New VW Amarok V6 oil consumption - PROBLEMATIC - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: New VW Amarok V6 oil consumption - PROBLEMATIC

Last edited by Bosvark Kzn; 2018/03/30 at 11:53 AM.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

I have the 2.0 liter. And it uses about 1 liter of oil between service intervals. I questioned this with vw and they mentioned that it is considered normal. My opinion is I think itís got something to do with the bi - turbo configuration. A friend of mine at work drives the 120kw bi-turbo. And it also uses 1 liter of oil between services. I havenít seen to my recording that the single turbo configuration of 90 and 103 kw uses oil.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zander Swart For This Useful Post:

I often think that oil quality plays a role.
    In my old tech Td5 it only used oil between services once when my Indy used 15W40. After going to a known good quality 5W40, the oil level has never dropped again. This was 6 years ago.

But then, we assume/know that dealers use top notch oil during services.
    Edit: I would not be too concerned if it uses a bit during the 1st 2000km. That I see often on TDi's.
    Last edited by Sawdust; 2018/04/02 at 09:40 AM.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sawdust For This Useful Post:

Relax. I've had 2 v6 Touaregs and now the v6 Amarok. They all use oil for the first 50 000 kms or so. My 2l Amarok never needed extra oil though.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karezza For This Useful Post:

I'm on 10 000km now with the V6, overall not impressed, I think the gearbox actually spoils the hole drive, but that's for another day. But at 3500km my oil was finished, I have towed my Caravan from my home to the shop that is 13km away threw town, so it's never worked hard regarding towing and it finished its first sump of oil.
    VW said it will use oil until 7000-9000km and then it won't use any more. Im shocked at it, I go threw cars way to fast and have never ever added oil to any one of them and Im a land rover fan so that says alot, but now at 10 000km it seams like the oilcoholick has slowed down a bit, I just checked now as I'm leaving on holiday tomorrow and it's on 3/4 , so pathetic to have to check the oil on something that's a few months old, I would love to sell the dumb thing but to take a loss after 6 months is silly, and also because my friends made a bet that I would not last 1year with it, so I'm frustrating myself just not to loose a bet, but fortunately I don't have to drive it, I just leave it and rather use something else.
    But my opinion is the V6 is not worth it at all, maybe the 2L yes, that's a better drive I feel, this V6 was not designed, it was put together with parts that were available.

Pm sent
    4x4 Groete
    Albert de Villiers
    Amarok BiTDi 4Motion
    Youtube Channel

www.andre4x4.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by vw_bvh View Post
    Hello

I bought a new Amarok V6 auto 4 motion in November 2017 and have been experiencing excessive oil consumption rates thus far.

On about 8000km I had to find 5W40 in the middle of nowhere while in Lesotho just to add approximately 1.5L after the check oil level light came on!!!

3500km after the 15 000km service the light has come on again and I had to add another 500ml!!

Is this oil consumption rate on par with other Amarok V6 or Amarok 2.0L diesel engines?

How are the Toyota's, Ford's etc. doing on oil consumption?

Does anybody know if the Amarok V6 is really the same/similar engine as the VW Touareg V6 tdi, Audi Q7 3.0 tdi, Porsche Cayenne diesel?

How are these SUV vehicles with the 'same or similar' engines doing on oil consumption?

Hi, you are welcome to talk to Andre de Villiers regarding this issue.
    See below his response:

DieAmarok V6 gebruik olie veral tot 15000km agv die "running in oil".Maar daarna behoort hy nie meer as 500ml op n 1000km te gebruik in normaleomstandighede nie.
    Dalksleep die man, of ry hy hoŽ sooed of baie warm buite temperature.

Andrť de Villiers
    +27828007743
    www.andre4x4.co.za

VW Greetings

Wat is "running in oil" Dit is my eerste voertuig ooit wat olie tussen dienste nodig het en dit sluit trokke in\!!! My Isuzu het vir die eerste keer op 560000km so 300ml tussen dieste gebruik en dit was die eerste voertuig wat n bietjie olie gebruik het. Nou is my V6 die tweede. Ek stem ook saam met n vorige pos wat se die ratkas is nie naby so goed gestel met die V6 as wat hy is op die 2l. Hierdie een sukkel om te weet waar hy moet wees.

DieAmarok V6 gebruik olie veral tot 15000km agv die "running in oil".Maar daarna behoort hy nie meer as 500ml op n 1000km te gebruik in normaleomstandighede nie.

Andrť de Villiers
    +27828007743
    www.andre4x4.co.za

VW Greetings[/QUOTE]
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    2019 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Tekna CVT
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Mazda Cx7 Turbo(Sold)
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

Hello

I bought a new Amarok V6 auto 4 motion in November 2017 and have been experiencing excessive oil consumption rates thus far.

On about 8000km I had to find 5W40 in the middle of nowhere while in Lesotho just to add approximately 1.5L after the check oil level light came on!!!

3500km after the 15 000km service the light has come on again and I had to add another 500ml!!

Is this oil consumption rate on par with other Amarok V6 or Amarok 2.0L diesel engines?

Does anybody know if the Amarok V6 is really the same/similar engine as the VW Touareg V6 tdi, Audi Q7 3.0 tdi, Porsche Cayenne diesel?

How are these SUV vehicles with the 'same or similar' engines doing on oil consumption?
    Did you follow the run in procedure as per the manual?

I have had four cars with the V6 3 liter.
    Audi Q5 - 10000km sold
    Touareg V6 - 15000 km sold
    Amarok V6 ( got replace due to a paint defect ) 7500km replaces
    Amarok V6 ( current one ) 2800km- current once

All of them had no oil usage issues, Given, I did follow the run in procedure and did a 1500 oil change. It makes sense to do the run in procedure, parts "mate" and I think its needed. Many will disagree saying that modern engines don't need it. And they might be right. But from my experience, never had an issue. I also dont redlince the engine from robot to robot, but do occasionally unleash the beast.

If you did follow the run in procedure, then I dont know

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by VW FAN View Post
    Hi, you are welcome to talk to Andre de Villiers regarding this issue.
    See below his response:

Andrť de Villiers
    +27828007743
    www.andre4x4.co.za

VW Greetings
    500 ml op n 1000 kilos is nie normaal nie........ die man snuif gom. Dalk moet hy maar meer bladskud elke keer as hy oor n sypaaidjie gery het....
    Last edited by Bartho; 2018/04/03 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
    500 ml op n 1000 kilos is nie normaal nie........ die man snuif gom. Dalk moet hy maar meer bladskud elke keer as hy oor n sypaaidjie gery het....
    15 liter op 30k, dis bietjie rof?

..Please fill up the oil & check the diesel + water please
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamakazi For This Useful Post:

I bought my V6 in Oct 2017. 2 weeks after purchase I went with the caravan to Whoopa.
    Did dune driving and attempted Long dune a few times. This was on in extreme heat conditions.
    Left Whoopa for Port Nolith and toured the Western and Southern Cape and towed for approx. 7100 Km.

Standing on 13600 Km now and did not us a drop of oil.

I had 2 x 2.0 L Amaroks previously. Loved them to bits.
    The 2.0 L was a fantastic vehicle but the V6 is in a total different class. It is stupid even to try doing a comparison between the two.

I see someone complained about the gearbox, go and see a well known dealer, mine was reported to VW SA and sorted in a day. Something to do with torque settings.
    Stop complaining and do something about it, anything can be sorted and VW SA is more than willing to assist.

* I am no working for or at VW SA

Ryno Black
    Amarok V6

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RynoB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RynoB View Post
    I bought my V6 in Oct 2017. 2 weeks after purchase I went with the caravan to Whoopa.
    Did dune driving and attempted Long dune a few times. This was on in extreme heat conditions.
    Left Whoopa for Port Nolith and toured the Western and Southern Cape and towed for approx. 7100 Km.

Standing on 13600 Km now and did not us a drop of oil.

I had 2 x 2.0 L Amaroks previously. Loved them to bits.
    The 2.0 L was a fantastic vehicle but the V6 is in a total different class. It is stupid even to try doing a comparison between the two.

I see someone complained about the gearbox, go and see a well known dealer, mine was reported to VW SA and sorted in a day. Something to do with torque settings.
    Stop complaining and do something about it, anything can be sorted and VW SA is more than willing to assist.

* I am no working for or at VW SA
    How do they fix the oil usage if VW say it is normal?

Not trying to sound insulting, just asking as a family member is interested in the V6 Amarok and I am curios to know what it can be.
    Last edited by Kennyg; 2018/04/03 at 11:02 AM.
    Kenneth

2020 Mercedes X - Class X250 4x4 Power

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyg For This Useful Post:

I had a 2011 Passat TSI, bought it at about 22 000 km, and it too started to use oil at about a 500ml can per 5000km-7000km, when I complained to VW I got the same reply as some of the upthread posters "it is within normal specifications". It too was the my first car, with such low kilometres, that the oil level light actually came on, I got such a scare the first time it happened, but you get use to the car drinking oil.

Dont let me start on the dreaded DSG gearbox, that thing is a liability. Had the clutch system replaced two times within a range of 50 000km. VW's has a lot of new fangled technologies, but it is all half baked, it's as if they are in a rush to get it out and in the market before it is really properly tested, sorry burned my fingers with VW, and the dealership and/or VW never acknowledged that the fault was on their side always something to do with how you drive it.

Regards

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vwvzyl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyg View Post
    How do they fix the oil usage if VW say it is normal?

Not trying to sound insulting, just asking as a family member is interested in the V6 Amarok and I am curios to know what it can be.
    99.9999 of the answers you get directly from your dealer is thumb sucked and plain unwillingness to assist.
    0.01 % of the dealers know their product they are selling.

Log a complaint at VWSA get a reference no and start talking to them on email only.
    You will be amazed at how fast they act and how far they are willing to go for you.

Direct no: 0860 434 737

Ryno Black
    Amarok V6

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RynoB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RynoB View Post
    99.9999 of the answers you get directly from your dealer is thumb sucked and plain unwillingness to assist.
    0.01 % of the dealers know their product they are selling.

Log a complaint at VWSA get a reference no and start talking to them on email only.
    You will be amazed at how fast they act and how far they are willing to go for you.

Direct no: 0860 434 737
    Thanks Ryno, will keep this in mind if needed in future
    Kenneth

2020 Mercedes X - Class X250 4x4 Power

Quote Originally Posted by vwvzyl View Post
    I had a 2011 Passat TSI, bought it at about 22 000 km, and it too started to use oil at about a 500ml can per 5000km-7000km, when I complained to VW I got the same reply as some of the upthread posters "it is within normal specifications". It too was the my first car, with such low kilometres, that the oil level light actually came on, I got such a scare the first time it happened, but you get use to the car drinking oil.

Dont let me start on the dreaded DSG gearbox, that thing is a liability. Had the clutch system replaced two times within a range of 50 000km. VW's has a lot of new fangled technologies, but it is all half baked, it's as if they are in a rush to get it out and in the market before it is really properly tested, sorry burned my fingers with VW, and the dealership and/or VW never acknowledged that the fault was on their side always something to do with how you drive it.

Regards
    there is not a single thing in common with the car you had and an amarok. Neither the engine nor the gearbox shares a single part.
    The fsi's are known for oil usage and piston breakages.
    The v6 has been around for a very long time in terms of car history in version 1 from 2004 and over 1.6 million of those were made. I have owned quite a number of them in various vehicles and versions of them and not a single one used oil. Most of them on pretty high milages(over 200k km).
    They are now on version 2 and several changes / improvements were made from version 1 so definitley not a half baked engine like you suggest.
    Being a mechanical device put together by humans mistakes are possible and there could be an issue with that specific vehicle or it simply has not run in yet and may stop.
    Being a turbo charged vehicle it could even be a turbo leaking some oil.
    Either way do as suggested - log an official card/ complaint now already so that if something is found to be wrong later at least it won't be for your pocket.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2018/04/04 at 06:52 AM.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    there is not a single thing in common with the car you had and an amarok. Neither the engine nor the gearbox shares a single part.
    The fsi's are known for oil usage and piston breakages.
    The v6 has been around for a very long time in terms of car history in version 1 from 2004 and over 1.6 million of those were made. I have owned quite a number of them in various vehicles and versions of them and not a single one used oil. Most of them on pretty high milages(over 200k km).
    They are now on version 2 and several changes / improvements were made from version 1 so definitley not a half baked engine like you suggest.
    Being a mechanical device put together by humans mistakes are possible and there could be an issue with that specific vehicle or it simply has not run in yet and may stop.
    Being a turbo charged vehicle it could even be a turbo leaking some oil.
    Either way do as suggested - log an official card/ complaint now already so that if something is found to be wrong later at least it won't be for your pocket.
    Well said Stephan

Ryno Black
    Amarok V6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast