Defender Upgrade / bigger intercooler

Default Upgrade / bigger intercooler

Where in Cape Town can I buy a upgrade intercooler for a Puma 2.2?
    DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY NEW THINGS - AFTERALL THE TITANIC WAS BUILT BY PROFESSIONALS, THE ARK BY AMATEURS

Default Re: Upgrade / bigger intercooler

PM sent

I want to do the same on my Disco 2 td5 auto the guys are crazy with their prices so Iím thinking of getting one from the racing guys and fitting it myself will be a third of the price

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobs1wp View Post
    I want to do the same on my Disco 2 td5 auto the guys are crazy with their prices so Iím thinking of getting one from the racing guys and fitting it myself will be a third of the price
    Have you tried Cirrus coolers in PTA, I have just had Chris make me up a double size cooler for my 300tdi defender.

If I remember he does one for the TD5 disco and defender.

Price was reasonable, I think.

British 4x4 pta is getting a few intercoolers next week, as I understand it the td5 def/disco and puma uses the same upgraded intercooler size.
    If memory serves they are going for R6k each, maybe its time for a group buy??
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

Nedge,

I'd be interested to know more or less what it cost. Do you have pics? How does one fit a double-size intercooler into the original space - do you have to modify stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by nedge View Post
    Have you tried Cirrus coolers in PTA, I have just had Chris make me up a double size cooler for my 300tdi defender.

If I remember he does one for the TD5 disco and defender.

Price was reasonable, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    Nedge,

I'd be interested to know more or less what it cost. Do you have pics? How does one fit a double-size intercooler into the original space - do you have to modify stuff?
    Price wise was R6000 for the Tdi. The cooler is double the thickness, so sticks out further to the front.

If you have an aircon fitted you need to shift the that a little to the front.

I haven't fitted it yet, hoping to do that next weekend. Might be necessary to change the front grill for the TD5 version that sticks out.

I can't take a pic now, but the one below is the standard vs the cad version of the upgraded one.Name:  Tdi. Std vs 130 core.JPG
Views: 768
Size:  29.2 KB

word of caution: not all intercoolers are the same, and a badly-designed bigger one will actually hamper the performance.

I suggest you read a bit on BAS' website about the development of their hi-flow intercooler: https://bellautoservices.co.uk/store...e-intercooler/

again, you get what you pay for, so make sure you are getting a quality product and that it has been tested and proven to improve performance.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

My after market intercooler is quite badly warped, I'm quite suprised it hasn't started leaking actually! I agree on the comment regarding quality...

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

Other than going for the big name brands what is there to look out for in an intercooler in terms of quality and design?
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!

-BMW G650 xChallenge

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    Other than going for the big name brands what is there to look out for in an intercooler in terms of quality and design?
    Quality, will be material used, quality of the construction and welds, overall finish.

Design is harder, as you actually need to do some testing to check flow rate, resistance vs standard as well as effectiveness of cooling and airflow through the cooler.

Design also helps if they have actually done any tests to prove the above.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nedge For This Useful Post:

Finally got around to fitting the new intercooler, it is quite large. Takes a little modification to get it to fit.

Will take test drive tomorrow and report on how well it works.

Won't there be a substantial pressure drop with it so thick?

I'm not an intercooler expert but surely bigger isn't always better. Curious to see your reviews once driven though.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

I am also a little worried about that.

At some stage I am going to fit a boost gauge before the intercooler and after and see how much of a drop.

Other option would be to make the waste gate pipe connect to the back of the intake manifold as opposed to the compressor side of the turbo.

This is quite a common mod in the UK to bypass wastegate creep. Doesn't change boost pressure to the engine, may just increase pressure into the cooler to counteract the drop.

Only time will tell.

Will keep you posted.

I had both the Elton/Eurosport cooler as well as the Alisport i/c on my two Pumas.

Made a difference in high ambient temp high speed (i.e Botswana at 43degC) driving and maybe a very, very small difference in the normal city driving.

The one (Alisport) was more than double the price of the Eurosport/Elton one and I could not tell a noticable difference in performance between the two.

Canít comment on longlivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post
    I had both the Elton/Eurosport cooler as well as the Alisport i/c on my two Pumas.

Made a difference in high ambient temp high speed (i.e Botswana at 43degC) driving and maybe a very, very small difference in the normal city driving.

The one (Alisport) was more than double the price of the Eurosport/Elton one and I could not tell a noticable difference in performance between the two.

Canít comment on longlivity.
    That is exactly the effect I am hoping for. I have noticed that on hot days she just doesn't pull as well as cooler days.

Also after a highway run, and then a short stop, the heat soak from the engine and radiator seems to take a while of "fast" driving to get the cooler down to propper efficiency again.

Only time will tell.

Finally finished the install of the new intercooler. It took quite a bit of small modifications to get it to fit. The extra depth means there are a few places that need to be adjusted and shaved to get clearance.

Took her for a test drive, first thing I noticed was that the EGT's run a lot lower. About 40 degrees, when foot flat on a long uphill.

Just as I was approaching the top of the hill I heard an all mighty pop and hiss and a sudden loss of power. Gave me a bit of a fright, but I know what had happened.

Had nissan 200sx that used to do the same. Turbo hose had come loose.

Chugged slowly home, because for one I didn't take the tool box with. Luckily it was all of 1km.

The silicone hose that connects to the compressor side of the turbo had slipped its moorings.

Weather this was as a result of additional back pressure frrom the new intercooler or if I just didn't seat and tighten it properly is anyones guess.

Once it was reattached, I went for the second test drive. She goes well, I am happy with the difference, she seems to pull a bit stranger, particularly in the mid revs. Makes town driving a lot easier as you have a bit more power on demand.

From a standstill there is a very slight hesitation for maybe a second, I presume this is the turbo filling the extra volume in the new cooler, but once that is done, she shoots off like a rocket. Well like a rocket for a 300tdi.

I am thinking of maybe going up a size on the exhaust, to provide a easier path for the exhaust gases. Not sure how much bigger to go. Any suggestions?

I have had the rear silencer removed as the old one rusted thought. But I recon after 280k km the large centre box might be quite caked up.

So possibly a free flow centre box and straight the rest of the way. With it being a 130 there is quite a distance the exhaust has to run before it can exit.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nedge For This Useful Post:

Removed the center silencer on my td5 without freeflow box. Turbo definitely feels as if it spools slightly earlier. Sound is increased but with windows up there is no noticeable difference.

I am slightly worried that you mentioned a slight hesitation at pull away as I have ordered an intercooler thats 270% original size.

Do you believe that a remap (td5) or fuel adjustment (tdi) would reduce the ďhesitationĒ?
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!

-BMW G650 xChallenge

I am sure that the remap will sort out the hesitation.

I still need to tune up the injection pump on mine to compensate for all the mods I have done.

On Saturday I plan to do the same as you and remove silencers and go up a pipe size.

Once that is done I'll tune up the pump.