Why is there so few 4x4 Community day trips?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why is there so few 4x4 Community day trips?

So the last few days i have been asking myself why are there no day events? when you go to facebook on a Monday morning most of the times you can see Johan Swift or Mad Many and a few others did a trail somewhere. whether it be mild or wild. Groenkloof or Mogatle.

Where are the post saying "going to XYZ trail on Saturday who is joining" no arrangements, no catering, no politics, just rock up drive and have a braai afterwards. AND GO HOME?

Yes there are other groups and clubs but most of the time it is weekend events.

When did we start complicating things? i know a lot of forum members that i have never met face to face yet i am in Gauteng roughley twice a month.

I saw this post of hedge hog. http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...Bela-(Warmbad) where they ask about trails, and one is closed "Shamach"

Yes the economy is tough but it is not only on us..... what about the 4x4 venues? if we don't support them they are going to go out of business. and then we complain that there are no trails to go to. think of the drive-ins.......

Now that the Bridgestone challenge is no more, i am sure that a lot of people will have open weekends and be looking for a bit of camaraderie.

When i did the Dos sete diablos none of the venues even knew what i was talking about. yet it could have been a major marketing tool.

Yes when doing trail "XYZ" for the 4th time it does tend to get boring. That is why Mogatle, piesangkloof and De wildt has made new trial sections and obstacles.
    2012 JK Rubicon (PANDA) ..... because jeep......
    2011 V9X Pathfinder...... because Baby to be onboard

EX 2009 Jimny , tricked to the teeh....

Default Re: Why is there so few 4x4 Community day trips?

This Thread is 6 hours old, not one reply.

But Start a Thread poking fun at a Toureg (as happened today) even if you own a Toureg (as the OP of that Thread did) & there's a dozen replies in minutes.

If that doesn't answer the OP's question - nothing will...

....keyboard offroaders tend to shy away from threads like this. You would have LOVED Schamach. I was fortunate to do it twice before Rooi Koos left and it was closed.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakkie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post

But Start a Thread poking fun at a Toureg (as happened today) even if you own a Toureg (as the OP of that Thread did) & there's a dozen replies in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post
    ....keyboard offroaders tend to shy away from threads like this. You would have LOVED Schamach. I was fortunate to do it twice before Rooi Koos left and it was closed.
    and had more than 100 views.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post
    Or we sit here and wish we had a vehicle to do trips with .
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

But here is my answer, please note, where I refer to 4x4'ing, I refer to Off Roading & Overlanding:

Why is there less 4x4'ing?
    Short answer - Zuma.

Also, vehicles are getting a little softer.

Why are there less 4x4 (Off Road & Overland) GTG Threads on the Forum?
    The Forum started off as a Forum for the 4x4 Community & has evolved into a Community Forum with it's roots in 4x4'ing.

Perhaps we need a dedicated 4x4 User section (Off Road & Overland) with it's own pub & then two sub sections 4x4 vehicles & 4x4 outings?
    I dunno.

Does Off Forum 4x4'ing (Off Road & Overland) take place?
    Hell yes... plenty. Sadly.
    Last year KurtG & I did a test, we arranged a 4x4 GTG on the Forum & a month later on Whatsapp.
    All else was similar. The Whatsapp GTG was better attended.

Why don't guys arrange GTG's on Forum?
    Short answer - you open yourself up for critique & comments from the armchair theorists.

What is my (Personal) view?
    A serious 4x4'er, someone like Johan Swift, Neon Deon, the OP or the late great Willie (Sampie) no longer commands the respect he (or she) once did.
    I've seen a newbie take on Engel on a topic where Engel is clearly a Master & before XJJ left/was banned, another Noob insulted his comments on sand driving (to be fair - Neil was being a little flippant).

Unfortunately people we refer to with the 'W' word (Wxxwheeler) now hold more sway than the guys who go 4x4'ing (whether Off Road or Overland)

Quickly write down the names of 10 Forumites, the first 10 who come into your head.
    I'm willing to bet that at least 8 never go 4x4'ing (Off Road & Overland).

So we get Threads about Tattoos from non 4x4'ers, we get Threads bemoaning the poor offering of Wranglers from guys who would never need one, we have 'My job in pictures' Threads from guys who don't go 4x4'ing (Off Road & Overland) .

What can be done?
    In my view - very little. It's the nature of the beast. I have done my best to stem the decline.
    I put countless hours into Ultimate Trail Master but that Thread receives less attention then a Thread about a Rock Wall or Pool problem.

The good news is that there is this Forum & we can discuss these issues - imagine if there was no Forum with a 4x4 bent...

It's no one's fault - it's evolution...

It's 2018. There are so many other communications media available to people nowadays, most of them a lot more accessible and user-friendly than a web forum. There are outings happening all the time from all of them. On any given weekend I could choose to join a group from any number of Facebook groups, WhatsApp groups or personal friends. I typically do some 4x4ing at least once a month or so, and sometimes more, but I can count on 2 fingers the number of outings I've been on with fellow 4x4community members.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyG For This Useful Post:

I will admit ... I haven't done a trail in more than a year. The finances, she not be so beautiful.

Fingers crossed that the books I am currently publishing will enable me to start doing fun stuff again.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post

Not everybody advertises their trips here as we tend to do private trips with people who don't look to poke fun at someone's vehicle around every turn.

Noticed this thread? http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...g-away-weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Su-SWYS-ki View Post
    and had more than 100 views.
    I am happy that I was one of the views...

4x4 is standing for some repairs, well overdue.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Seems to be the trend across many 4x4 forums.

The die hard lot withdraw, exhausted by the daily niggling of the keyboard warriors.

These tend to be the guys that get out most and arranged these days in the past....

I'm busy sorting my bastardized vehicle so cannot do much - not that we have many trails in our immediate region.

Then of course the economy...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bacon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Not everybody advertises their trips here as we tend to do private trips with people who don't look to poke fun at someone's vehicle around every turn.

Well why make it exclusive (Touareg) if it is already difficult to get people to join?

In my experience Defender drivers don't tend to bash other brands because:
    1. We tend to be relaxed people
    2. We are used to getting brand bashed
    3. We quietly know that we can go where no other's can go
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

17. The Following User Says Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

I whats app friends every weekend when we go dunedriving(and we are in the dunes every weekend and do beachdriving at least 2 a week) , even close friends seldom pitch . Ive met a few forum members on dunes trips and only two I did not like ( hope they(the majority who've met me) can say the as me )

Anyone in the area that wants to join a trip is always welcome when we go for a spin ........... but sadly its easier to comment here than testing yourself and meeting new people

Not sure that Thread helps your case.
    Poor chap has no takers...

Invite them and they will come. Don't wait for others to arrange a 4x4 trip. Arrange it yourself. There is nothing to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    Invite them and they will come. Don't wait for others to arrange a 4x4 trip. Arrange it yourself. There is nothing to it.

Ok , ons gaan saterdag weer van 15h00 tot 19h30 op n trippie in die duine in vanaf langstrand na duin 7 . Almal welkom

That gentleman is trying to organize a trip but you had to post 'nothing' on it. Why comment if you don't do 4x4 trails? Just keep out of it.

I hope he gets some real 4x4'ers to wheel with him. This is what this forum is about.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Stoffel For This Useful Post:

Yes as stated the economy..... but most trails are R250 -R400 for car and 4 adults.... on the Whiskey there are bottles that costs more than that.

Take R400 + R150 for wors and rolls and R50 for 3x 2LT Cooldrinks.=R600

That is a outing with food for 4. A evening out at a restaurant is more than that. Going to watch a rugby game is more.....

I looked at the Movies the other day of DVR vs Manny. Damn that looked like a fun day.... but yes a lot of planning went into it.

Yes the private groups do outings, but for the new guy looking to do something on the weekend he doesn't know where to go and with whom. I have gone to a certain trail and was turned away 3 times as i was not allowed to do the route alone.

I am NOT saying organise a event with sponsors etc. what i am looking for is for example " hi i am going to Mogatle Saturday who is coming with, i will supply the Charcoal"

Quote Originally Posted by Bartho View Post

Ok , ons gaan saterdag weer van 15h00 tot 19h30 op n trippie in die duine in vanaf langstrand na duin 7 . Almal welkom
    Jy weet my LexJeep sal nie Garries haal nie. Nevermind Duits Wes Afrika! Verskoon my asseblief!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    That's partially true. If you want to do something 2 weeks from now, it's easily doable on the forum. If you decide at 16:00 on a Friday that you want to go do something at 09:00 on Saturday, it's a horrible place to try and organise.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyG For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast