EB-License; Towing weights and fines... - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: EB-License; Towing weights and fines...

Quote Originally Posted by Louis J View Post
    It is about weight as well 3500kg an above you need a PrDP. It say Doods or Passengers or both

Not really. Only if you carry goods/passengers for compensation. So I can drive my truck if on my own name for personal use like moving etc. However, you have difficulty explaining that to a cop

https://www.gov.za/node/727518
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Not really. Only if you carry goods/passengers for compensation. So I can drive my truck if on my own name for personal use like moving etc. However, you have difficulty explaining that to a cop

https://www.gov.za/node/727518
    Jy het geantwoord hoekom dit nodig is Herman, my n boete gekos omdat ek te lui was vir hernuwing , eerder betaal as om te beduie dis nie rerig nodig vir n Nissan bussie met n klomp van my eie parte in nie

Quote Originally Posted by erduplessis View Post
    Guys,

There is so much misinformation on this thread, it is frightening. At the end of the day, it is the Road Traffic Act and its regulations that take precedence...not little pamphlets or your opinion.

1. PDP - Professional Driving Permit - Section 115 of the Act - is required for:
    (a) A goods vehicle, the gross vehicle mass of which exceeds 3 500kg
    (b) blah
    (c) blah
    (d) blah...
    (f) a motor vehicle used for the conveyance of persons for reward...

Please note, GROSS vehicle mass. It has nothing to do with GCM (Gross Combined Mass), Tare or anything else. Unfortunately, a bakkie is a goods vehicle, by my interpretation.

2. Articulated Vehicle - Section 1 Definitions - “articulated motor vehicle” means a combination of motor vehicles consisting of a trucktractorand a semi-trailer;
    This is a truck, not car towing a trailer or caravan.

3. Code B drivers license - Section 99 (4) - A motor vehicle, excluding a motor cycle...
    (i) the tare of which does not exceed 3 500kg, or
    (ii) ...a goods vehicle, the gross vehicle mass of which does not exceed 3 500 kilograms
    with or without a trailer, the gross vehicle mass of which does not exceed 750kg.
    (So in theory you could drive a car weighing more than 3.5 ton, but not a bakkie weighing more than that...this is how it is legal to drive a motorhome on a B license)

4. Code EB drivers license - similar to above, but allowed to tow a trailer with a GVM of more than 750kg.

We need to be very careful where the Act refers to Tare, GVM, or GCM. With my B or EB drivers license, I can drive a vehicle that weighs more than 3 500kg, as long as the TARE is below 3 500kg. Obviously then, all sorts of other rules kick in - I must not exceed the GVM limit of the vehicle, or the GCM limit of the vehicle, etc. Go read Part IV (section 231 to 249. There is all sorts of interesting limitations, like maximum wheel load, maximum axle load, maximum load imbalances, etc, etc.

The discussion on this thread, revolving around the mass of the trailer being towed by a vehicle is covered in Section 151, and is quite comprehensive...go read it, but in general, I think we have got it right on this thread:
    (a) need run-in brakes (overrun brakes) for above 750kg or exceed half the tare of the vehicle
    (b) need service brakes for above 3 500kg or exceed the tare of the vehicle
    Plus a whole bunch of other stuff.

Etienne
    Thanks above 3500 PrDP !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3