The Merc X-Class - Page 17

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Default Re: The Merc X-Class

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Many people will buy it because they think it is a Merc, not because it is value for money.
    Fixed it.😀
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    Go do it and write us a review!

eks ook maar dom met die goed Jan.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

I second that idea.!.....we need the truth.😎
    Please go and test drive both!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I said this a looong time ago. NISSAN is actually the winner here, for precisely what you say.

If MERC chose a NISSAN platform, it must be good. Why pay so much more for the badge.

HOWEVER, I have no doubt that MERC have a winner here, relatively speaking. They produce bread and butter cars, A/B/C Class and niche products. X-Class is not bread and butter.

Fluffy, Merc chose the Nissan platform because they have existing alliances with Nissan/Renault - NOT because it's the best available. In my opinion, Merc would've been better suited with the VW platform because I'm pretty sure the X-class was meant to be a lifestyle vehicle rather than a workhorse from the beginning. But, that was never going to happen because the two companies are direct competitors. So Merc did the best they could with what they had at their disposal.

No offence to any real Nissan fans, but the Navara has never really been the best bakkie in the class, it was close around 2005/6. But at the moment, I'm pretty sure most people would agree that the best leisure platform on the market is the Amarok. For a workhorse I reckon the Hilux is probably better.

So Merc chose a platform, that wasn't the best at anything, and that - based on reports from Australia - Nissan also couldn't get quite right in terms of load and compliance, and then thought they could fix all that by fitting a bling interior.

As a leisure vehicle with a bin, the V6 Amarok is superior in almost every way. Oh, except for the Merc guarantee which is nice.
    Last edited by JohanRoux; 2018/05/11 at 06:53 PM.

Double post.
    Last edited by ryanbe; 2018/05/12 at 01:39 PM.

I went to go look at it, and below my initial comments. One would, however, have to spend time with the vehicle for a more accurate opinion.

1) x220 is exactly like a Toyota or Isuzu inside in terms of quality and comfort. I really don't think there is anything premium about the x220. Not sure what the price difference is, but i would go Toyo or Isuzu before a X220.
    2) x250 feels like a nicer place to be inside than an x220, but I still have to give it to the Amarok v6 in this department. Ive had couple Amaroks and done many miles and trips in them, including a V6, and they are more spacious and lux than the x250.
    3) The vehicle feels and looks very low, they definitely not aiming it at the hardcore 4x4 crowd.
    4) Feels much smaller inside than an Amarok, and not as wide inside for sure.
    5) It just does not feel like a Merc to me and like they have just added some Merc goodies, but underneath it feels different, and not in line with their other vehicles. A bit odd to be honest. Could explain the unergonomic interior. Trying to turn something that is not a Merc into a Merc. You can see woman who have had plastic surgery - this feels the same. I say this as I am a Merc fan and have owned a couple.

In short, the x250 is slightly better than the Japs in terms of quality and comfort, but only due to lots of makeup and plastic surgery. It is from what I could see in static form, not better than an Amarok V6 in terms of either. Driving dynamics might however feel different.

Ill wait for the x350 and x250 owner reviews with lots of kms behind them before I make my mind up, but so far i agree, not worth the extra money.

edit: it’s not a bad attempt for a first bakkie, actually damn good. To launch something that comes very close to the Amarok is not bad at all. Future versions might indeed be very very special. The first 2.0 Amarok was frowned upon and most people on this forum criticised it when it got launched, yet later models like the V6 have become much wanted. The X might also adapt and get better and better.
    Last edited by ryanbe; 2018/05/12 at 05:36 PM.

Ek kan net nie dink dat iemand dit kan kies bo n navara nie, die navara lyk oongelooflik mooi, het n lang waarborg en is baie goedkoper! Sal iemand rerig R300 000 meer betaal vir n badge?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to superhansie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by superhansie View Post
    Ek kan net nie dink dat iemand dit kan kies bo n navara nie, die navara lyk oongelooflik mooi, het n lang waarborg en is baie goedkoper! Sal iemand rerig R300 000 meer betaal vir n badge?
    When you drop your boy off at Hilton or MichaelHouse, I promise you, to be seen in a X-Class rather than a Navara is worth a lot more than R300K.

Even worse, if you arrive in the NISSAN, shame, he cant afford a MERC.

And a horse box behind a Merc is just so much more acceptable than a Nissan at the Polo club.

Eish, get with the program.

Hell that reminds me of the TATA story with the school boy.

------------------

For what it is worth - I don't own a MERC, I don't have any family or friends in one of the fancy schools, I hate horses, don't have a horse trailer and have never been to a polo club.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/05/12 at 04:42 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

👍🏻
    Last edited by robzero; 2018/05/20 at 08:25 PM.

Spotted a customer collection of a black unit in PE on Friday.

To me, the vehicle interior looks like a SLS inside with all that chrome.

The concept also didnít make sense initially, until the new owner arrived.... in his hi visibility jacket..

I think itís going to do rather well on the front where you want to drive a merc, and be seen in a merc, but still need to get around the roads you are building...

If there was a BMW bakkie.....
    Ha ha

The Merc dealer down the road just received their first consignment. Quickly stopped to have a look. I like the interior but not the exterior - personal opinion. What I can say the staff at merc knows how to treat a walk in customer. Great service even though i was just there to kick the tires. Cannot say this about the Nissan dealer though. Could not care less when we were there a couple of weeks ago. This is the difference in my opinion. Worth the premium? Go to both dealers and decide for yourself. If I had the money? Will still buy an Isuzu X-Rider

If the order books are full then government should increase VAT to 21% because too many South Africans have too much disposable cash.

However, fortunately Government & I both realise the order book is just one page kept centrally at MBSA.

👍🏻
    Last edited by robzero; 2018/05/20 at 08:26 PM.

Default Re: X-Class prices

Quote Originally Posted by staalwol View Post
    Everybody says double cabs are so expensive, who pays R600k for one!? etc.

We forget a Landcruiser 79 starts at R623k and v8 R734k. a Basic vehicle.

Don't get me wrong I would love a 79 Cruiser (can't afford one)...but how do they justify that price, all the techno stuff in the Merc vs old tech that's suppose to cost less to produce.
    Staalwol die verskil is `n Land Cruiser het `n soliede as voor. `n Land Cruiser is vir Afrika gebou. Die Merc is vir mense gebou wat eenkeer per jaar op `n grondpad gaan ry. Praat van grondpaaie, die 18 duim en groter wiele waarmee die Merc gaan kom is nie gebou vir `n grondpad nie. Daar is nie genoeg rubber tussen die kar en die pad om die impak lading van `n slaggat te absorbeer nie. As jy nie saam stem nie vra maar een van die manne van die Wild card tydskrif wat met sy nuwe Navara op `n grondpad gery het en toe die velling gebuig het. Ander probleem is Afrika se diesel wie se kwaliteit mens nie kan waarborg nie. Al die nuwe common-rail enjins gebruik piezoelectric injectors wat teen baie hoŽ druk werk. Net `n bietjie stof/vullis en jy gaan nÍrens heen nie. En dan kos dit jou ook weer `n nuwe X-klas se prys om te vervang. Dis nog `n verskil met die Cruiser. Sy enjin is ook meer aangepas vir Afrika. Dan die ander ding, wil jy met `n R800000 se kar in die bosse in neuk? As jou antwoord ja is, het jy meer geld as verstand! ;-) Hoeveel Mercedes ML's sien mens is Botswana?

Nee, die X-klas is vir Suid-Afrika gebou en nie vir Afrika nie.
    Defender 110 300tdi "Sousie"
    Moenie vra nie...

Ekstras:
    ARB Air-locker
    62mm vlekvrye staal "free flow" uitlaatstelsel
    Langafstand Diesel tenk
    Werk nog aan die res

Maar dan moet jy 50ppm diesel vir die cruiser ingooi diep binne donker afrika ? En om n cruiser se wielsporing reg te maak , ander suspensie bull/towbar etc dan sit jy nog n 100 000 by daai prys by ?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bartho For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reutlingenboertjie View Post
    Staalwol die verskil is `n Land Cruiser het `n soliede as voor. `n Land Cruiser is vir Afrika gebou. Die Merc is vir mense gebou wat eenkeer per jaar op `n grondpad gaan ry. Praat van grondpaaie, die 18 duim en groter wiele waarmee die Merc gaan kom is nie gebou vir `n grondpad nie. Daar is nie genoeg rubber tussen die kar en die pad om die impak lading van `n slaggat te absorbeer nie. As jy nie saam stem nie vra maar een van die manne van die Wild card tydskrif wat met sy nuwe Navara op `n grondpad gery het en toe die velling gebuig het. Ander probleem is Afrika se diesel wie se kwaliteit mens nie kan waarborg nie. Al die nuwe common-rail enjins gebruik piezoelectric injectors wat teen baie hoŽ druk werk. Net `n bietjie stof/vullis en jy gaan nÍrens heen nie. En dan kos dit jou ook weer `n nuwe X-klas se prys om te vervang. Dis nog `n verskil met die Cruiser. Sy enjin is ook meer aangepas vir Afrika. Dan die ander ding, wil jy met `n R800000 se kar in die bosse in neuk? As jou antwoord ja is, het jy meer geld as verstand! ;-) Hoeveel Mercedes ML's sien mens is Botswana?

Nee, die X-klas is vir Suid-Afrika gebou en nie vir Afrika nie.

Hehe, ek dink jy verstaan my verkeerd Reutlingenboertjie, ek stem saam met alles wat jy sÍ, ek probeer net sÍ dat almal sÍ R800 000 is baie vir 'n bakkie, maar die Cruiser is (met paar ekstras) naby aan R800 000, en dan is dit nie 'n probleem vir baie mense nie, daar is baie op die pad en baie neuk die bosse in met die Cruiser (dis waarvoor hy gebou is) maar kos ook steeds R800 000. Wat ek nooit kon verstaan die Cruiser is basiese voertuig, baie van die ontwerp is al jare daar ens. so hoekom is hy so duur, maar 'n nuwe model Merc /Amarok ens. met al die gadgets kos dieselfde.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

20. The Following User Says Thank You to staalwol For This Useful Post:

Hehe ek lag lekker vir al die ouens wat sÍ ooo die Merc het Nissan parte of ag nee net nie 'n Nissan / Renault motor nie.

Merc is al laaankal nie meer die Merc van ouds nie, met sy eie enjins ens. wat vir 500 000km hou nie. Vandag se Mercs is ook maar "disposable" soos meeste nuwe karre.

Hoeveel A klasse ens. ry met Peugeot enjins rond...

Mense koop steeds die kar, maar die bloedlyn is al lankal nie meer suiwer Merc nie, vandag is dit maar ding van spoed, gerief, gadgets, nie meer of die kar soos 'n tank gebou is en of die kar 500 000km gaan hou nie, meeste mense swaai die kar as die waarborg verby is in elk geval anders gaan die onderhoudskostes die hoogte inskiet.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

Red face Re: X-Class prices

Hehe, ek dink jy verstaan my verkeerd Reutlingenboertjie, ek stem saam met alles wat jy sÍ, ek probeer net sÍ dat almal sÍ R800 000 is baie vir 'n bakkie, maar die Cruiser is (met paar ekstras) naby aan R800 000, en dan is dit nie 'n probleem vir baie mense nie, daar is baie op die pad en baie neuk die bosse in met die Cruiser (dis waarvoor hy gebou is) maar kos ook steeds R800 000. Wat ek nooit kon verstaan die Cruiser is basiese voertuig, baie van die ontwerp is al jare daar ens. so hoekom is hy so duur, maar 'n nuwe model Merc /Amarok ens. met al die gadgets kos dieselfde.
    HieHieHie

Kom ons verbeel ons maar dat die hoŽ koste van die Cruiser is agv die soliede as voor en die dikker staal waarvan die voertuig gemaak is...
    Defender 110 300tdi "Sousie"
    Moenie vra nie...

Ekstras:
    ARB Air-locker
    62mm vlekvrye staal "free flow" uitlaatstelsel
    Langafstand Diesel tenk
    Werk nog aan die res

Quote Originally Posted by Reutlingenboertjie View Post
    HieHieHie

Kom ons verbeel ons maar dat die hoŽ koste van die Cruiser is agv die soliede as voor en die dikker staal waarvan die voertuig gemaak is...
    Hehe dis maar hoe ek ook dink, daar is baie staal en dit kos geld

Hehe dis maar hoe ek ook dink, daar is baie staal en dit kos geld
    As die boere, vir watter rede ookal, die Cruiser koop vir daai geld, hoekom moet/sal Toyota hom goedkoper maak?

Oor baie dinge kan ons lekker om 'n braaivleisvuur bespiegel of dit moreel reg is vir besighede om, in ons opinie, te veel te vra vir 'n produk of diens....... maar as ons aanhou betaal daarvoor teen daai prys, is dit ons eie skuld. Ons regverdig maklik hoekom ons sekere goed doen en daarom sal die Cruiser bakkie en die Merc bakkie en alle ander voertuie bly verkoop.

In 'n ideale wÍreld sou almal saam kon besluit daai bakkie is te duur en hom dan nie koop nie en hy sal dan glad nie verkoop todat sy prys aangepas word of hy van die mark afgehaal word.

Het julle daai vark sien verby vlieg.......

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast