How to tackle water crossings..

Default How to tackle water crossings..

.. in Botswana.
    We have a trip end of April and seems like the water may be quite high.
    We will be 2 vehicles, one towing a caravan.
    Since its not recommended to walk these water due to crocs etc. I was wondering if there is a safe way to cross these?
    Maybe send the single vehicle first with a rope connected to the vehicle towing the trailer. If the first vehicle gets into trouble it can be pulled back.
    It will mean quite a long tow strap/rope.

Default Re: How to tackle water crossings..

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    .. in Botswana.
    We have a trip end of April and seems like the water may be quite high.
    We will be 2 vehicles, one towing a caravan.
    Since its not recommended to walk these water due to crocs etc. I was wondering if there is a safe way to cross these?
    Maybe send the single vehicle first with a rope connected to the vehicle towing the trailer. If the first vehicle gets into trouble it can be pulled back.
    It will mean quite a long tow strap/rope
    I am not quite sure how, but I would not try and do that...

Look for other vehicle's tracks. On both entry and exit.
    Take your time, chill, and hopefully another vehicle arrives and does it first, seriously.

Thats what I did last year. I couldnt see where the vehicles were crossing - no obvious tracks. I was about to tackle the crossing where I had identified as good enough, when luckily a group of south africans came smashing through the water in another section. I sat back, studied each guy's line (they all chose different lines), and made it look easy once they were done. Even got a round of applause from them once across.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

A good rule of thumb is to look for white sand on the entry and exits (Khwai area specifically). These offer much better traction.

Also looks for tracks, as mentioned. And there are almost always alternatives, take your time to look around if in doubt.

Best is to walk, the chances of crocs at the busier crossings are much lower due the increased activity.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Look for other vehicle's tracks. On both entry and exit.
    Take your time, chill, and hopefully another vehicle arrives and does it first, seriously.

Thats what I did last year. I couldnt see where the vehicles were crossing - no obvious tracks. I was about to tackle the crossing where I had identified as good enough, when luckily a group of south africans came smashing through the water in another section. I sat back, studied each guy's line (they all chose different lines), and made it look easy once they were done. Even got a round of applause from them once across.
    This is what I do

If not safe to walk through - usually the case with crocs etc.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Drive around of you can . Even if you have to take a 50 k detour. If not , walk it and create a nice bow wave.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartho For This Useful Post:

We always try to chat to someone that has gone through the crossings that day or day before. Take a drive to the other campsites nearby and check with the fellow campers. Keep in mind that levels can change quickly. At least you have a good idea of what to expect and best possible lines for certain crossings.

The levels were high in Jun / Jul 2010 and I did horror ones 1st since I was not towing. I had the recovery strap attached to the back and would wait on the other side of the crossing for the other 2 vehicles to come through. They had their recovery straps attached to the front.

The crossing on the pic was not too bad and I went through last hence the recovery strap attached to the front. I would however not have been very comfortable to get out to link the straps in that water with the possibility of crocs. Like some mentioned, if you can, take a detour and avoid suspect water crossings. It can be a show stopper.... Do not think you are invincible if you have a snorkel...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post: