Defender 300tdi with fuel starvation

Default 300tdi with fuel starvation

Hi fellow problem solvers. Please could you help me solve a problem?

I was out of the country and my Defender 300tdi stood for 6 months in a garage. When I got back, the starter had seized, which I replaced. An o-ring in the power steering pump burst, so I replaced that. Then the car ran lekker for a couple days with some fresh diesel. I then drove maybe 50km on a highway, and when i got to the first stop street, the engine idled very roughly and the car wouldn't respond to the accelerator being pressed and the car stalled. It started easily and normally and drove a bit more before ignoring my accelerator, and then stalled again. I have added a video on YouTube video showing the engine running the link is https://youtu.be/GDi5rIrRHEU

It seems to do this when the engine is warm. I changed the fuel filter, checked the air filter, cleared the sedimentor, re-bled the fuel system, cracked open the ejectors to see if diesel sprayed out when the engine was running (it did), all the fuel lines and air pipes are solid and don't collapse when the engine is running.

I am unsure as to what my next step is. Im thinking of the following (just keeping in mind that I am leaving the country in a week and am unfortunately selling the Landy);

1) drop fuel tank, check for rust (even thought the fuel filter was clean, so a bit apprehensive of this)
    2) replace the lift pump (can I bypass it and just drive non-mountainous roads?)
    3) replace the fuel pump (pricey)
    4) build a room around it and cherish it for it's beauty for all of time (it deserves bush, mud, dirt and freedom)

I am a little desperate for help... anything would be greatly appreciated.
    Defender 110 - 300tdi (Kenny Rogers)

Default Re: 300tdi with fuel starvation

algae in the fuel tank?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    algae in the fuel tank?
    thanks very much for the rapid response! Would I be able to see that in the fuel filter or anything? How would I test that, other than draining and flushing the fuel system?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSharp View Post
    ............... other than draining and flushing the fuel system?
    sorry
    Percivamus

Percivamus

sorry

Haha, ok great thank you, I will add that onto my list. Thank you very much!

Hi Steve, firstly I'd be surprised if your issue was due to the landy standing for 6 months and also doubt that the problem is fuel quality unless someone switched your diesel with water! I suggest you do a simple test on fuel flow as a starting point as the problem probably lies with the fuel lift pump.

There have been a number of posts on this site recently regarding the replacement of this pump and I suggest you search posts from HGBosch and Landyluvver in this regard. Also you could prompt them for some help or get a diagnosis from a local Indy.

I have a 300 TDI that regularly stands for months and as long as I look after the battery it's fine.

Good luck

Could also be your fuel cap it not letting air into the tank creating the fuel lock vacume in the tank
    My Landy also stands long periods with out use as well
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

algae in the fuel tank?

I had to cut a hole into the floorboard to get the pump out. Easier than removing the tank....
    There was quite a lot of algae, I cleaned the tank out, changed the fuel filter, replaced the restrictor at the fuel filter. All went well for a day, then back to where it was. After a lot of purging it starts, but that must be done every time. It seems the hotter the engine, the more difficult to start...
    I wonder if the pump did not get damaged?
    I cleaned out the strainer at the fuel pressure relief valve as well and the strainer in the dead behind the FPR valve housing.

Injector washers are fine, maybe the injector o-rings? Once running, then all is fine...Very confusing!

Regards,
    Suid-Wes
    2006 Defender 110 Td5

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suid-Wes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    Hi Steve, firstly I'd be surprised if your issue was due to the landy standing for 6 months and also doubt that the problem is fuel quality unless someone switched your diesel with water! I suggest you do a simple test on fuel flow as a starting point as the problem probably lies with the fuel lift pump.

There have been a number of posts on this site recently regarding the replacement of this pump and I suggest you search posts from HGBosch and Landyluvver in this regard. Also you could prompt them for some help or get a diagnosis from a local Indy.

I have a 300 TDI that regularly stands for months and as long as I look after the battery it's fine.

Good luck
    Thanks very much for the tips. i will search the forum now for those posts!

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    Could also be your fuel cap it not letting air into the tank creating the fuel lock vacume in the tank
    My Landy also stands long periods with out use as well
    Thanks for that tip. I will test drive the car with the filler cap loose and see if that makes a difference. Much appreciated.

I would checkthe following two things:

• if the landy dies again, havesomeone turning the starter over and check if diesel comes out strong from the supplyside of the diesel filter (loosening the banjo bolt). If not, the fuel lift pump is most probably the culprit (experienced once similar symptoms and next time it did not wanted to start at all - was the lift pump)
    • Check the solenoid valve on the injector pump. Check that the 12V supply to it is fine. By switching the ignition on and off, you should hear it clicking as it pulls the plunger in and letting it out again. Easier to switch on and then just remove and connect the female lug at the solenoid to test.

Good luck

Surely there is clear reinforced fuel line so that you can see if there is an air leak on the tank side off the lift pump?
    Percivamus

Surely there is clear reinforced fuel line so that you can see if there is an air leak on the tank side off the lift pump?
    I am looking now and there is no clear pipe installed. Do you mean that I should change my lines for clear fuel lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus Gouws View Post
    I would checkthe following two things:

• if the landy dies again, havesomeone turning the starter over and check if diesel comes out strong from the supplyside of the diesel filter (loosening the banjo bolt). If not, the fuel lift pump is most probably the culprit (experienced once similar symptoms and next time it did not wanted to start at all - was the lift pump)
    • Check the solenoid valve on the injector pump. Check that the 12V supply to it is fine. By switching the ignition on and off, you should hear it clicking as it pulls the plunger in and letting it out again. Easier to switch on and then just remove and connect the female lug at the solenoid to test.

Good luck
    Thanks very much for these options! Solinoid valve appears to be fine. Every time i touch it, i can hear the plunger.

The loosening of the banjo, do i take it out completely, or do i just loosen it?

I'm in the engine right now, so testing these things as they come up...

I also say test the lift pump. Had same symptoms on my 300tdi Discovery couple of years ago.

Thanks very much for these options! Solinoid valve appears to be fine. Every time i touch it, i can hear the plunger.

The loosening of the banjo, do i take it out completely, or do i just loosen it?

I'm in the engine right now, so testing these things as they come up...
    I tested the solenoid valve, it worked well. I even connected the injector pump directly to the battery to ensure good contact. It made no difference to the engine performance.

I removed the banjo on top of the fuel filter, which goes to the injector pump. A decent 3/4" spray out the top, which I believe is a good height. I think I will test it again tomorrow. I will run the engine until it starts sputtering, and then open the banjo and see what the pressure is when the engine is almost stalling.

Thanks for the new things and methods you taught me!

Quote Originally Posted by wdpl View Post
    I also say test the lift pump. Had same symptoms on my 300tdi Discovery couple of years ago.
    Thanks for weighing in. I will do some more tests on the engine tomorrow. I couldn't find a replacement lift pump in East London today as well...

And the sad part.
    I was in E.L. for the day.
    I could have LOANED you my new pump in the spares box.
    For testing. My spares box is an ammo case with my overlanding kit.
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 2 SWB (Near Future)
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''

I am looking now and there is no clear pipe installed. Do you mean that I should change my lines for clear fuel lines?
    yep sorry that's what I meant
    Percivamus