toyota 1 kzte over heating

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default toyota 1 kzte over heating

HI Guys. We are stumped. Anyone else out there that has 1kzte overheating problems? Only under load??Dad bought a hilux surf 3 liter diesel second hand to tow his very small caravan. First tow up little switzerland and it overheated. So he bought the van back down, now with a leaking water pump. changed that, and still the same. Here is the list of things we have done:
    • changed water pump, OEM
    • Changed thermostat 82deg
    • Serviced Radiator with new cap 1.0 bar, no leaks, but it is copper? Will ALi really do so much better?
    • Changed viscous fan, because this seemed faulty.
    • we ran the car, and it still overheated under load,
    • Then took head in, was cracked, so we put in a new head, decided it was a good time to do the whole motor, from pistons, rings,bearings etc etc etc
    • ran the motor for 900 km dropped oil and towed, guess what, it overheated again.
    • Then we split the ATF fluid from the radiator and put in an aftercooler thinking that oil from the ATF was preheating the water to the intake, was a marginal improvement.
    • Then we thought differently and changed the thermostat from 82 down to 70 deg. Also under normal conditions it perfect, add load and you have issues.
    • Then we thought some more and came up with the idea that the thermostat at the bottom of the block, facing towards the block could possibly be the reason that the block is running hot all the time, so we changed that to run at the top of the head facing the block still, but now regulating the heat from the head and not the block.

Ya you guessed it, it still is overheating. Are we wrong in thinking that there could be a design fault in this motor? That perhaps the water pump location is not right? Or that the flow from the block to the head is not very well thought out? Before we installed the new head gaskets, we made absolutely sure that all the water ports were visible, so that cant be an issue now.

Has anyone here fitted an aftermarket water pump, on its own feed and circulation, totally independent from the motor??
    Any help will be appreciated .

Thanks guys

Default Re: toyota 1 kzte over heating

Overheating under load is directly related to Exhaust Gas Temperatures and fuelling.

I suggest an EGT probe and gauge as a first step. Also, don't over-rev those engines when towing: sustained 3000rpm under load will cause problems. It is NOT a D4-D that revs to 4000rpm.

Secondly, you are obviously assuming the radiator is OK. The only way to check properly is to remove the end tanks and insert rods through each micro channel in the core.

This rad would need to be at least a staggered 3-core to provide sufficient flow and cooling at high load conditions. I'm wondering why they put a copper radiator in when the original was surely aluminium? Find a Prado radiator for the KZ-TE.

If all else fails, there is a guy in Gauteng that puts the 3.0 D4-D engine in as a replacement.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Thanks for the response man.

Radiator tested by Silvertons.

Interesting thought on the exhaust gasses.Can you elaborate this thought into a practical solution, like turbo problems? If the sensor ids faulty will it not smoke? If We start the car cold, there is a small puff of black smoke, not much, and nothing when driving.??

We are lost for words.

Thanks again for any info

This might be a stupid question and has probably been addressed when Silverton Radiators did the test, but I had a simmilar problem in Kaudom driving through the thick sand. Replaced the viscous in Kasane but I think what my major problem was, was due to accessive grass between the two radiators which is difficult to inspect as you have to remove that bottom plate and can be easily forgotton. After cleaning the radiator, ( as said, lots of grass due to my own negligance?) and replacing the viscous, my problem was solved. December I replaced the special oil in my viscous coupling, had hardly any oil in, and keep it now as a spare. I do think that you probably have done this already. Rudy

HI Rudy,

Yes the radiators are clear and free of any dirt. Any ideas on a cracked block We are not having starting issues, she purrs like a kitten, there is no white blue smoke on start up, there is no water in the oil, no bubbles in the radiator suggesting that we might have cracked the head again, we are absolutely gutted..............next move Lexus v8

Hi, I drive a 3rd Gen Surf and I did what Jelo mentioned, i put in the Prado rad, original Toyota, if you need it i can find the ome part number for you, it has a thicker core but its a straight fit in place of the original one. Also, what viscous fan did you fit? The Aisin one?In these motors the viscous is crucial.Are you using proper coolant at the right concentration? Any restrictions to the rad air flow?I have just replaced my thermostat with Ome one, i think its 76 degrees?Atf, is it nice and red? If not do a few drain and refills, its around 4and half liter each time you do it. Let us knowCheers

HI there,

Thanks for that. The radiator is a copper unit, but 4 core. Also we put in a intercooler for the ATF with electric fan at 90 degc , We are running a OEM 70 degC thermostat. Under normal conditions the van is beautiful, only under load does it overheat. Can one adjust the diesel pump , would over fueling cause a problem like this? Viscous fan is a solid state fan now, we even changed fans, tried original viscous fans, 16 inch electric fan to....nothing.......we are missing something And I dont know what.

HEEEEEEEEElp

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    .............. , would over fueling cause a problem like this?
    yes

and eventually cause the engine to destroy itself

FIT AN EGT PROBE AND GAUGE

Great, I was thinking along those lines, next question, this is a ECU controlled pump, can you adjust the flow or pressure on it?

One has to suspect the cooling ability of the system. You haven't mentioned checking the v-belt tension, but I'm convinced you have that under control. You guys have really thought of everything. In my mind is a new radiator your only solution- and maybe an upgraded one while you are at it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

I will never be able to live with myself if I sell this vehicle in this condition. V belts are good. I cannot help but think there is a design flaw in the circulation of coolant from the block to the head. Perhaps causing cavities of air pockets. I am absolutely dumbstruck with this motor. Even considering a Craig Davies electronic water pump!

Just read the thread of the overheating 3.4 Prado.

Maybe it will be worth pulling the head and just making sure all is kosher. (The gasket was upside down.)
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Somebody once mentioned something about some of the water jacket ports were blanked off on either the gasket or the head and had to be drilled out.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Somebody once mentioned something about some of the water jacket ports were blanked off on either the gasket or the head and had to be drilled out.
    HI Yes,

When we fitted the new head, we aligned all the holes prior to installation just to make sure it was good, and it was. The head came from Heads for Africa, with a supplied original gasket.
    Can the ECU on this model be manually adjusted ?

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but interested to know if you solved this problem?

99% sure the issue is with the radiator. Toyota will never admit it but on the KZTE Prado's (and to a lesser extent the KZTE Hilux's) had over-heating problems with not much explanation why. Its weird that there's a copper radiator in there as the OE Toyota one is aluminium, perhaps a previous owner had similar problems and tried what seemed to be an upgraded radiator to fix the issue. Thing is, copper radiators come in all sorts of different core designs: flat fin vs corrugated fin, staggered tubes vs in-line tubes, even tube spacing changes depending on what was spec'd when it was built.

Most aftermarket radiator factories produce aluminium radiators in standard thicknesses (16mm/22mm/26mm/32mm/etc), speaking from experience, most dont make 36mm cores but the OE KZTE radiator needs minimum 36mm thickness. sounds like a small difference, 32mm vs 36mm, but its a known issue amongst the better guys in the cooling business. Basically you either fit the original Toyota 36mm radiator, or you hunt around for an aftermarket 40mm radiator, almost definitely will solve your problem.

...And if by some small chance the proper radiator doesn't fix it, look into a product called Evans waterless coolants. Normal coolant/antifreeze contains water, and when hot builds up pressure (hence needing a pressure cap), Evans has a much much higher boiling point, so under most driving conditions it never builds up pressure enough to cause a leak. Also doesnt allow small steam pockets and cavitation along the exterior of the cylinder walls and around the combustion chambers.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MarshallGTi For This Useful Post:

meh

Most kz te engines that I have seen overheat , the viscous had stopped doing its job...

Also change that thermostat for the 76deg unit
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

what about fitting an intercooler? cooler air going in = cooler motor?
    and an oil cooler?
    Its not about how fast you are but about how quick you get there...

Daai KZTE en die 0u 5L Turbo Diesel (die 3,0) was loshande die k&kste dieselenjin wat nie net Toyota nie, maar enige auto maker kon uitgedink het.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Daai KZTE en die 0u 5L Turbo Diesel (die 3,0) was loshande die k&kste dieselenjin wat nie net Toyota nie, maar enige auto maker kon uitgedink het.
    Noooo, the 5L is just slow but it never broke
    FJC - Just Cruising

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast