Prado 150 4.0 litre v6 aftermarket dual tank options? are there any?

Default Prado 150 4.0 litre v6 aftermarket dual tank options? are there any?

Goodevening everyone,
    This my first post all the way from mombasa, kenya . i just joined this forum but i have been reading topic for years for advice . love this forum .

straight to the point then .
    i Bought a second hand prado 150 2010 from japan , 4.0 litre v6 with a single 87litre capacity tank.
    my previous prado 150 2009 ( bought brand new from toyota ) was a 3.0 litre diesel , 150 litre fuel capacity tank , before selling it on i decided to remove the sub tank from this car and try and fit it to my petrol v6 prado.
    i initially suggested to my mech that i wanted a separate switch and gauge on aux tank so if something goes wrong the original setup of the car is not affected , however somehow he managed to convince me otherwise that he could do the job better .

1st attempt - fitted and aux tank after cleaning etc and modifying the plumbing. running just one pump from the main tank, aux tank gravity fed.
    i got a bank 1 lean code ( after a few months of diagnosis , my mech realised the right side of the engine was not getting enough fuel pressure hence the bank 1 lean code. this involved changing the oxygen sensor, cleaning the airflow sensor etc )

2nd attempt - My mechanic now tells me its wise to add a second fuel pump to the system as the engine is starved of fuel, he modifys the fuel pump housing in the original 87litre tank to hold 2 pumps ( one to pull from the aux tank and second to push to the engine ) .
    The result my car worked for a few days until it left me stranded on the road . Diagnosis original fuel pump died , so had to replace it aswell.

3rd attempt - After the car was stranded i asked my mechanic to move the second pump to the aux tank and try to keep the car main tank as factory as possible . i told him to test it and if he sees that the pressure is not enough then he should install a racing car fuel pump ( higher pressure pump) ,between the engine and the main tank , on a switch . if incase i am ever stranded because of any of the pumps in the tanks failing i can flip a switch and move on to the nearest town mechanic. The mechanic just moved the second pump to the aux tank and left the one in the original , he didn't follow my instructions and put a third pump for my peace of my mind at my expense, his a stubborn one . 1 week later , today i was stranded in the middle of no where and took 2 hours to be rescued. After the car was rescued it was diagnosed that the supplier gave us a faulty fuel pump and is going to replace it. my mechanic has accepted his fault and is going to add me a bosch pump to sit between the main tank and the engine at his cost for all inconveniences .
    i am however skeptical so am looking for advice.

so to everyone on this forum , does anyone have any suggestions or experience with their own petrol prados and setting up a dual tank setup?

i am planning my first overland trip from kenya-tanzania-zambia-nambia-sa-botswana and back. i have no hands on experience with mechanical work but i do love cars and do a lot of research on my free time. would like the system to be as reliable as possible .

My car is has the following kit:
    tjm T13 deluxe bar
    ironman 12000lbs winch
    fyrlyt nemesis 9000 spot lights
    ironman 32inch curved led bar
    airtec snorkel
    ironman 275amp dual battery system
    ironman foam cell pro medium setup , 0-300kg rear springs .
    Bf goodrich K02 275/70R18s
    mcc dual tire carrier rear bar
    ironman 150L compressor
    ironman recovery kit

thank you all in advance for all your replies .

Default Re: Prado 150 4.0 litre v6 aftermarket dual tank options? are there any?

just wondering why no one is viewing my post? did i do something wrong while making this post ??

Default Re: Prado 150 4.0 litre v6 aftermarket dual tank options? are there any?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I guess no-one has give any advice since no-one ever experienced the same problem?

I know those V6's uses a 3 stage fuel pump, low, medium and high flow, according to revs and throttle position. and only the original pump does the job 100%.

Maybe start with replacing the pump in the main tank with an original Toyota pump?

I also understand that the V6 need some good pressure from the fuel pump.

Good luck.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi

I have a old Prado 90 V6.

When I installed my second tank,I just put a fuel pump between main and aux tank.So basically everything runs from the main tank.
    When the main tank is on a 1/4 full.I flip the switch in the cab and the fuel pump start to pump fuel from the aux to the main.

At first I was also thinking to set it up so that I can have a backup if the main tank fails,but after looking at all the issues's with pressure and return pipes I decided against it and is extremely happy so far.
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I guess no-one has give any advice since no-one ever experienced the same problem?

I know those V6's uses a 3 stage fuel pump, low, medium and high flow, according to revs and throttle position. and only the original pump does the job 100%.

Maybe start with replacing the pump in the main tank with an original Toyota pump?

I also understand that the V6 need some good pressure from the fuel pump.

Good luck.

Thankyou for your response ,
    i did not know that it had 3 settings for different stages .
    i am considering getting a bosch pump as they come as replacements for original pumps and are 30% more effecient.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiluxsurf View Post
    Hi

I have a old Prado 90 V6.

When I installed my second tank,I just put a fuel pump between main and aux tank.So basically everything runs from the main tank.
    When the main tank is on a 1/4 full.I flip the switch in the cab and the fuel pump start to pump fuel from the aux to the main.

At first I was also thinking to set it up so that I can have a backup if the main tank fails,but after looking at all the issues's with pressure and return pipes I decided against it and is extremely happy so far.
    Thankyou for your response,
    i think what you have done is the best solution. although if your 2 tanks are isolated, how do you feel both of them up? do you have to filler pipes?

Hi Ab,
    You seem to have a grey import Prado with the sparewheel sits below the car and behind the rear axle.Prados that came from Toyota SA have their sparewheels on the rear door and the second tank where your spare sits now.
    I suggest you get the tank and couplings from a breakers or scrap yard from a accident damaged Prado for a stralght forward fit.
    Swakopmunder

This version of Prado, with the spare below the car was never sold in South Africa. Best would be to ask the Ausies on www.pradopoint.com , the New Zealand Prado is similar to yours.
    Cobus
    Land Cruiser 200 4.6
    Imagine Comfortvan

how do you feel both of them up? do you have to filler pipes?
    Hi.Filling up is a bit of a pain.There is a T-Piece in the main filler pipe.So basically the main tank fills up like normal and then it is a "overflow" to the second tank.This does take some time."7-10min"

There is a company in Australia where you can get a dual filler pipe https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/T...-Fuel-Tanks~98

Just for the dual filler it will be in the region of R3500 to get it in South AFrica.
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"