Thoughts on the Secrets of Knysna Forest 4x4 route

Default Thoughts on the Secrets of Knysna Forest 4x4 route

Hi Everyone,

We will be in and around Knysna over the Easter holidays and would like to do a 4x4 route (or something similar) during this time.

I read a article about the "Secrets of the Knysna Forest" 4x4 route a while back... It was recently opened to public and looks like a nice day out. It looks quite mild; they basically state you only need a vehicle with high ground clearance, but I believe it would be quite an experience driving in the forest and just enjoying the clean air, sights etc. At R400pp with a guide I dont think its badly priced either.

What I want to know: Has someone done this route before? Would you recommend it? 4x4 experience needed?

Link to the site: https://www.bhejane.com/bhejane/view...knysna-forest/

The other option is some dune riding in Vleesbaai

Default Re: Thoughts on the Secrets of Knysna Forest 4x4 route

If you will enjoy the drive thru the forests, then the Old Voortrekker pass Oxwagon trail starting from Louvain will also interest you.

http://www.louvain.co.za/activities.php

We did it this Saturday, mildly difficult, stunning scenery.

Nearer to you is Paradise 4x4 dune driving near Kleinkrantz, Wilderness.

Let us South Capies know and we might join you there.
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Conrady View Post
    Hi Everyone,

We will be in and around Knysna over the Easter holidays and would like to do a 4x4 route (or something similar) during this time.

I read a article about the "Secrets of the Knysna Forest" 4x4 route a while back... It was recently opened to public and looks like a nice day out. It looks quite mild; they basically state you only need a vehicle with high ground clearance, but I believe it would be quite an experience driving in the forest and just enjoying the clean air, sights etc. At R400pp with a guide I dont think its badly priced either.

What I want to know: Has someone done this route before? Would you recommend it? 4x4 experience needed?

I did this a year ago.

It is not a 4X4 route - the focus is on having a guide with decent knowledge of the forest, the history and sharing it with you whilst taking you to all the interesting places.

I have driven on the same roads many times before, however, it was a pleasant experience for us doing this tour and to get additional knowledge and information on the forest and its history.

I will recommend this - then on another day, do a 4X4 route, like Louvain or Paradise.
    Hermanator

Herman Smit

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermanator For This Useful Post:

I havent done this trail, but a few things worry me.

It seems only an morning outing, ending at lunch. Considering the speed you can do, it seems like a very short trail for the money they are charging.

One of the best parts of going into the forest, is all the places you can stop and take a walk around. In the timeframe you have with the guide, I do not see you stopping anywhere.

Rather consider driving around the R339. We stayed at Diepwalle, but it isnt far out of Knysna.
    Everyday for a week we went out to a different area on the R339. Be it forest walks, going seeing the oldest/biggest tree or picknick at Spietkop se Uitkyk. You can go all the way to Uniondale and stop at places like www.angiesgspot.co.za . There are also many mountain biking paths that could prob keep you busy for weeks.

It is really nice out there in the forest. I would however rather invest that R1000 in fuel for the week and do the free drive areas, taking it easy and stopping everywhere.

There is some awesome vistas, so make sure you have enough memory cards for the camera!

I preferred entering the R339 from Knysna via Simola Hill, than via the squatter camp and the forestry road. It brings you onto the R339 close to Diepwalle.

Knysna side of the R339, especially the forestry road section is severely potholed, so, I was running the muds on the Isuzu at 1 bar to protect the kidneys.

The R339 kept us busy, but I'm sure there are many more public roads in the forest.
    Hopefully I can get to spend some time there soon again .
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogueFrontier For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    If you will enjoy the drive thru the forests, then the Old Voortrekker pass Oxwagon trail starting from Louvain will also interest you.

http://www.louvain.co.za/activities.php

We did it this Saturday, mildly difficult, stunning scenery.

Nearer to you is Paradise 4x4 dune driving near Kleinkrantz, Wilderness.

Let us South Capies know and we might join you there.
    Hi Prof, did you do the Forest drive or the Oxwagon trail?
    If Forest drive, level of difficulty?
    Current - Ranger WildTrak
    Current - KTM 300 XCW
    Ex - Jeep Commander (Biggest POS ever owned)
    Ex - Mitsubishi Triton
    Ex - Gen 4 Paj SWB Tractor - Death by Taxi
    Ex - JK Wrangler Rubicon - Sold
    Ex - Colt Rodeo
    Ex - Audi S3

Quote Originally Posted by matty2.8tdi View Post
    Hi Prof, did you do the Forest drive or the Oxwagon trail?
    If Forest drive, level of difficulty?
    The Forest drive is closed at the moment. Had some flooding some time ago.

They are planning to open it again and establish some more routes.

But that is on the long term planning
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    The Forest drive is closed at the moment. Had some flooding some time ago.

They are planning to open it again and establish some more routes.

But that is on the long term planning
    Great thanks, we'll give the Oxwagon route a go when there.
    Current - Ranger WildTrak
    Current - KTM 300 XCW
    Ex - Jeep Commander (Biggest POS ever owned)
    Ex - Mitsubishi Triton
    Ex - Gen 4 Paj SWB Tractor - Death by Taxi
    Ex - JK Wrangler Rubicon - Sold
    Ex - Colt Rodeo
    Ex - Audi S3

Default Thoughts on the Secrets of Knysna Forest 4x4 route

We did the forest drive in mid January 2018, had an amazing time. Yes a tad expensive, but Iíd do it again for sure. The best part wasnít the drive or scenery as such, but the wealth of information shared by the guide. I do know they have a couple of guides, so that might have a different impact on you if you have another guide on that morning.

We stopped a couple of times and the guide showed us a lot of things inside the forest, not going to spoil the secret here though

We didnít find that the time spent in the forest was too short or too long, but then again I could keep on driving those roads for weeks and never get bored.

All in all good value for money.

No real 4x4 experience needed. Donít drive bumper to bumper to each other is about the only 4x4/driving tip I can give.

We camped on the forest decks at the diepwalle forest station, I would strongly recommend that. Only a 20-30min drive from diepwalle to the start of the forest drive, and then you end up back at the camping spot at the end of your trail, very convenient.

Give them a call or pop them an email regarding the current stare of the track, theyíll know best.

Please report back if you do go do it, would like to hear how you rate the experience!
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2018/03/19 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks for the reply guys. My idea was just to have a nice relaxed, informative trip and enjoy the scenery...4x4'ing would be a bonus, but I'll leave the oxewagan trip for next time (so much to do, so little time )

I'm booking it now and will get back to the forum with a short review when I'm back Mid-April.

Hi Everyone,

Hi conrady

I did the bhejane tour with them when the wife and i went on honeymoon in 2009 was recommended to us by the resort we where staying at, all i have to say is money well spent even if i had my own high clearance vehicle it would not have been the same as when we rode with the guide.,like someone else mentioned here before that they stop and you get out and they explain alot of things(information overload) and you get to ask questions then afterwards they stop for lunch then on the way back they drive back on a gravel road and boom over.

I told my bil about it and he also went on it a year later and enjoyed it alot, they just came back from a holiday in mosselbay and we where talking about that drive and was saying that we must take our boys when they are old enough to experience it (my boy will be born anytime soon 38 weeks this friday exciting times).

But definitely go do it and you get to relax no need to worry about driving and looking,but if you prefer to do the opposite by all means ( i think they said something about giving a 2 way radio to communicate between all the vehicles)

Cheerz rickyc

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    I havent done this trail, but a few things worry me.

It seems only an morning outing, ending at lunch. Considering the speed you can do, it seems like a very short trail for the money they are charging.

One of the best parts of going into the forest, is all the places you can stop and take a walk around. In the timeframe you have with the guide, I do not see you stopping anywhere.

Rather consider driving around the R339. We stayed at Diepwalle, but it isnt far out of Knysna.
    Everyday for a week we went out to a different area on the R339. Be it forest walks, going seeing the oldest/biggest tree or picknick at Spietkop se Uitkyk. You can go all the way to Uniondale and stop at places like www.angiesgspot.co.za . There are also many mountain biking paths that could prob keep you busy for weeks.

It is really nice out there in the forest. I would however rather invest that R1000 in fuel for the week and do the free drive areas, taking it easy and stopping everywhere.

There is some awesome vistas, so make sure you have enough memory cards for the camera!

I preferred entering the R339 from Knysna via Simola Hill, than via the squatter camp and the forestry road. It brings you onto the R339 close to Diepwalle.

Knysna side of the R339, especially the forestry road section is severely potholed, so, I was running the muds on the Isuzu at 1 bar to protect the kidneys.

The R339 kept us busy, but I'm sure there are many more public roads in the forest.
    Hopefully I can get to spend some time there soon again .
    Best advice this

D4 SDV6 HSE
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Oreo For This Useful Post:

Hi Conrady
    Take a look here .... www.4x4ineden.co.za If you want some advice on things to do in the area give me a ring on O82 923 OI43

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za