Mainstream Oils vs Branded Oils - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Mainstream Oils vs Branded Oils

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    Any comment on Shell Rimula 4X - I think it is the spec - A few indies recommended this for my 2009 4.2 LC 79 with about 115k kms now, used for overlanding only but fairly heavy. Change oil at between 5 and 7,5 k km intervals depending on trips and type of travel. Have been using since the vehicle was out of TOY warranty.

Thanx in advance
    Also the research that we did was that fleet owners also used the oil, then available at Rimula R3x

Anton Wessels did check the top of the engine with me after i lost the oil filler cap on a trip 2 years ago and he mentioned how clean the oil was then, after 3-4 thou kms.

Just more info. Lots of great comments on the blog, hence this query. Thanx

Also the research that we did was that fleet owners also used the oil, then available at Rimula R3x

Anton Wessels did check the top of the engine with me after i lost the oil filler cap on a trip 2 years ago and he mentioned how clean the oil was then, after 3-4 thou kms.

Still interested in comments from the informed members who posted on this thread. Thanx

Just enforces how we can be mislead. I would be very worried if an engine oil was still clean after 3 to 4 K km. It should be dirty / discolored if it is doing its job. Also remember that the specifications are minimum specs. It is a question of how much better than the minimum spec? Remember that the additive package is very expensive. For that reason I would not use a product blended and packaged by one for another company.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Just enforces how we can be mislead. I would be very worried if an engine oil was still clean after 3 to 4 K km. It should be dirty / discolored if it is doing its job. Also remember that the specifications are minimum specs. It is a question of how much better than the minimum spec? Remember that the additive package is very expensive. For that reason I would not use a product blended and packaged by one for another company.
    Meant to say no long term sludge found rather than oil clean. Also no built up deposits. Oil was dark as normal.

Have you guys taken a serious look at Uniglide?

It is def not a "snake oil".

The testimonials are just to many.

https://www.facebook.com/uniglide/
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Oil analysis will never be able to prove a low spec oil and the analysis co will never commit to any such comment (and understandably so). They will indicate to a user that there appears to be a problem and that has real value from which I have repeatedly benefited.
    The oil spec and available products can in some ways be compared to our present standards in the education system. Would I employ anyone besides an exceptional student with distinctions? Definitely not because chances are the "best student" will most likely just be be average! IOW do not buy cheap and buy only a reputable brand.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

anyway still hoping to get more in depth report back on Shell Rimula 4X from, those in the know.

Once after a TOY service on my 79 4.2, the last TOY one, i drove home and checked oil next day for imterest, to find it black and queried with the garage manager who said that the diiesel contaminates the oil immediately - after 14 kms of driving? the other end of the argument. I suspected that they had replaced the filter and drained some oil only.

Went on to Rimula after some indie advice and post the 100k km guarantee period on the cruiser. Web searches at the time suggested that the Rimula was a heavy duty oil used by fleet owners on old tech diesels with good result but don't remember all the detail then, some years back.

This thread was interesting as some seemed to have experience in the trade and more knowledge than the usual marketing stuff, which is often hardly believable in full.

We had opened up the top cover as the plastic catch thing was not there and i suspected that TOY had broken it off in the past and it may be still in the top of the engine. Was not there but i asked Anton to still check and look for sludge and any possible debris as the oil cap was lost - by me - and i had driven about 300 kms without realising. The plastic thingy was not found and still a mystery to me.
    Last edited by ed rouillard; 2019/11/13 at 07:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2