.

It may also settle as the engine breaks in. New engines tend to use a bit more oil during the first 30'000km or so.

At elephant sands I started chatting to a guy that towed with his v6. 4000km and oil light came on.

To me you should never need to do oil topups on a new vehicle. The bs store of 500ml/2000km just boggles my mind

In a tip sheet to fleet-vehicle operators, GM says normal consumption "can be in the range of one quart within 2,000 miles on a properly driven and maintained vehicle."
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

Oil usage on those motors are not something I have ever heard of and yes it is the same basic bottom end etc as touareg, and audi that uses them.
    does it have a dipstick installed or an electronic level indicator. Perhaps it w not filled correctly at service. i have found on my and customer cars that often on those the initial indication is not accurate and after topping it up once after a service it does not come on again till the next service. If you really have a usage issue I'd get vw to look at it before warranty expires.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

Seem to be a VW thing. My 2006 Jetta 2L petrol turbo use app. 5L of oil between 15k km services, also expensive 5W40 synthetic oil. Was so in 2006 and is still the same. Not smoking but my first ever car to do so. Anyway my last VW, will settle on Toyota for my last days. The Cruiser work like a donkey and don't use a drop of oil or water, besides for the window washer, in 10k km service intervals.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2018/03/28 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    Seem to be a VW thing. My 2006 Jetta 2L petrol turbo use app. 5L of oil between 15k km services, also expensive 5W40 synthetic oil. Was so in 2006 and is still the same. Not smoking but my first ever car to do so. Anyway my last VW, will settle on Toyota for my last days. The Cruiser work like a donkey and don't use a drop of oil or water, besides for the window washer, in 10k km service intervals.
    Im on third vw.

None of them used oil.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Im on third vw.

None of them used oil.
    I'm on my 5th Toyota and have never checked the oil
    FJC - Just Cruising

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I'm on my 5th Toyota and have never checked the oil
    No wonder you go through toyotas like candy

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Had a 2.0L, used 500ml between each service interval, only owned it for two intervals though. (9000km - 30000km)

Quote Originally Posted by vw_bvh View Post
    Hello

I had the same experience towing from Nelspruit to Hondeklipbaai in December. The oil light of the V6 came on at Bloemfontein where I had to stop at the local VW dealer to top up. It took a whole bottle. About 300km or so further at De Aar the light came on again. This was my overnight stop. Not being able to source 507 grade in such a small town I carried on the next morning to Vredendal. Curiously the light didn't come on the next morning but did again on route to Vredendal. There I topped up with another bottle. Now before I carry on the towing conditions was strenuous, 38 Degrees outside temp with a head wind towing a heavy offroad trailer. The service Manager at Vredendal VW showed me a page in the owners manual explaining that the nature of the high performance V6 engine and that it will use oil under heavy load. He said his dealership only uses Castrol oil as in their experience VW diesel vehicles use less oil on Castrol than any other brand.

Back home in Nelspruit the local dealer serviced the Amarok. I did 1000km on the new oil and drained again at the dealership to do comparative weight test to the old oil and it was within the tolerances VW allows.

I would say take in with tongue in the cheek....it uses oil under heavy working conditions.

p.s. Neither of my 2 previous 2L Amaroks used oil...not that I ever checked the dipstick. The warning light never came on.
    Last edited by landbruiser; 2018/03/28 at 09:24 AM.

Im on third vw.

None of them used oil.
    Guess they were standing in the garage most of the time?

4x4 VW's, need VW mechanics to be flow from Uitenhage to Kenia with parts to fix, aka Voetspore.

They need Andre de Villiers previously from Safari Centre with twisted camera angles to sell 4x4's.

This is my 4th VW, a 1975 1600 Beetle, a 1989 1.8 CLX Jetta, a 1996 2.0 CLI Jetta and this 2006 2L turbo FSI (petrol) Jetta with 6 speed manual. All good cars but on the latest one, the issue of using oil, the roof lining is coming apart, I had to replace the high pressure fuel pump running off the one cam twice with a cam, last time at R18k. The aircon compressor packed up at R12k. So VW is not what they used to be, on the older ones no such issues. My old 18 year old Colt has worked much harder with none of these issues and my 2007 1Hz Cruiser has no issues. VW is a soft vehicle for city dwellers and useless if you don't have a motorplan to keep it on the road.

So play with your one and enjoy it, this is my last one. I used to be a huge supporter but sorry, no more.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2018/03/28 at 11:46 AM.

We live in times were we need to play it save and document our actions

If it was my vehicle, being new and under warranty, I will take it back to VW to inspect. Make sure they open a Job Card with your complain on it. Ask for your copy of the work done. If no repair was done there should still be a diagnostic job card.

If they find a fault - problem sorted
    If they don't - Carry your oil with you and report the oil usage at every scheduled service and let them document it on the Job Card.

Not ideal but this is how I would approach this issue.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

I am a close to 245 000 and need no oil between services.
    Mostly I drive unladen and one up. When I tow I tend to drop a gear as soon as it canít pull so this means van reenens in 4th.

Mine is a 2ltr 90kw though.

I believe vw consider 1l/1000km normal which I think is a rubbish, but it covers them.

I may be wrong, but I would regard any oil usage as a sign of bad things in the engine. Also what about the environmental impact of spewing all those hydrocarbons out?

Just wait until the engine has run in.

Those cylinder walls and rings and very hard!

Im sure it will improve but definitely put it in writing to the dealer.

Just wait until the engine has run in.

Those cylinder walls and rings and very hard!

Im sure it will improve but definitely put it in writing to the dealer.
    When I was doing more work with Toyota, they would consider a vehicle suitable for testing and fully run in at 2000km.

Anything odd beyond that point would be considered abnormal.

I am not sure vw policy, but given your mileage I would not be waiting longer for better things to happen. Escalate to vw head office and commit everything to writing and print out any email responses.

Personally I think you have a Lemon and better to get it fixed now than keep hoping it will get better.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

I've had several VWs

they've all used oil, even from new
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Last edited by TwinDisco; 2018/03/28 at 12:45 PM.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

My V6 had 800 km on the clock when I towed my off-road camp trailer with it for 400km. Since then didn't do any towing. On 8000km it went in to the dealer in George for a powersteering hose recall and at the time I asked them to please check engine oil level. When I got it back they said they had to add 500ml of engine oil.

So it used a bit oil, but not much. Have to say it's the first of all the vehicles I bought new to use oil between services. Will keep monitoring it.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

I'm on my second D-4D. First one used about 1 L between services up to 60,000 km and after that nothing between services (car was sold on 400,000 km with no mechanical issues up to that point). Second one hasn't used oil from new (currently on 250,000 km), exactly the same engine.

Toyota allows up to 500ml/1000km (7.5L between services on my car!).
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast