Alucab Poptop tent dreams shattered

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Alucab Poptop tent dreams shattered

I was very keen to do the poptop tent conversion to my 98 defender 110. It ticks all the boxes for me; quick setup and take down so I can still use the vehicle to bugger off into the bush early morning to go do some fishing. Or to pull down and go for an afternoon game drive.

With eager anticipation I opened the quote from 4X4 MEGA World only to be greeted by a figure that made me doubt my eyesight and/or my sanity. I also felt a stabbing pain in my nether regions but this could be unrelated. After rubbing my eyes for a bit to try get them to comprehend the madness the figure came into focus...

90K thank you very much. Do they know the roof just bolts off. I did it by myself in 30 minutes...(actually labour is 'only' 6.5k of the total cost) that's a chunk of cash for a few pieces of canvas, few gass struts, a board of sorts, a thin mattress and whatever else is needed.

Anyway I suppose they have a perfectly good reason why it's so expensive, a reason that I'm not particularly interested in as even if they convince me that the cost is justified it is still so far out of my financial orbit, not to mention over capitalising on my vehicle.

So..are there any similar more affordable alternatives available to me besides the standard RTT/TTT?

Your advice and input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by frogstar; 2018/02/24 at 02:38 PM.

Default Re: Alucab Poptop tent dreams shattered

Agreed that is crazy! Have you considered a bundutop?

http://www.bundutec.co.za/bundutop.html
    Cruiser 76 V8
    Disco 4 XS

Try blinkgat Sarel is a member on the forum
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

The guy that used to do all Alucab custom work has left Alucab and started his own business.As you know Alucab does not do any custom work anymore.
    Ive seen some of his work since he started his own business and its top notch.Why not get a quote from him.
    Alu-Innovations Ottery.They are just behind Alucab.
    Cassiem Isaacs 083 530 7503
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    1983 Suzuki SJ 410 SOA.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LC Man For This Useful Post:

Do you mean the Fliptop tent, or what exactly are you looking for?
    My Alucab Fliptop tent as it was called at the time cost R23k 2 years ago, its now changed to the Expedition tent and costs a bit more, but it seems there is something wrong here... I suggest you check with Alucab.
    I have Alucab canopy and RTT used on extended rough Africa trips ...with no problems. Alucab seem to be used by most 4x4 rental places and I understand they re-use them when replacing the vehicles so are cost effective in the long run.

Also the 270 awning is great but only really useful when camped in the rain... then its brilliant... Easy Awn is cheaper than Alucab but needs attention from time to time.

Btw you could also ask Alucab if they have and old for sale?
    And I suggest seeing them in person rather than by phone so you can see what they offer and explain your needs ... you get much better attention that way!
    Last edited by jay; 2018/02/25 at 08:13 AM. Reason: more info.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Do you mean the Fliptop tent, or what exactly are you looking for?
    My Alucab Fliptop tent as it was called at the time cost R23k 2 years ago, its now changed to the Expedition tent and costs a bit more, but it seems there is something wrong here... I suggest you check with Alucab.
    I have Alucab canopy and RTT used on extended rough Africa trips ...with no problems. Alucab seem to be used by most 4x4 rental places and I understand they re-use them when replacing the vehicles so are cost effective in the long run.

Also the 270 awning is great but only really useful when camped in the rain... then its brilliant... Easy Awn is cheaper than Alucab but needs attention from time to time.

Btw you could also ask Alucab if they have and old for sale?
    And I suggest seeing them in person rather than by phone so you can see what they offer and explain your needs ... you get much better attention that way!
    No not the same thing. I included a picture showing what I'm after. The actual roof lifts up.

Thanks all for your comments will follow up on all suggestions appreciate it.

Contact Blinkgat Products, Sarel F on the forum. He does great custom work, if I remember last time when I was at his place he was busy chopping off a Cruiser's roof to do something similar for a client.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.
    You probably heard people saying Africa is not for sissies. Well, neither is it for wussy equipment.
    Man who dies with most gear wins!

This one we did .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180225-WA0016.jpg 
Views:	1119 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	478863
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4

All those conversions are terrible expensive and don't convince me at all: either to heavy, not too my likes or not practical at all....
    I therefore decided to rebuild my 110 on my own. Cost wise I should be way below of what is offered by all the 'pro's'. Currently in contact with the NRCS to make sure that everything gets approved once I am ready.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20311035hr.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	478871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20317690xe.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	478872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20317692zy.jpg 
Views:	752 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	478873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25957198sr.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	478874
    2002 - Defender 110, TD5
    2016 - Duster

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LR110 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LR110 View Post
    All those conversions are terrible expensive and don't convince me at all: either to heavy, not too my likes or not practical at all....
    I therefore decided to rebuild my 110 on my own. Cost wise I should be way below of what is offered by all the 'pro's'. Currently in contact with the NRCS to make sure that everything gets approved once I am ready.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20311035hr.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	478871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20317690xe.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	478872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20317692zy.jpg 
Views:	752 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	478873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25957198sr.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	478874
    Very nice! Looks very professional
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears

Quote Originally Posted by GasHog View Post
    Very nice! Looks very professional
    Well, those pictures do not show my 110. But mine will look like that one in the pictures once ready (different color though). Planning and design is done, currently I am in talks with the officials to make sure that I get the rebuild approved and legal. Will start building hopefully within the next 2 months.
    Last edited by LR110; 2018/02/25 at 07:16 PM.
    2002 - Defender 110, TD5
    2016 - Duster

Very nice but doesn't look like a Landy anymore. It's a poppa 4x4 caravan that's for sure

Try Hein Burnett from Burnco for that mod - Alucab is expensive but kind of in a class of its own with some things - I have the 270 degree awning with the full house Gen 3 Expedition tent on top - that mattress as thin as it is, is as good as my bed at home if not nicer

Quote Originally Posted by frogstar View Post
    No not the same thing. I included a picture showing what I'm after. The actual roof lifts up.

Thanks all for your comments will follow up on all suggestions appreciate it.
    Looks like a flip top tent to me...whats the difference?

Smile Re: Alucab Poptop tent dreams shattered

Looks like a flip top tent to me...whats the difference?
    Well, the Landy with a pop-up roof like that that I know about is like a caravan inside, the bed just happens to be under the pop-up roof, with everything else below. Think that was a 130 though.
    There is only one...

Quote Originally Posted by richarda View Post
    Try blinkgat Sarel is a member on the forum
    Second that.
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up
    Rock sliders, Spare wheel carrier, Roof Rack, Aluminium canopy, Tentco RTT, Tentco Awning, 280Ah Dual batteries, 3 x Sliding Drawers, Water tank, Hot Shower, Kitchen

Try ECO VELD GEAR in Brackenfell. Their website is all about trailers, but I saw a slide-on camper with their name on it parked in the Helderberg Nature Reserve two weeks ago, and I was really impressed by the quality of the build.

Quote Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
    Well, the Landy with a pop-up roof like that that I know about is like a caravan inside, the bed just happens to be under the pop-up roof, with everything else below. Think that was a 130 though.

I see... as a matter of interest why do you prefer that to a RTT? You are going to lose a whole lot of packing space etc...and you will need to extend the length of the vehicle.
    You may struggle to sell it when the time comes, and if the vehicle is stuffed you loose your caravan as well, whereas if you have a rtt you can move it to your next vehicle.

I see... as a matter of interest why do you prefer that to a RTT? You are going to lose a whole lot of packing space etc...and you will need to extend the length of the vehicle.
    You may struggle to sell it when the time comes, and if the vehicle is stuffed you loose your caravan as well, whereas if you have a rtt you can move it to your next vehicle.
    I don't know what @frogstar's motives are, but I am in the process of selling my Wild Earth RTT, and Sarel at Blinkgat is busy doing a camper conversion on my Hilux, very similar to the pics shown by LR110 above. My reasons are that we are going to travel to places where it rains a lot, and it would not be fun to clamber up to bed in the pouring rain night after night. It can also get very cold, and it will be really nice to get up and make a morning coffee before going out into -5 deg.
    You do lose packing space, and we will have to re-think that drawer full of 'just-in-case' tinned food which would last a month, etc.

As for resale value, my 2007 Hilux SRX has an insurance value of R50 k, last I checked, so that is not an issue.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RodS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    Try Hein Burnett from Burnco for that mod - Alucab is expensive but kind of in a class of its own with some things - I have the 270 degree awning with the full house Gen 3 Expedition tent on top - that mattress as thin as it is, is as good as my bed at home if not nicer
    Hein built mine on 110 p/u back in 09 and Ive never looked back. I camp for 1 day or 6 months and only need to buy fresh food. Can sit in back if raining or animals around. Even have cloud nine mattresses for the bed so plenty space. Will try and add photo but dont know how. if anyone can help?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast