Zambia to RSA Via Zimbabwe

Post Zambia to RSA Via Zimbabwe

Hi.

Has anyone gone through Zimbabwe from Zambia using the Kariba border post?

If so what is it like and any thing i need to look out for.

I am asking this because I recently traveled to Zambia via Botswana and there is a section of road in Zambia from Mazabuka to Kafue (60km)of really bad road and it took almost 2h to get through.

Wondering if via Zimbabwe might be better.

Default Re: Zambia to RSA Via Zimbabwe

Kariba border post is usually quiet and a breeze to get through. Been a long time since I used the road but there was one dangerous dip in the road where you "double bounced" and got airbourne if you were going at speed (once you turn off the the main road just before Chirundu and about halfway to the border). Other than that it is a more scenic ride and the roads in Zim are usually much better than most places in Southern Africa.

The new Zim President has put a stop to all the road blocks and the nonsense that used to be associated with that. Very few roadblocks left and they are now "user friendly".

Also be on the look out for elephants on the road until you get out of the valley and a little further on. Especially if driving at night!
    Last edited by gazza1210; 2018/02/26 at 09:48 AM.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Quote Originally Posted by gazza1210 View Post
    Kariba border post is usually quiet and a breeze to get through. Been a long time since I used the road but there was one dangerous dip in the road where you "double bounced" and got airbourne if you were going at speed (once you turn off the the main road just before Chirundu and about halfway to the border). Other than that it is a more scenic ride and the roads in Zim are usually much better than most places in Southern Africa.

The new Zim President has put a stop to all the road blocks and the nonsense that used to be associated with that. Very few roadblocks left and they are now "user friendly".

Also be on the look out for elephants on the road until you get out of the valley and a little further on. Especially if driving at night!

Thanks

I think i will return that way. I don't travel at night as i do not know the roads.

Yes, much quieter than the madhouse at Chirundu. Will use it everytime and don't mind the bit longer road.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdmcclure View Post
    Hi.

Has anyone gone through Zimbabwe from Zambia using the Kariba border post?

If so what is it like and any thing i need to look out for.

I am asking this because I recently traveled to Zambia via Botswana and there is a section of road in Zambia from Mazabuka to Kafue (60km)of really bad road and it took almost 2h to get through.

Wondering if via Zimbabwe might be better.
    i am in Namibia. Can't really have a helpful reply directly to your question.

What i do know though is that Zambia has some pretty bad roads towards the borders. Anyone planning a trip FROM South Africa or Namibia.....via Wenela Border Post .....cross into Zambia and travel ALONG border to Vic Falls.... beware..... That Road from Wenela Border Post to Vic Falls (inside Zambian border) is a pretty bad road for over 100km. Just don't do it. Even if you have a 4x4....You will be sorry......