Prado 4L power on hills - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Prado 4L power on hills

I agree with dirtshark.
    If im cruising im driving 110. Works great.

Diesels much more suitable for cc.
    Longest hidden uphill i know of is N4 stretch from Dr Swanepoel up to Brits toll gate. Towing a caravan on that stretch in cc with a petrol engine causes havoc ( maintaining 120kmh). This was with Pajero 3.8 petrol.

My diesels, both Prado and now LR do not even notice uphill stretch towing caravan, due to much more torque at low revs
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

So the solution is easy, throw diesel in the V6 for more torque
    Some people think Enduro Bikes is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude!I can assure them its much more serious than that

The V6 Toyota is a beaut, just unfortunate that Toyota is yet to manufacture or find a gearbox that works well wit their petrol motors. The new 6 speed included. I think it's common for all V6 motors though, having the torque range higher the motors can't wait to kick back and start revving, but I think the Toy suffers the most
    (Now) 2013 Triton 2.5 Di-D
    (Sold)2013 VW Amarok Bi-TDi 4Motion
    (Sold)2002 Colt 3.0 V6 DC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by StefanSvr View Post
    So the solution is easy, throw diesel in the V6 for more torque
    No use your revs to get to the power in any naturally aspirated Petrol engine.
    Francois

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I am sure that a 6 speed auto gearbox with sport mode would do wonders with the Prado v6.
    Latest V6 Prado's do have a 6 speed auto.

Same experience here - I rarely use the CC, only on flat roads e.g. Botswana and some in Namibia (and Freestate).
    I normally prefer driving in sport mode (default to 4th gear) but you can gear up to 5th if the road allows. In Sport 4th it keeps the speed better on uphills.
    If you look at the 4.0 engine specs you will see it produces top torque and power on higher revs while the gearbox makes for low rev cruising. So not an ideal combination.
    For overtaking and serious uphills that V6 is a gem though
    '15 Prado 4.0 VX, with some modifications

I drove a 4.0 V6 Toyota 4Runner in Canada. Same issue. Constant down changing on the slightest hill. The problem has nothing to do with cruise control or the gearbox. It's to do with low torque (and therefore power) on a naturally aspirated petrol engine. The system has o choice but to gear down to get the revs up.

Another example is a 2.4l petrol Honda CRV I own. Drives me mad with down changing.

Ditto with the torque comments. The gearbox will change to a lower gear to enable the engine to operate within its optimum torque band whenever it needs it (Uphill especially when towing). Whats more it monitors the incline and will only change back when the road levels out, regardless whether its on speed or not. I have driven many thousands of kilometers with and without cruise control (and high revving on uphill) and besides it being irritating it does not seem to do much to the fuel consumption. (Lower gear less throttle, higher gear lots of throttle). Except of course if you set it at 120 and tow 1.5t up a mountain. It will maintain 120 but the fuel consumption gauge becomes interesting reading.

On CC on 120km/h on my V6 Prado 2004 with 4 speed auto box it some time takes 2nd gear on an uphill, if you look at the gear ratio's it make sense why. 4th gear are 0.753 to 1 and 3rd gear are 1.00 to 1

This 4l motor with CC enabled in 4th gear, with caravan hooked on 100km/h are reving 1900rpm,

"average peak power and torque outputs of 202 kW at 5 600 r/min and 381 N.m at 4 400"
    As clearly can be seen the rev's are way to low and thats the reason the CC are kicking down to 3rd/2nd to get to the Rev band to get the required torque to the wheels to maintain the speed on the hills.

The 4th/5th gear are an overdrive gear for feul economy and are not the working/pulling gear.

On the flip side at 120km/h in 4th gear with CC active the revs are on 2200rpm(Nothing being pulled)....that motor will outlast the time test of age...
    Attached Images Attached Images

To the OP - I have owned 3x Fortuners (2xD4D, 1xV6) and a 4L V6 Prado. I've sold both V6's within 6 months of buying them. I just could not get used to the low torque and gearbox. The Prado was an amazing vehicle, don't get me wrong, I could not not ask for anything more... except some measure of torque.

I actually now went back to my 2013 D4D Fortuner, mainly due to often towing a BushLapa Ratel and my Fortuner comes closer to being acceptable than the Prado ever could. Also, towing at 25l/100km it not for everyone.

I have the 2012 V6. I have towed the Commander and now a Penta. Both in the region of 1.6tons. Bear in mind that 4th is the direct drive (1:1) and therefore more ideal for towing. I use “manual” and slip it into 3rd before going up hill. One of my best tow vehicles I’ve had (but there are vehicles with a lot more torque out there - read diesel). The size makes it feel very solid, even at higher speeds. One thing you also have to keep in mind as the Prado has what is called an “adaptive gearbox”. So if you drive like Miss Daisy (in my case as It’s Swambo’s daily drive) it adapts to your driving style and could become very lazy. This is normally reset at service time but there are ways to reset it yourself (google). The bottom line, once you have a better understanding of your vehicles output (how and at what rpm), you should drive accordingly. Enjoy your Prado. Kind regards Edwin

Toyota Prado 150 4.0 VX
    ------------------------------------------------
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7L Sport - 2003 Sold
    Mods.: Frankenlift Premuim II - 2.5" Lift Kit
    ARB Bullbar, Airsprings - Rear
    ------------------------------------------------
    Conqueror Commander-Sold

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeep001 For This Useful Post:

Perfectly said on how to tow with V6 Prado. Done it for 7 years and also had a D4D Hilux and the D4D don’t even come close to the V6, especially overtaking and uphills. Awesome tow vehicle if you know how to use the power at your disposal, which is higher up in the revs and always tow in 4th which makes for a much better ride when towing, and don’t use CC.....It will drive you nuts.
    Francois

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois111 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Agree!!

Whats irritating it change from 5th to 3rd and than over speed before changes down again. Thats why I watched the rev counter on an incline and as soon as the revs increased when the torque converter took over, I drop the gear to 4th then most of the time it dont go down to 3rd, if I used the speed control, which was seldom.
    Not exactly the same vehicle but this kinda fits the subject.

I'm going to sell my Hilux 2.8GD6AT in order to buy a new Prado Diesel VX-L

In my Hilux while cruising in "Auto" in 6th gear, if I select "manual" it changes directly to 4th(skipping 5th). The drivers instruction manual reads that in selecting "manual" from "auto", it could engage 5th gear or 4th gear, depending on speed. I have yet to see it go from "Auto 6th" to "Manual 5th" - always "manual 4th" which sometimes is a BIG jump in RPM.

In my soon-to-be Prado, what can I expect to happen when selecting Manual from being in "Auto 5th" - will it remain in 5th or default down to 4th or worse still, 3rd?
    2003 KZTE
    2016 2.8 GD6 AT

In my 2010 D4D 150 Prado it also went to 4th when you change to manual. In my 200 4.6 it also goes to 4th when you change to manual.

Must be a Toyota thing
    Cobus
    Land Cruiser 200 4.6
    Imagine Comfortvan

It's unfortunately completely normal behavior for an automatic petrol V6. The V6 needs to rev to deliver its best, and it is usually paired with tall overall gearing to try get better fuel consumption.
    The result is, when using cruise control it gears down on uphills to try maintain the selected speed. My 3.2 V6 Grand Vitara, my Lexus IS250, my current Jeep Wrangler, they all do it. Attempt hilly terrain with a load, and it seems to change gears every few seconds. Drives you nuts.

It does no harm to the vehicle, it's just annoying.
    Just because we differ does not make either one of us wrong.

I like most things with wheels...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanSlabbert For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2