Ctek 250 upgrade to smartpass - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Ctek 250 upgrade to smartpass

Quote Originally Posted by getoutahere View Post
    You say you can charge/bulk charge a 100ah battery in 2 hours... I beg to differ. I have watched the rate of charge of the 250 on numerous occasions using the victron and can take anything up to 12 hours or more to charge.. Even with 2 game drives a day, of a couple hours, the system looses. The charge starts at 19.9 amps and drops off after a couple minutes to 4-5amps. No matter how flat the battery is. Highly irritating.

Originally thought it was because of the heat in the engine bay but I've tested from richtersveld to frosty mornings in the free state. Same thing.
    Let me guess - that's with deep cycle batteries. I agree that the spartpass will not help with them as the charge with 2 105AHr batteries will quickly dip below 20A, even with the D250. Had the same problem when I was still using 105AHr deep cycle batteries. That is where the 102Ahr high cycle batteries are better. That is one of the main reasons I moved to LC batteries, and have not looked back. 2 x 90AHr LCs outperformed 2 x 105AHr deep cycle batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Let me guess - that's with deep cycle batteries. I agree that the spartpass will not help with them as the charge with 2 105AHr batteries will quickly dip below 20A, even with the D250. Had the same problem when I was still using 105AHr deep cycle batteries. That is where the 102Ahr high cycle batteries are better. That is one of the main reasons I moved to LC batteries, and have not looked back. 2 x 90AHr LCs outperformed 2 x 105AHr deep cycle batteries.
    Yes deep cycle. Originally thought it was the battery so went through the expensive excersise of buying a new Gel type deep cycle, only for the same thing to happen.

Those LC batteries sound like a plan, but I fear space being the biggest problem...

Please send a link of those batteries
    Last edited by getoutahere; 2018/02/19 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik du Toit View Post
    Ive installed a 250 and smartpass in my Bush lapa using two vehicles to tow. Vehicle A with 35sqr cable to tow hitch, vehicle B with 16sqr cable.
    Working perfect on vehicle A but on B, the voltage drop below 12.8 the moment you start pulling serious amps and smartpass kicks our.
    Need to upgrade B now to 35sqr.

Lesson learn which make sense, ensure you are running proper cable between smartpass and alternator especially over distance.
    What's working perfectly?

I've used the green welding cable everywhere. And I'm running short distances..

Yes deep cycle. Originally thought it was the battery so went through the expensive excersise of buying a new Gel type deep cycle, only for the same thing to happen.

Those LC batteries sound like a plan, but I fear space being the biggest problem...

Yes deep cycles obviously charge slow(er). Not good for over landing purposes as one need to recharge in a few hours. LC, AGM, high cycle and those type recharge much quicker, even a start battery will work better.
    Last edited by JLK; 2018/02/19 at 06:21 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

A flat, or low deep cycle battery has always been a real sod to charge, and a lot has already been written on this forum about that. A lot of us have personal experience of this, school fees, the same as you are experiencing now. A Smartpass is not going to solve this problem either. You need an elevated charge voltage that only a DC-DC charger such as the D250S or WRND can provide. Even then a typical deep cycle battery will charge exactly the way you have already experienced. They need time and that is what really bothers you.

A Smartpass would be useful when dealing with partially charged batteries of say 50% and higher. You should use batteries that are known to be capable of absorbing a fast charge. AGM, lead crystal and some (usually expensive) others come to mind. Gel may work, but with gel batteries you absolutely must stay within the manufacturer's charge current limits, or that gel battery will be useless real soon. Temperature monitoring of utility batteries under charge is good practice, and it should never be seen as an obstacle to fast charging. It can save your battery. It is just not always possible to have your goods the way you want it. You have to allow for the limitations of your charging system, and batteries feature high on the list.

If you want fast charging and you are prepared to pay more, do away with lead batteries altogether. Get lithium. They will last longer, can deliver serious current, are a lot lighter and smaller for the same capacity, and they don't degenerate like lead batteries do when stored in a low state of charge.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

What's working perfectly?..
    Smartpass is not kicking out.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

Heya chaps.

So I wired up the 250 + smartpass and all good.

I then installed my victron BMV602 monitor but can't get it to work. Shows voltage, but no charge in and out..

I guess it's the position of the shunt that's giving issues or that connection of the negative from the 250 to the smartpass..

Has anyone installed a ctek250, smartpass and a victron monitor?

If need be, I'll draw up a wiring diagram if someone can help?

Wiring diagram please.

Is the shunt on the negative pole of the battery.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Heya chaps.

Has anyone installed a ctek250, smartpass and a victron monitor?
    Yes, but using 702. Shunt is on the Aux batt neg. Important, there should be nothing else on the aux batt - pole than the cable going to the shunt. All other - connections must be on the other side of the shunt.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

What about that 'built in' wire from the smart pass that needs to go to negative?

Sorry fluffy.. Trying to get the wire diagram done but looks like a big gamorse.

Dont have a Smartpass, but use a HCDP 30A charger which does exactly the above.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Nissan Kingcab 2007 4x4
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

What about that 'built in' wire from the smart pass that needs to go to negative?

Sorry fluffy.. Trying to get the wire diagram done but looks like a big gamorse.
    All goes to the “other side” of the shunt. Only cable to aux batt - is the shunt cable.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

Hi guys.

Please find attached drawing.

Sorry for the skills..
    Thanks in advance

You have to remove the fridge and solar - cables from the aux - pole and move them to the shunt input otherwise you will not get a amp reading.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

Test this by removing the solar and fridge - wires from the aux batt (don’t connect it to the shunt yet), make sure there is no other cable, besides the shunt cable, connected to the aux - pole and then start the vehicle to see if you get any amp reading.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

Thanks I will try and let you know

Something looks horribly wrong with that connection diagram. It cant work the way it is.

I am having a look into it.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Im also missing the wire between your main batt - and 250, see picture.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

It is critical that you isolate the aux batt - to force any current to go through the shunt as any device, eg fridge, can get its earth through the body, bypassing the shunt and therefore it will not give a reading. As I said, easy test will be to disconnect the fridge - and solar -, ensure you have the main batt - to 250 - cable connected, and Im sure you will see results.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast