Kubu island to Maun

Default Kubu island to Maun

Hi all,

We were planning a night at Baines Baobab en route to Maun (from Martins Drift) but see it is full.

We going end June.

Am considering Kubu Island as an alternative. We have done it before, but had a few delays along the way last time took the whole day to get to Gweta - is kubu to Maun in a day realistic?

Also 1 of our party has a trailer - liable to be an issue on the pan?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Duncan

Default Re: Kubu island to Maun

Duncan, why not stay at South Campsite at Nxai Pan? It is not much further than Baines.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

It mainly depends on how wet the NW side of the pans is. I've done this trip last July towing a Comfortvan caravan. Left Kubu about seven and got to Maun about three in the afternoon. Our biggest obstacle was to get through Gweta as there are many splits in the road and we ended in an informal settlement just before Gweta where I had to find way between houses and huts and fences. Try to have a reasonable updated GPS.

Thanks
    Nico

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boskreef For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Duncan, why not stay at South Campsite at Nxai Pan? It is not much further than Baines.
    Hi Stan,

I thought about that - but they also full for the night we have free.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Duncs For This Useful Post:

In April 2012, we went from Kubu to Kaziikini through Maun, stopping in Maun to shop (groceries for a week), fill up and had lunch at the Spur.

It's not too bad, but I would recommend taking the ridge road (straight North after going through the vet fence). A lot faster.

One of our party was towing a Jurgens Xcape caravan.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Its doable in June, even if you cross the Ntwetwe Pans after the Vet fence you can get to Maun quickly, late afternoon if you leave before 0900.

It depends on whether you mainly want to reach your destination in time or enjoy the trip and appreciate the special place you are. Reason one; yes you can make it, but you have to rush it a bit. Reason two: you have time to enjoy where you are. Stay over somewhere if possible.

We did the trip in July 2016 and took our time. Left Kubu not too early and stayed the night at South Camp. (The drive from the Nxai gate to South Camp took surprisingly more time than expected because of the VERY poor road condition!)

In the middle of the pans I gave my 14 year old son and my 12 year old daughter their first driving lessons, as there was nothing they could possibly hit. It gave them memories for a life time.
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4

Easy - did this in October last year. Left at the vet fence, Gweta, lunch at Planet Baobab and got to Maun mid afternoon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mike morrison For This Useful Post: