2018 Suzuki Jimny noise..

Default 2018 Suzuki Jimny noise..

I recently bought a 2018 Suzuki Jimny, now has +-2500 km on the clock and the other day it either started or I only noticed that it makes a noise when taking off in first gear from standstill. Only seems to be in first gear from standstill and it doesn't always do it.

Hard to describe the noise but basically you are at a robot/stop street completely stopped. Let the clutch out and accelerate and just as you've got to the end of letting the clutch out it makes a noise which can be felt in the chassis. Any other gear after that is silent.

Popped in to Suzuki Tygervalley this morning to ask and one of the guys jumped in the car with me and claimed it was completely normal and they all do it?

Only changes on the car are from H/T's to A/T tyres (stock size) and the rear seats are out, but they were out from about 5km on the clock.

Any ideas

Default Re: 2018 Suzuki Jimny noise..

Quote Originally Posted by nickza View Post
    I recently bought a 2018 Suzuki Jimny, now has +-2500 km on the clock and the other day it either started or I only noticed that it makes a noise when taking off in first gear from standstill. Only seems to be in first gear from standstill and it doesn't always do it.

Hard to describe the noise but basically you are at a robot/stop street completely stopped. Let the clutch out and accelerate and just as you've got to the end of letting the clutch out it makes a noise which can be felt in the chassis. Any other gear after that is silent.

Popped in to Suzuki Tygervalley this morning to ask and one of the guys jumped in the car with me and claimed it was completely normal and they all do it?

Only changes on the car are from H/T's to A/T tyres (stock size) and the rear seats are out, but they were out from about 5km on the clock.

Any ideas
    I think I know what you are talking about. It sounds like a plane boosting for take off (over exaggerated and for 1 second only)

Mine doing it from day one and I test drove one a few months later as it was bothering me, it did the same. Another way to explain is that it sounds like the handbrake is up while you want to move.

Anyway, try to test drive another Jimny.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I think I know what you are talking about. It sounds like a plane boosting for take off (over exaggerated and for 1 second only)

Mine doing it from day one and I test drove one a few months later as it was bothering me, it did the same. Another way to explain is that it sounds like the handbrake is up while you want to move.

Anyway, try to test drive another Jimny.
    Yeh sounds like a brake disk is dragging, vibrating then letting go all in a second or so. If yours and another does it they must be correct and it is normal.

Very weird

Quote Originally Posted by nickza View Post
    Yeh sounds like a brake disk is dragging, vibrating then letting go all in a second or so. If yours and another does it they must be correct and it is normal.

Very weird
    I think your explanation is the better way of explaining.

It is definitely that, that I am experiencing. I’m so used to it, that I can’t recall experiencing the noise until I saw this thread.

After 5 years owning it and only use it for 4x4, it is really an enjoyable vehicle!
    Sent from my iPhone

You're not alone:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...-My-Jimny-Poep

Mine does it too.

Reading the thing without watching the video. Thoughts popped into my mind....

I do not know Jimnies. But guess they have the same drive setup as other SFA vehicles (albeit on a tiny scale <- smily to soften up the ruffled feathers). Ie: rear prop shaft with slip yoke as opposed to rear prop shaft with centre bearing.

If that is the case, probably just cavitation of the prop shaft.
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Could be ABS pump coming to life...

Mine is also doing that, and has been doing since 2009.

Previous owner also mentioned it to me when I bought the Jimny in 2013.
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009

Ek het nou klaar gewerk, maar ek weet nie of die bank daarvan gaan hou nie...

My Jimny do not have this noise thing you guys are describing

mine use to do

SSSSSSSS than CLICK

if that makes any sense.

Mine also does it. Especially on hard pull away or uphill pull away. This makes me think its slip in the transfer box or diff. But I don't think its a big issue as I heard most Jimny owners experience this with no issues yet....
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15
    Neotrek Little Swift roof rack

It's very intermittent, not always there. But it is seriously nothing to be concerned about.
    Sent from my iPhone

It's very intermittent, not always there. But it is seriously nothing to be concerned about.
    Agreed
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15
    Neotrek Little Swift roof rack

Mine also does it.
    Suzuki Jimny
    Underbody Protection
    40mm Lift with Gabriel HDP's
    Some form of sound.

That noise has been coming and going on mine

2010 Suzuki Jimny _Charcoal _Led interior lights _DIY Parcel shelf _DIY Plywood loading board
    _Campmaster loading bars _DIY Awning_DIY Spotlight brackets with LED Lights _Rocksliders_ 50 mm suspension lift with Gabriel Safari HDP Shocks

_Lots of fun

On the list:
    _Xenon kit
    _Aux Battery + Dual charging system
    _Undies
    _Replacement bumper

There are so many noises on mine lol,

Mine too, specially when pulling away quickly in 1st gear, also 2018 model.

Hi,

Mine also has the "brake binding" noise on pull away, for a second or two. It is totally normal, I agree with the other posts. Mine has been doing it for 200 000km and all good. :-)

As for the other noise of a motor running for a few seconds, or a ssssh, followed by a click, correct this is the ABS system waking up and doing a self test. This will happen every time you start up and pull away, no matter if it is forward, or reverse.

No stress required.
    Eric L
    ---------------------

ME_______ - '09 SUZUKI JIMNY - Pipe Bumper / Under body Protection / Winch / Snorkel / Roof Rack / VHF+UHF Comms
    SWAMBO__ - MAHINDRA BOLERO - Feels like an SJ / loads like a truck / tows like a tank!
    RETIRED___ - '99 Gen 1 Grand Vitara / 1.6 Vitara JLX ...x2 / SJ413 SWB ...x3 / SJ413LWB ...x1 / SJ410 ...x2.