New VW Amarok V6 oil consumption - PROBLEMATIC - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: New VW Amarok V6 oil consumption - PROBLEMATIC

The v6 has a dip stick and an electronic indicator.
    When the indicator comes on on the dash the level is below the minimum on the dip stick. Not sure how much volume is actually still remaining in the sump.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    Oil usage on those motors are not something I have ever heard of and yes it is the same basic bottom end etc as touareg, and audi that uses them.
    does it have a dipstick installed or an electronic level indicator. Perhaps it w not filled correctly at service. i have found on my and customer cars that often on those the initial indication is not accurate and after topping it up once after a service it does not come on again till the next service. If you really have a usage issue I'd get vw to look at it before warranty expires.

VW is claiming this is normal oil consumption rate for the v6.
    However they are not willing yet to put this on an official letter from VW SA. Only shown me copies from the manual ( which I also saw when studying it).

Not happy though driving a bottle of oil in,you V6...

I also think they've sold me a lemon..

However waiting for an official response from VW SA.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    When I was doing more work with Toyota, they would consider a vehicle suitable for testing and fully run in at 2000km.

Anything odd beyond that point would be considered abnormal.

I am not sure vw policy, but given your mileage I would not be waiting longer for better things to happen. Escalate to vw head office and commit everything to writing and print out any email responses.

Personally I think you have a Lemon and better to get it fixed now than keep hoping it will get better.

VW recommended 5W40 on the first indication of low oil.

Recently they changed their prescription to 5W30.

Finding either of the two above oils in rural areas of SA is a CHALLENGE..

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    I often think that oil quality plays a role.In my old tech Td5 it only used oil between services once when my Indy used 15W40. After going to a known good quality 5W40, the oil level has never dropped again. This was 6 years ago.

But then, we assume/know that dealers use top notch oil during services.
    Edit: I would not be too concerned if it uses a bit during the 1st 2000km. That I see often on TDi's.

Thanks..
    Pity though..

Some useless information : Jaguar F pace 3.0d is serviced every 30 000km and requires NO oil top up between services (friend owns one and DRIVES it).? Much higher performance engine.
    Cannot figure out why?? It has a ford engine...

Quote Originally Posted by Karezza View Post
    Relax. I've had 2 v6 Touaregs and now the v6 Amarok. They all use oil for the first 50 000 kms or so. My 2l Amarok never needed extra oil though.
    Last edited by vw_bvh; 2018/04/08 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks for the info.

Does yours still consume oil?
    Mine still going at drinking oil.

Tomorrow the v6 is at the dealer again for oil check and replacing front seat. Will keep you posted on VW SA feedback.

My gearbox makes an annoying humming noise.. Vw says it is normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Barnard View Post
    I'm on 10 000km now with the V6, overall not impressed, I think the gearbox actually spoils the hole drive, but that's for another day. But at 3500km my oil was finished, I have towed my Caravan from my home to the shop that is 13km away threw town, so it's never worked hard regarding towing and it finished its first sump of oil.
    VW said it will use oil until 7000-9000km and then it won't use any more. Im shocked at it, I go threw cars way to fast and have never ever added oil to any one of them and Im a land rover fan so that says alot, but now at 10 000km it seams like the oilcoholick has slowed down a bit, I just checked now as I'm leaving on holiday tomorrow and it's on 3/4 , so pathetic to have to check the oil on something that's a few months old, I would love to sell the dumb thing but to take a loss after 6 months is silly, and also because my friends made a bet that I would not last 1year with it, so I'm frustrating myself just not to loose a bet, but fortunately I don't have to drive it, I just leave it and rather use something else.
    But my opinion is the V6 is not worth it at all, maybe the 2L yes, that's a better drive I feel, this V6 was not designed, it was put together with parts that were available.

Thanks.

Please send me Andre's contact details.

I haven't towed anything yet.
    Mostly tarred Road driving and about 1000km dirt roads and tracks.
    Driving conditions were in normal SA temperatures.. Nothing abnormal I would say.

Will keep you posted on oil consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by VW FAN View Post
    Hi, you are welcome to talk to Andre de Villiers regarding this issue.
    See below his response:

DieAmarok V6 gebruik olie veral tot 15000km agv die "running in oil".Maar daarna behoort hy nie meer as 500ml op n 1000km te gebruik in normaleomstandighede nie.
    Dalksleep die man, of ry hy hoë sooed of baie warm buite temperature.

André de Villiers
    +27828007743
    www.andre4x4.co.za

VW Greetings

I agree.. Running in oil in modern diesel for the money we pay for them. Simply unacceptable.

As per previous response to another response : Jaguar F pace with 3.0d.. Ford engine.. No oil top up between 30 000 km services....??

What will happen to the 190kW Amarok?

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    Wat is "running in oil" Dit is my eerste voertuig ooit wat olie tussen dienste nodig het en dit sluit trokke in\!!! My Isuzu het vir die eerste keer op 560000km so 300ml tussen dieste gebruik en dit was die eerste voertuig wat n bietjie olie gebruik het. Nou is my V6 die tweede. Ek stem ook saam met n vorige pos wat se die ratkas is nie naby so goed gestel met die V6 as wat hy is op die 2l. Hierdie een sukkel om te weet waar hy moet wees.

DieAmarok V6 gebruik olie veral tot 15000km agv die "running in oil".Maar daarna behoort hy nie meer as 500ml op n 1000km te gebruik in normaleomstandighede nie.
    Dalksleep die man, of ry hy hoë sooed of baie warm buite temperature.

André de Villiers
    +27828007743
    www.andre4x4.co.za

VW Greetings
    [/QUOTE]

Good question.. When I bought the Amarok I asked the dealership on the run in procedure.
    They said that 'Ek kan maar die bakkie TRAP van die begin af' as these engines are run in at the assembly plant.

Off course I ignored the dealership's ridiculous advice and drove the car according to what VW actually stipulate in the owner's manual which is a typical run in procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisEnslin View Post
    Did you follow the run in procedure as per the manual?
    I have had four cars with the V6 3 liter.
    Audi Q5 - 10000km sold
    Touareg V6 - 15000 km sold
    Amarok V6 ( got replace due to a paint defect ) 7500km replaces
    Amarok V6 ( current one ) 2800km- current once

All of them had no oil usage issues, Given, I did follow the run in procedure and did a 1500 oil change. It makes sense to do the run in procedure, parts "mate" and I think its needed. Many will disagree saying that modern engines don't need it. And they might be right. But from my experience, never had an issue. I also dont redlince the engine from robot to robot, but do occasionally unleash the beast.

If you did follow the run in procedure, then I dont know

Thanks for your comments. Good to hear some positive experience.

Will keep you posted on VW SA official response once they get to it.. Been taking about 2 months with no response. Do you perhaps have a contact there who could help escalate my query and accelerate an official response ?
    On the gearbox issue : My gearbox makes a humming noise which can be heard below wind noise. VW claims this is normal.. Annoying as it is it could be expected I guess.. Does yours sound the same?

Quote Originally Posted by RynoB View Post
    I bought my V6 in Oct 2017. 2 weeks after purchase I went with the caravan to Whoopa.
    Did dune driving and attempted Long dune a few times. This was on in extreme heat conditions.
    Left Whoopa for Port Nolith and toured the Western and Southern Cape and towed for approx. 7100 Km.

Standing on 13600 Km now and did not us a drop of oil.

I had 2 x 2.0 L Amaroks previously. Loved them to bits.
    The 2.0 L was a fantastic vehicle but the V6 is in a total different class. It is stupid even to try doing a comparison between the two.

I see someone complained about the gearbox, go and see a well known dealer, mine was reported to VW SA and sorted in a day. Something to do with torque settings.
    Stop complaining and do something about it, anything can be sorted and VW SA is more than willing to assist.

* I am no working for or at VW SA

Hi there

Also had to top up oil at 10 000 kms. When it went for the first service, had them check and was advised all was ok. Now on 23 000 kms and seems to be ok.

Has anybody had issues with high idling due to the diesel soot regeneration? They manual says that this is caused should you do short runs. However, I have experienced the high idling after travelling 4 hrs. Have taken it back 3 times but have been told that's what it is. Not being mechanical, I am not sure what to believe.

Regen needs a very specific set of circumstances and 4 hour drive at the same lowish rpm might not satisfy that criteria. Read the manual for a specific regen procedure or let the dealership kick it off with VAS.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Quote Originally Posted by markspark View Post
    Hi there

Also had to top up oil at 10 000 kms. When it went for the first service, had them check and was advised all was ok. Now on 23 000 kms and seems to be ok.

Has anybody had issues with high idling due to the diesel soot regeneration? They manual says that this is caused should you do short runs. However, I have experienced the high idling after travelling 4 hrs. Have taken it back 3 times but have been told that's what it is. Not being mechanical, I am not sure what to believe.

My brother has the same with his V6.

My V6 with 5500km idles high on short or long runs, I cannot find a correlation. It also consumes oil, not much, but it is normal, nothing to be concerned about. I did the run in as per manual. I am on my 3rd Amarok since 2011, manual 4 motion BiTdi, 2013 Auto 4 motion (one of my best vehicles) and this very special V6, turning out to be one of my all-time favorites. Very few come close.
    Always look for reasons why things can be done

Amarok 4motion 8 speed Auto
    Golf 7 GTi DSG 2015

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3