Help needed in Nairobi

Default Help needed in Nairobi

Good day fellow overlanders,
    My brother and I are doing an overland trip from Cape Town to Wadi Halfa and back from July to September 2018.
    We have decided to donate exercise books and pens to 7 primary schools in rural and poor communities en route. The books are to bulky (3500) to transport all the way from Cape Town. We want to bring a 1000 books from Cape Town and have to collect the rest on the way to Wadi Halfa and back.
    Nairobi came up as the best city to use as a collection center. We need 1500 books on the up trip and another 1000 on the down trip.
    We need the help of fellow overlanders in Nairobi to buy the books for us and store it. The funding will be done privately by my brother and me at this stage.
    We are sure that the 4 x 4 community will assist us in our endeavour to put a smile on a learner's face.
    You can pm me or send an email to [email protected] directly.
    You can also read more about us on https://bestersafrican.wordpress.com/

Thank you
    Bennie and Riaan

Default Re: Help needed in Nairobi

Bennie

I’m afraid I won’t be able to help you as I won’t be in Kenya at that time. However, why don’t you order online from the Text Book Centre https://textbookcentre.com/catalogue...SAAEgJfbfD_BwE

and get them to deliver to Jungle Junction in Langata?

Alternatively, there are a few of your countrymen living in Kenya on this forum. The ones that I know of are incrediblebob and Barend D. Perhaps they might be able to help you if you PM them?

From your route plan, I don’t see when you will be in Nairobi on your way north to collect the books. Also, I see that on your southwards trip, you have a plan to make it from Timau to Arusha. I think this too ambitious. I am also not sure that Kentrout at Timau is still functioning, but I could be wrong. Better to continue on to Nanyuki and stay there.

Safari njema!

Thank you Morag,
    I managed to find a place in Nairobi where I can buy the exercise books and their price is very reasonable (cheaper than RSA). I just have to sort out the storage and pick up.
    Thanks for the info on Timau. Do you now of a place to stay at Nanyuki?
    I know it is a long stretch, but we just have to leave early in the morning. In 2015 we travelled from Nakuru to Arusha, which is 30 km shorter. On our way we lost 2 hours in Nairobi looking for spares for my bakkie and had to do an extra 60 km, because I left some of my documents at the border. Hopefully that would not happen again.
    Happy travelling.
    Bennie

Quote Originally Posted by Bennie Bester View Post
    Thanks for the info on Timau. Do you now of a place to stay at Nanyuki?
    You could try Nanyuki River Camel Camp which is a few kilometres outside Nanyuki to the west. I have never been there, but read about it and they do offer camping.

More up-market, there are lots of places starting with the very luxurious Mount Kenya Safari Club, or the lovely Le Rustique. The Sportsman’s Arms has been in Nanyuki for many years; the new owners have knocked down all the charming old rondavels and built a modern African hotel, but it will be fine for a night (even if it can be a bit of a meeting place for the British Army soldiers from the nearby camp and the “ladies of the night”).

Otherwise, further south is the lovely Naro Moru River Lodge which appears to offer camping. http://naromoruriverlodge.com/index.php/camping/

And further south again is Savage Wilderness at Sagana. You could do this from Marsabit to Sagana in a long day with leaving Marsabit at first light. Savage Wilderness is a white-water rafting place on the Sagana River which offers camping on the lawn. We camped there earlier this year (see our trip report Kenya: on the roads less travelled). This is then nearer Nairobi and gets you closer to Arusha. But see below...

Regarding the time difference between driving from Nakuru to Arusha and driving from Nanyuki to Arusha: it all depends on the traffic from Thika to Nairobi and through Nairobi. Unless you know the “rat runs” and ways to avoid central Nairobi, the section from Thika to Athi River could take you a very long time.

Good morning Morag,
    Thank you for all the useful info. We have amended our schedule and shall sleep over at Savage River camp.
    Regarding assistance: It looks as if my problems are all sorted with Kartasi Industries. Does anybody know them and are they reputable?
    Greetins
    Bennie

Quote Originally Posted by Bennie Bester View Post
    Good morning Morag,
    Thank you for all the useful info. We have amended our schedule and shall sleep over at Savage River camp.
    Regarding assistance: It looks as if my problems are all sorted with Kartasi Industries. Does anybody know them and are they reputable?
    Greetins
    Bennie
    Kartasi is a reputable company. They are the leading brand of exercise books etc in Kenya. Even I used their exercise books when I was at school! It is Kenyan Asian owned. If you have any problems, let me know. However, you really, really don’t want to go down to their offices and factory in the Industrial Area because of very heavy traffic.

It seems a shame to race through the beautiful northern Kenya, but obviously your time is tight. It might be even tighter once you have waited around in Aswan!

Best salaams.

Do you still need an interim storage solution?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atakanmerdin For This Useful Post:

Good day Atakanmerdin,
    PM send
    Greetinsgs
    Bennie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennie Bester For This Useful Post:

Good day Ataramerdin.
    Is your offer for temporary storage still available. I will be in Nairobi 15/16 July.