First off-road trailer - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: First off-road trailer

I had a Bushpig built WITH brakes, extra springs and heavy duty axel.

it weighs 340kg. empty.

over engineered it so it will NOT break.
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    Surely you can build a trailer below 750 KG and add brakes to it? AFAIK there is nothing legally preventing one from doing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
    I must say I'm also confused as to how there can be anything wrong with registering a trailer at a lower maximum weight. If you tow such a trailer and stay within that weight you're fine, but if you load it with more than the registered GVM you're liable for prosecution if the law should catch you, finish and klaar!

And who said anything about unbraked documents!? It would still be a braked trailer, but only with a maximum GVM of 750 Kg...
    That is how I always had it as well, there is nothing limiting one not to build a braked trailer with a maximum GVM of 750 KG. There are many unbraked trailers such as the Challengers, Wilderness etc, which had been converted to braked trailers but still limited to 750 KG.
    I totally agree with what you guys mean, as in over build the trailer. So it has a 1600kg braked axle and coupler but you only have a gross mass of 750 kg's.

Here's the problem though. If a trailer has been built with brakes, the manufacturer needs to issue documents as such. So your VIN sequence would read something like the following: AA9T115MB etc etc. I wont bore you with what all the other bits of code mean, but the 115 stands for 1 axle and the 15 is the beginning of the GVM in this case 1500kgs, the MB stands for manual brakes. If the trailer is an unbraked set up it should read something like AA9T175UB etc etc. So now its 1 axle and 750kg GVM and unbraked.

So although many do this, whether it is right or not is the problem. So you have the 750kg docs and VIN. A policeman that knows what they are doing will see that the manufacturers plate says 175UB but you have a braked coupler and axle on. What he does with this etc is the issue.

And then obviously what will happen in the event of an accident and insurance etc is another subject all together. If you want to be completely on the right side of the law, it would be best to get the correct license for the trailer, then one can start looking at towing vehicles as well, especially with the smaller 4x4's like Jimnys etc.

That is how I always had it as well, there is nothing limiting one not to build a braked trailer with a maximum GVM of 750 KG. There are many unbraked trailers such as the Challengers, Wilderness etc, which had been converted to braked trailers but still limited to 750 KG.
    We just finished doing this for a client on his Echo. The client is going to go through the process though of changing it all via weigh bridge, roadworthy and all that. Its a long process though.

Depends on the individual I guess. So its either take the chance of having the 750kg GVM original plates so you can tow with a B license. Or buy the braked set up with the proper docs on and risk towing it with a B license.

Quote Originally Posted by ozosborne View Post
    I totally agree with what you guys mean, as in over build the trailer. So it has a 1600kg braked axle and coupler but you only have a gross mass of 750 kg's.

Here's the problem though. If a trailer has been built with brakes, the manufacturer needs to issue documents as such. So your VIN sequence would read something like the following: AA9T115MB etc etc. I wont bore you with what all the other bits of code mean, but the 115 stands for 1 axle and the 15 is the beginning of the GVM in this case 1500kgs, the MB stands for manual brakes. If the trailer is an unbraked set up it should read something like AA9T175UB etc etc. So now its 1 axle and 750kg GVM and unbraked.

So although many do this, whether it is right or not is the problem. So you have the 750kg docs and VIN. A policeman that knows what they are doing will see that the manufacturers plate says 175UB but you have a braked coupler and axle on. What he does with this etc is the issue.

And then obviously what will happen in the event of an accident and insurance etc is another subject all together. If you want to be completely on the right side of the law, it would be best to get the correct license for the trailer, then one can start looking at towing vehicles as well, especially with the smaller 4x4's like Jimnys etc.
    I understand your explanation of the VIN nr issue for when you convert an allready purchased unbraked trailer to a braked one.
    BUT
    If I buy new and ask the manufacturer to install a brake as part of the build, then surely he can allocate the correct VIN coding to indicate that it is a brake trailer with GVM of 750kg ?
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by dafila View Post
    Hey guys,As a foreigner, I have always admired South Africans and their nice off-rod trailers at the campsites I am ready for my own now and because I only have a B license, I am looking at a 750GVM trailer such as the Echo 1, Echo 3, XT75,... I would like to get an EB license, but I cant even get my foreign B license converted to a South African one (after getting Permanent Residency) without redoing the entire license I am quite interested in the Echo 3 trailer as it does not seem to be too heavy unloaded, so I could still pack quite some stuff. I see there is a braked version, but is it allowed to tow a braked trailer with a B license (as long as its under 750kg) ? What other nice 750GVM trailers are out there?We are travelling with little children in camp cots so I think I will not take a RTT for now and just pack a big extra tent, so that should also save on weight, or are there other option to use the awning or a RTT without the actual tent?Regards,Jan
    Hi ThereI'm selling my 2007 Echo 3 if you are interested,you can PM me.Willie

Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    I understand your explanation of the VIN nr issue for when you convert an allready purchased unbraked trailer to a braked one.
    BUT
    If I buy new and ask the manufacturer to install a brake as part of the build, then surely he can allocate the correct VIN coding to indicate that it is a brake trailer with GVM of 750kg ?
    Interesting one. I will have to do some investigation. It would mean the manufacturer will have to homologate a trailer build that way, so that the GVM reads 750kg but with the MB in the VIN.

Question is, is it financially reasonable though?

have a look at Off-trax outplay trailer.

went through the same exercise a while back. i am very happy with un-braked and have never felt that i need the braked axle.

you can also look at Wildebeest kalfie if the outplay does not tick the right boxes for.

ill see if I can the link to the other thread were this was discussed with some reviews.

good luck wit hunt.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...50kg-gvm/page1
    Last edited by Stef72; 2018/03/19 at 07:31 AM. Reason: link added
    Toyota Hi-Lux 4x4 (his)
    Suzuki SX4 (hers)
    Off-trax Outplay

"an angry mind is a narrow mind"

Hey guys,

As a foreigner, I have always admired South Africans and their nice off-rod trailers at the campsites

I am ready for my own now and because I only have a B license, I am looking at a 750GVM trailer such as the Echo 1, Echo 3, XT75,... I would like to get an EB license, but I cant even get my foreign B license converted to a South African one (after getting Permanent Residency) without redoing the entire license

I am quite interested in the Echo 3 trailer as it does not seem to be too heavy unloaded, so I could still pack quite some stuff. I see there is a braked version, but is it allowed to tow a braked trailer with a B license (as long as its under 750kg) ? What other nice 750GVM trailers are out there?

We are travelling with little children in camp cots so I think I will not take a RTT for now and just pack a big extra tent, so that should also save on weight, or are there other option to use the awning or a RTT without the actual tent?

Regards,
    Jan
    The Venter Savuti range (6ft standard with tent is R36 699 to 7ft fully equipped for R59 364) have GVMs of 750kg and are towed with a B licence. Compare prices before buying.

There are many options to go for, the Off-Trax Outplay is a very good trailer and you can spec it how you want, we NEARLY bought one, we went 3 times to the factory to go look.
    We ended up with another brand (used) off road trailer as it was great value.

On the braked axle, of course you can have a GVM of 750kg with a braked axle on a trailer, I personally prefer it as in the event of an emergency at highway speed I'd rather have more brakes than less. If you look at the Caravan SA magazine they do braking tests on their tow-test vehicles and 9 out of 10 times the car stops better/faster with the caravan hooked up...

Jurgens even make a luggage trailer with a GVM of 750kgs with a braked axle, also nice if you have a tow car with a TARE of less than 1500kgs. Keep in mind that the law states the TARE of the tow vehicle must be twice the GVM of the unbraked trailer.

https://www.campworld.co.za/trailers...s/jurgenslt675
    Geoff Craig
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    (M)
    '14 VW Polo 1.2 TSI HL (SWAMBO's)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort
    4x4 Action Group membership

Last year the wife decided that tent camping is overrated and I was send out with a R70k budget to find a camping trailer with all the bells and whistles . After looking at LOTS of trailers from all manufacturers and even a few backyard builds , I started to focus on getting a Echo 3 that has already been pimped out . Why did the Echo draw my attention ?? Well I saw one at Sondela and asked owner if I can have a look at how he had changed his to accommodate fridge and utilize all that packing space . No ammo boxes and stuff , all drawer systems and he moved all the electrics to the front nosecone making a nicer slider for a very big fridge that pulls out the back . He said that he knows of another one that was done like his (by somebody in Nelspruit) floating around Pretoria . 3 Months later a add come up on Scumtree and there was my trailer , same as one at Sondela . R63k later we load a few bottles of wine and went camping for the weekend . Everything was there , was a case of hook up and go . We love the trailer and whenever we get a gap we go camping , it's so much easier now . Like somebody mentioned , it takes 5 minutes to pop the tent and 15 minutes if you really want to put up all the other stuff .

Another option is the Africanbackbone Caprivi trailer, unbraked at 750kg GVM. http://www.africanbackbone.co.za We chose not to fit the trailer top tent, so we use the trailer as a camping luggage trailer with our ground tent being transported on top.

Thanks for all the replies, tips and advice.

I just went to echo4x4 in centurion last week to have quick look and found out a new Echo 3 is around 67k without any equipment and will be around 120k fully equipped. The tent alone is already 20k...

Quite some money

Thanks for all the replies, tips and advice.

I just went to echo4x4 in centurion last week to have quick look and found out a new Echo 3 is around 67k without any equipment and will be around 120k fully equipped. The tent alone is already 20k...

Quite some money
    As mentioned look for one thats already been equipped , you will find that most campers wants basically the same thing .

Quote Originally Posted by Pierreo View Post
    As mentioned look for one thats already been equipped , you will find that most campers wants basically the same thing .
    And even if its not exactly what you want or need it will be close, that's why we bought a used trailer, it even had a NL 80 litre fridge in it and cost the same as a near fully spec'd Outplay without a fridge
    Geoff Craig
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    (M)
    '14 VW Polo 1.2 TSI HL (SWAMBO's)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort
    4x4 Action Group membership

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wave For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2