Lithium 444 first impressions? - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: Lithium 444 first impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    My unit is 13 months old.
    The inverter stopped working for no apparent reason.
    I contacted flexopower and the response is that the inverter part of the 444 cannot be repaired. Thus I have a pretty expensive doorstop now.
    yikes!
    Ezzac

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    My unit is 13 months old.
    The inverter stopped working for no apparent reason.
    I contacted flexopower and the response is that the inverter part of the 444 cannot be repaired. Thus I have a pretty expensive doorstop now.
    That's lazy, it certainly must be repairable but they just can't be bothered. That's a good warning to avoid that brand at all costs.

Iíve been reading a lot about this unit and also know of someone who bought one and struggled a lot with a 12V fridge that wouldnít stay cold on it for any length of time.

I am not convinced itís a decent enough unit thatís worth buying, but what do I know
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Cool Re: Lithium 444 first impressions?

If it is a LiPo battery as they state, it can be discharged to roughly 20% of charge.
    So its 444w capacity is about 37 ah on a 12v batt.
    the full battery is then about 41ah.
    No Idea why anyone would expect this to handle more than a few led strips at best. Any real load will kill it.
    Last edited by Flipside; 2020/01/15 at 09:33 PM.
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

Well Flip, itís marketed as something that replaces a deep cycle battery so itís understandable that clients expect it to perform the same under normal off-roading / camping conditions which includes fridges and lights and what what
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Used it this past holiday in the Tankwa, charges great on solar, ran the CFX waeco fridge perfectly throught the night and into the next day. Used a12 ah buffer battery with small solar battery, whilst charging the unit on solar. It doesn't like charging off the car when you are starting and stopping alot.
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipside View Post
    If it is a LiPo battery as they state, it can be discharged to roughly 20% of charge.
    So its 444w capacity is about 37 ah on a 12v batt.
    the full battery is then about 41ah.
    No Idea why anyone would expect this to handle more than a few led strips at best. Any real load will kill it.
    Forget the theory in practice it runs my 40l Engel fridge set on freeze in 38deg C day time temperatures for 18 hours without a recharge. The only problem I have is the charging in the car no problem off solar and mains. I'm considering adding a DC to DC charger to the car to see if this will improve matters.

have a look at http://pitt-industries.com

Atom
    Contact me for info. I had some input on the Atom, I have one on test.

6kg, 450w, li-ion

Robbie 083 three00 three040
    Last edited by Robbief; 2020/01/16 at 01:44 PM.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

For the guys charger in the car, how is it connected? Dedicated cables from the battery or through through the manufacturer plug point?

If the latter, then I'm sure that's your issue. I would be surprised if the cables are even 4mm thick to that. You wont be able to pull much more than 5 amps, which will only then run the fridge, leaving nothing left to charge the unit.

Try charging direct from the battery with dedicated 10mm cables, use the solar input cable.

EDIT: I see the unit can only charge of the cigarette lighter at 6amps. So if you are trying to run the fridge and charge it, will never happen. Fridge will cycle on and off at 5 amps.

What does the manual say about the max amps from solar?
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    For the guys charger in the car, how is it connected? Dedicated cables from the battery or through through the manufacturer plug point?

If the latter, then I'm sure that's your issue. I would be surprised if the cables are even 4mm thick to that. You wont be able to pull much more than 5 amps, which will only then run the fridge, leaving nothing left to charge the unit.

Try charging direct from the battery with dedicated 10mm cables, use the solar input cable.

EDIT: I see the unit can only charge of the cigarette lighter at 6amps. So if you are trying to run the fridge and charge it, will never happen. Fridge will cycle on and off at 5 amps.

What does the manual say about the max amps from solar?
    In my Fortuner the cigarette lighter is marked at 120w max, I measure between 13.2 to 13.8v on them so in theory I have enough current. I have two cigarette lighter outputs so I charge the battery on a separate circuit to the fridge with mixed results on the battery. It would seem that the stop start nature of overlanding plays havoc with the charging process while I get better results if the drive is continuous.

The limits on solar is given as 120w only , my gut feel is that the problem is less related to current but rather voltage I'm no expert so I'll gladly take advice here.
    Last edited by River Rat; 2020/01/16 at 03:02 PM.

Another possible problem. My old fashioned solenoid dual battery system with a lead acid - cranking and deepcell battery, allows for the two batteries to be connected to start the car if the cranking battery bcomes too weak. Plus same feature (with engine also running) to power the winch.

Is it possible to have the lithium 444 connected to the lead acid cranking battery instead and have the two batteries working tohether for these purposes. My guess is probably not. If not then these 2 features will be lost. Input from others?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6