Ford & Mazda Increasing theft of Ford Rangers - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Increasing theft of Ford Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Unless you have fitted a number of after market goodies like replacement bumpers which was not covered by insurance!
    If you notify your insurer of the add-ons and request they insure them then there is not a problem. It might increase your premium slightly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nigelgeast For This Useful Post:

So this afternoon I was at a client in Jet Park. Yesterday he told me about a bakkie which was stolen the previous day. I was waiting around outside and decided to move my bakkie to another parking spot. As I approached I saw the %$#^*&^s already with the drivers' door open. Off course I shouted and ran. They left everyting and jumped into their getaway car.

Arrived at my bakkie to find the door lock busted, steering lock thingie on the left of the steering column removed and ignition on. I think it may have been four seconds before they were gone with my bakkie. Left hand wheel arch off course cut open and alarm disconnected (I know I have been warned!!).

At this stage it seems they only got away with my wallet. Admin drama. Will have the door lock and ignition assessed.

Ford love this.....
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Ford love this.....
    I am sure waldo and all the other victims of vehicle theft doesn't...... and nor would I.
    Whatever is on order will be hijacked or stolen.
    Last edited by AntonN; 2019/11/29 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waldo_g View Post
    So this afternoon I was at a client in Jet Park. Yesterday he told me about a bakkie which was stolen the previous day. I was waiting around outside and decided to move my bakkie to another parking spot. As I approached I saw the %$#^*&^s already with the drivers' door open. Off course I shouted and ran. They left everyting and jumped into their getaway car.

Arrived at my bakkie to find the door lock busted, steering lock thingie on the left of the steering column removed and ignition on. I think it may have been four seconds before they were gone with my bakkie. Left hand wheel arch off course cut open and alarm disconnected (I know I have been warned!!).

At this stage it seems they only got away with my wallet. Admin drama. Will have the door lock and ignition assessed.
    My 3.2 was almost stolen in June 2017 at Smuts House, drivers door lock busted, ignition lock busted, and alarm disabled. Of course I was clever and only had the locks, etc. replaced by the agents. In December last year they eventually succeeded. Its still gone.... Do yourselves a favour, have a look at the "My Ford was broken into South Africa" facebook page, you should get the contact details there of Matthew Parker, he's in Fourways. For the royal amount of something like R500 he will sort out the new lock, move the alarm, etc. well worth the money. Believe me its the ONLY way to make sure your bakkie will remain where you parked it. He did not do mine, had somebody else do mine, but basically the same idea. (PS. Locks fixed/replaced by Ford will cost you, or your insurance around R11k, but once done contact Matt ASAP!). Ford has the habit to fit absolutely sh%$^ locks to all their cars and just ignores the high number of break-ins or thefts of vehicles made by them....

I'm at the fishing tackle shop now. For some reason I am going to need plnty hooks in the near future. Cause I'm going fishing....

Quote Originally Posted by waldo_g View Post
    I'm at the fishing tackle shop now. For some reason I am going to need plnty hooks in the near future. Cause I'm going fishing....
    Gamakatsu trebles work very well
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Gamakatsu trebles work very well
    At those prices I prefer to use rusted ones which have matured for a few months at a dodgy seawater spot with rotting organic material still attached.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgl View Post
    My 3.2 was almost stolen in June 2017 at Smuts House, drivers door lock busted, ignition lock busted, and alarm disabled. Of course I was clever and only had the locks, etc. replaced by the agents. In December last year they eventually succeeded. Its still gone.... Do yourselves a favour, have a look at the "My Ford was broken into South Africa" facebook page, you should get the contact details there of Matthew Parker, he's in Fourways. For the royal amount of something like R500 he will sort out the new lock, move the alarm, etc. well worth the money. Believe me its the ONLY way to make sure your bakkie will remain where you parked it. He did not do mine, had somebody else do mine, but basically the same idea. (PS. Locks fixed/replaced by Ford will cost you, or your insurance around R11k, but once done contact Matt ASAP!). Ford has the habit to fit absolutely sh%$^ locks to all their cars and just ignores the high number of break-ins or thefts of vehicles made by them....
    The Toyota locks must also be crap if one looks at how many are stolen, I would say the locks make very little difference to if a vehicle gets taken or not.

I own a newer "keyless start" model, I wonder if that will deter them in any way?

...Hope I haven't put the wrong message out into the universe....

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Van der Poll View Post
    I own a newer "keyless start" model, I wonder if that will deter them in any way?

...Hope I haven't put the wrong message out into the universe....
    When they steal a car they dont use the keys either, think they have the wiring sorted already. I had a vehicle stolen from me once by means of tow truck. A 1989 citi golf, easy enough to steal, but the gearlock in those days called for a tow truck.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

Call me a cynic but: for every insured Ford that gets stolen, Ford benefits from a new replacement sale or parts/labour to fix the damage, so it's a balance between extra sales and fixing the problem (and maybe their reputation).
    AND the Government gets 15% VAT of the sale/spare parts, so no real incentive to stop this revenue stream, business is good.
    Ford Ranger XLS 4x4 D/C 2.2 Auto, Mazda CX-5 Akera, 2018 Honda Africa Twin DCT, 2019 Trent (Rear Fold Hard Floor Camper).
    Drone Consultant & Pilot Instructor, ex-Nature Site Guide (VPDA)[NQF6]

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    When they steal a car they dont use the keys either, think they have the wiring sorted already. I had a vehicle stolen from me once by means of tow truck. A 1989 citi golf, easy enough to steal, but the gearlock in those days called for a tow truck.
    Easy peasy for these guys. They carry a computer around (easy to buy off the internet), plug it into the car's diagnostic port and use that to "remove" the details of your keyfob and the programme in the details of a blank keyfob they carry with them them, a minute or two and they start the car and they are gone. Actually easier for them to steal a "keyless" car than one with a key, in the latter case they still reprogramme the keyfob and then need a screwdriver or similar to force the ignition switch which takes a bit longer....thats what they do with Rangers......

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    The Toyota locks must also be crap if one looks at how many are stolen, I would say the locks make very little difference to if a vehicle gets taken or not.
    Those locks are all crap.....just depends on whether your vehicle is on the shopping list or not....

Not sure if it was on this forum, but somewhere there is a video of the scum opening the bonnet through the grill. Anyone maybe have a link to the video?
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by pardus View Post
    Call me a cynic but: for every insured Ford that gets stolen, Ford benefits from a new replacement sale or parts/labour to fix the damage, so it's a balance between extra sales and fixing the problem (and maybe their reputation).
    AND the Government gets 15% VAT of the sale/spare parts, so no real incentive to stop this revenue stream, business is good.
    Is this not the case with each manufacturer or Iím missing the point.

This would offer some physical security, and if they get past that, little else would have stopped them:

https://pedlock.co.za

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5