N2 Protest roads closed at Somerset West today

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default N2 Protest roads closed at Somerset West today

Caused a lot of people a lot of inconvenience and time loss and petrol wasted.

What is the story??
    2009 Triton V6 3500 DC
    2007 Disco 3 V8 SE
    1999 Pajero V6 3500 Sold

Default Re: N2 Protest roads closed at Somerset West today

I also closed the N2 today, but it was on the Northcoast
    What a life!

Protests at Gordon High School.....District Mail
    Traffic rerouted thru Broadway.
    Edit....Maybe to do with learner that got hit by car yesterday
    Last edited by Prof; 2018/03/16 at 08:28 PM.
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

This is getting interesting.
    Three weeks ago Jeffreys Bay had burning tyres on the road to Paradise Beach. the Two weeks ago Humansdorp to Cape St Francis blocked. Now a week later Somerset West N2 blocked.
    This looks co ordinated.
    Anyone else been following this crowd of trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    Three weeks ago Jeffreys Bay had burning tyres on the road to Paradise Beach. the Two weeks ago Humansdorp to Cape St Francis blocked. Now a week later Somerset West N2 blocked.
    This looks co ordinated.
    Coordinated based on what? 700km odd apart, N2 vs small interior road, the only common factor is protest.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Apparently they have been promised a footbridge over the N2 at the school.
    A learner at the school had been killed this week crossing the N2

Caused major havoc on the roads in Somerset West & Strand
    Last edited by Landhauer; 2018/03/16 at 09:51 PM.
    Leon Volschenk
    Discovery 3 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    This looks co ordinated.
    Somerset West, is in the Western Cape, Somerset East is in the Eastern Cape

Small bulldozers on high speed trucks ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Aaaaaahhhh, so that is what is was.

We were coming in from Stellenbosch and saw that the N2 was standing STILL.

Carried on over the bridge past the Mall, then a few hundred meters further that road got STUCK .... turned off into a small side street and followed the locals. When we got back onto the N2 it was EMPTY !

What a NICE drive over Sir Louwries on a Friday afternoon

the people that got stuck in that traffic must have lost a LOT of time !

[QUOTE=ChrisF;3847743]Aaaaaahhhh, so that is what is was.

What gets to me what has footbridges, service delivery, etc.. to do with the general public.

You voted for useless town management and government officials and you blame their incompetence on the general public by getting them to hate the workers in general.

No wonder the country is in a mess.
    2009 Triton V6 3500 DC
    2007 Disco 3 V8 SE
    1999 Pajero V6 3500 Sold

If I am not mistaken, this was the second death? The first led to the strict enforcing of the 70 km limit at the end of what is still the N2, before the first robots. Got caught there myself some twelve years ago. So, this may have been a long-standing issue.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Some perspective on the protests on the N2 at Somerset West, Western Cape:

I will never condone violent protest.

I've been living in Somerset West for 34 years now, and in all those years the "battle" of the N2/T2 has been ongoing, with sadly seemingly no quick solution.

The background is that in the early 70's the beautiful N2 highway was built from outside the CT airport to Somerset West (where the Somerset Mall is now), and it just stopped there. A 'connection' was made to connect the highway with the then 'old' N2 at the Cape Town side just outside Somerset West. It stopped just short of the Helderzicht residential community, which was then a Coloured residentail area.

The precursor to SANRAL expropriated some land to eventually extend the N2 highway to link up with the N2 at the bottom of Sir Lowry's Pass.

Now, as in all matters, stuff happened along the way (or as in the case: on the proposed way) and a residential development was slapbang in the proposed roadway. The residents have over the years refused to have their community uprooted (again), and this is the proverbial telephone pole in a bicycle wheel.

There has been numerous commissions, and what nots, but as fas I can determine, NO political will to get the very emotional matter of the Helderzicht communiy adressed and this is the root of the problem.

What has happened in the mean time as that schools have been built adjacent to the proposed roadway, with the T2/N2 running slapbang through the residental area to the north east of Helderzicht. Kids from this section needs to cross that deathtrap of a road at risk to life and limb everyday to get to and from schools, and the shamefully faceless and nameless 'authorities' involved in this matter, sit at tables debating, meeting and each trying to push their own agendas while the communities on both sides of the road are left to fend for themselves.

In the mean time the owners of properties on the proposed N2 road reserve, still do not know if, when and how they will be affected should a decision re the extension on the N2 be made.

I for one will also take matters in my own hands in peaceful protest in my community if my pleas for the safety of my children and that of my community is ignored, and all avenues of trying to settle the issues has been exhausted.

Wouldn't you also?

And yes, I was also inconvenieced on Friday to get to my home on the eastern side of Somerset West while coming back from Cape Town.
    Last edited by dewets; 2018/03/22 at 12:39 PM.
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009

Ek het nou klaar gewerk, maar ek weet nie of die bank daarvan gaan hou nie...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dewets For This Useful Post:

Interesting input.

And yet, hardly 1km further an under-road tunnel provide a safe route for kids to and from that school .....

Quote Originally Posted by dewets View Post
    I remember this. Stayed in the area till 1985. There is still a swath of open land thru Strand that would have split it in two.

Some more insight...those residents got moved and then to be moved again...

https://mg.co.za/article/2011-09-23-...st-not-cricket

But what solution? Elevated freeways....Tunnel underneath...?

Elevated freeway will only work over existing road...

....also think of the Knysna issue, when they wanted to build bypass, the town cried foul! Oh if it just had been built then...like in SWest
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Interesting input.

And yet, hardly 1km further an under-road tunnel provide a safe route for kids to and from that school .....
    Sorry Chris, that subway is for the HHH-school. The protests were on the Cape Town side, opposite the Danie Ackermann Primary School & Gordon High School. Both schools that were built during the Tri-Camera system of parliament, and the one 'house' decided to build the schools, despite all the warnings and objections to it from the then Somerset West municipality.

A conundrum of note was created in the process, with the 'clever people' of the day now all dead and gone, leaving the current 'powders-that-be-not' to try and sort out teh mess created...

My Ouma het altyd 'n sÍding gehad: "Dis die wyse hennnetjie wat die eiers in die braambos gelÍ het."

En hier het ons presies met die eiers in die braambos te doen. Maar die eiers het nou vrot geword...
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009

Quote Originally Posted by dewets View Post
    Sorry Chris, that subway is for the HHH-school. The protests were on the Cape Town side, opposite the Danie Ackermann Primary School & Gordon High School. Both schools that were built during the Tri-Camera system of parliament, and the one 'house' decided to build the schools, despite all the warnings and objections to it from the then Somerset West municipality.

A conundrum of note was created in the process, with the 'clever people' of the day now all dead and gone, leaving the current 'powders-that-be-not' to try and sort out teh mess created...

My Ouma het altyd 'n sÍding gehad: "Dis die wyse hennnetjie wat die eiers in die braambos gelÍ het."

En hier het ons presies met die eiers in die braambos te doen. Maar die eiers het nou vrot geword...
    Jip.

But if it was your kid that got killed trying to cross the road at the "other school" .....

It was done for one school, it CAN be done for the rest .... or a footbridge (which has many other issues) ..... or a school guard to help kids across after school and after sports (would have thought this was in place already). Let's not forget all the new schools further up the same stretch of road ....

all politics aside .... KIDS should be safe, and should be provided with a safe environment. If they choose to step outside this, so be it. But there should be a safe environment for them.

A society that fails its kids and its elderly has lost the plot ...

I agree wholeheartedly with you ChrisF.

There was numerous efforts to get the kids safely across the road, but after a few weeks/months the "guards people" was nowhere to be seen, leaving those kids on their own.

Apparently a footbridge is now a certainty, but when is the question. Sad that quite a few had pay the ultimate sacrifice to only have officialdom shrugging shoulders and shifting the blame...

In all these protests, what are the underlying cause? (locally and internationally) I'm of the opinion that it has to do with unmet expectations from the powers that be.

As you say: A society that (once again) fails it kids and it its elderly...
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009

To stir the pot ....

For years new developments were subject to "admin fees" which were supposed to be used to uplift the infrastructure of the area.

In Brackenfell the Ward has taken the Council to task about this, showing the vast amounts of moneys that were paid over, yet to date only one new access road have been provided.

Wonder if the same applies to Helderberg ?

Wonder if a legal firm could make a case for "negligence" if this money was "available", but no action was taken

Does it have to come to this before the officialdom does what it is supposed to do

Well maybe it is time that politician and municipal officials give written undertakings of their intended "management plans" before elections and if it does not happen once they are elected jail them and reclaim their salaries and bonuses from them for non performance.
    2009 Triton V6 3500 DC
    2007 Disco 3 V8 SE
    1999 Pajero V6 3500 Sold

I was led to understand that the final completion of the N2 freeway through Somerset West has been delayed / prevented because of the insistence of SANRAL that it MUST be part of a TOLL ROAD system similar to how they did it in Gauteng. (With all the associated opportunities for milking money for pals and family?) When it became clear that the Western Cape government and the local Capetonians were violently opposed to toll roads, the National Department of Transport and SANRAL basically just stalled the planned Freeway. Currently it is at a standstil. It is an N road and therefore the local municipality and the provincial government has no say in it.

Am I right, or is this just another urban legend?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast