When to replace your tyres.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When to replace your tyres.

Often I come across posts and comments about when tyres should be replaced. Many of the comments are along the line of "I've been towing caravans for 20 years so I know when to replace the tyres. Change the tyres every 5 years" OR "Throw them away after 5 years". This advice is in most cases given without any substantiation or basis.

It is always best to trust the experts, who in this case would be the manufacturers of tyres and not the sales guys at the retail outlets. And the manufacturers say maximum 10 years irrespective of how good a tyre looks BUT this comes with a proviso: 'When older than 5years check and inspect regularly (by a professional)'.
    So, what is a professional? There is no training course leading to certification as a Tyre Pro. All they do is look for previous puncture repairs, delamination, cracks, tears, bulging and sufficient tread. Then comes the diagnosis: 'Looks good, but its better to play it safe. Buy 2 new ones now and replace the other 2 later' (This is from personal experience). If your eyes are still in working order and you can read this post, you can do the inspection yourself.

The substantiation:

https://www.continental-tyres.co.za/...wledge/lex-1-2
    http://www.dunloptyres.co.za/Tyre-Ca...nge-Your-Tyres
    http://www.michelin.co.za/ZA/en/help...new-tyres.html
    Last edited by Bullterrier; 2018/02/15 at 01:40 PM.

Default Re: When to replace your tyres.

Reading from your Conti source:
    "We recommend: All tyres (including spare tyres) that were manufactured more than ten years ago should be replaced with new tyres, even if they appear to be usable from their external appearance and if the tread depth may have not reached the minimum wear out depth."

When there is ample tread left on the tyres in question, I would add to the above that you should also take into account how the tyre spent its life when not in service. Outside in the daily sun, or in permanent shade? And did you move the tyre occasionally to prevent spots of flattening?

The answers to these would guide you to maybe reduce the 10 year recommendation or maybe even to extend it a little.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Easiest way to tell the legality of the tyre is this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TWI.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	477686

It is either a triangle, or the initials (TWI, Tyre Wear Indicator) or a small logo of the tyre make. It is a rib than runs across the tread of the tyre. As soon as it is level with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TWI2.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	477687

It is illegal.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Nitebob, I think the OP was referring to the (voluntary) replacement of tyres that are still well within legal wear limits, but getting old and maybe dangerous because of it.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post

When there is ample tread left on the tyres in question, I would add to the above that you should also take into account how the tyre spent its life when not in service. Outside in the daily sun, or in permanent shade? And did you move the tyre occasionally to prevent spots of flattening?

The answers to these would guide you to maybe reduce the 10 year recommendation or maybe even to extend it a little.
    You've hit the nail on the head.
    It is all about the care taken w.r.t. tyre maintenance.

I went to Hi-Q today to change the trailer tyres because they had been on there since forever. The one tyre has a date stamp 0904 on it. The other tyre has no date stamp on. The spare was a retread. The guy checked the tyres out and said replace the spare, you left it flat to long and the wall is damaged. He showed me where it was badly cracked, and I agreed to the replacement. Don't like retreads much although they have served me well previously. The trailer gvm is 560kg and is a 1976 model Venter. I use the trailer very very little and the Hi-Q guy said it is not worth replacing the tyres in such good condition on a trailer of so little value.

(One tyre cost me R603. The trailer cost R270 originally to buy)

Money very well spent....never understand people trying to convince others to put their families lives at risk by saving a Ront or two...
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Money very well spent....never understand people trying to convince others to put their families lives at risk by saving a Ront or two...
    I assume the post is in response to the one about the trailer above. Read it again!
    Chris only replaced the one tyre that was clearly in poor condition. Of the two that he kept, one is 14 years old and the other has no date stamp which may indicate that it is antique. Personally, I would have changed the other two as well.

Misrepresenting an idea to prove your own point ?

Tyre technology and material research have improved greatly over the years and the use of polymers has improved the expected lifespan of tyres. So, you will have to prove that Michelin, Dunlop and Continental are wrong to prove your point.

You now have an opportunity to put your 'Ront or two' where your mouth is!

Question Re: When to replace your tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullterrier View Post
    I assume the post is in response to the one about the trailer above. Read it again!
    Chris only replaced the one tyre that was clearly in poor condition. Of the two that he kept, one is 14 years old and the other has no date stamp which may indicate that it is antique. Personally, I would have changed the other two as well.

Misrepresenting an idea to prove your own point ?

Tyre technology and material research have improved greatly over the years and the use of polymers has improved the expected lifespan of tyres. So, you will have to prove that Michelin, Dunlop and Continental are wrong to prove your point.

You now have an opportunity to put your 'Ront or two' where your mouth is!
    Might it not perhaps make more sense, on a trailer used as seldom as the one in ChrisG's case, to replace the tyres more often, but with budget-priced retreads? A modern-day retread, as I understand it, is basically a wholly new tyre on an old casing.
    There is only one...

Quote Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
    Might it not perhaps make more sense, on a trailer used as seldom as the one in ChrisG's case, to replace the tyres more often, but with budget-priced retreads? A modern-day retread, as I understand it, is basically a wholly new tyre on an old casing.
    Never thought of it, makes sense 100% IF the old casing is not older than approx. 3years because rubber degradation affects the old casing as well.
    Last edited by Bullterrier; 2018/02/16 at 11:11 AM.

Here is a thought I have not seen mentioned here: What about the guy that puts non commercial tyres on a vehicle that requires them. ie tyres not designed to carry the weight of the vehicle. I think to do something like that is worse than running an older tyre that is designed for the vehicles weight

How about this one... sometimes tyres are stored for up to 3 years before they are put on vehicles. So does that mean I only have 7 years. Or does it start from the time the tyre was fitted to the vehicle

May I give a little example of practical experience in tire age.

On the moment, I have 4 Firestone Destination AT 4x4 tyres in 245/70 R16 under my Hilux. Tree (3) of them is now about two years old.

Now the fourth one was the spare wheel tire from my previous vehicle but never touched the ground and was checked for correct pressure on a regular basis. It is now 7 years old.
    This tire shows substantial more wear than the newer ones in so far that I am expecting to get 10 000 km less on the older tyre.

The older tire has also chipped around the edges, so devenately showing some rubber degradation because of old age. But apart from that it still looks fine.

All four tyres now has done 62 000 km and I expect the three new tyres to go another 10 000 or so, while the old one is near the end of its life.

No tyre problems on any of them, what so ever, not even a slow puncture and they has been on a lot of rough off road terrain, all over S.A.
    Normally I expect about 75 000 km from this tyres.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2018/02/17 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ngweshla View Post
    How about this one... sometimes tyres are stored for up to 3 years before they are put on vehicles. So does that mean I only have 7 years. Or does it start from the time the tyre was fitted to the vehicle
    Starts from date of manufacture. So you are correct...in the example that you've mentioned only about 7 years left.

If you dont use your trailer often, take the wheels off and store them in black refuse bags in a cool dark place like your garage. Sunlight are bad for rubber that just stands and doenst get used. It looses flexability Also that would prevent sidewall cracks forming as a result of the weight of the trailer on one place of the stationary tyre, and drying out from the heat and sunlight. Rubber ages well when it matures on a dark cool place. I drop the trailer in front to its lowest, put teo tressles in at the back and adjust the hight to touch the trailer st the back. Then I mearly lift the front and tighten the jockey wheel. Then i can easily remove and put back the wheels. A third tressle in the front would be the safest.
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2018/02/18 at 03:19 PM.

If you store your tailer with the weight off of the axle or rather (bearings) it is also good for the bearings life. Turn your bearing hubs every saturday for a few turns when you are outside cleaning the garden. I park my trailer on the jockey wheel and two tressles at the two rear corners. Same with the Rubberduck, who only gets used Decembers in the Cape
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2018/02/18 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Here is a thought I have not seen mentioned here: What about the guy that puts non commercial tyres on a vehicle that requires them. ie tyres not designed to carry the weight of the vehicle. I think to do something like that is worse than running an older tyre that is designed for the vehicles weight
    This is a major problem.

My van, the Ford Tourneo Custom lends itself very well to "fixing" and "looking good"

I have seen some really stunning examples with fancy mags and tyres.

At my last tyre change, I thought what the heck, I'm in for 4 tyres, may as well add a set of decent rims and wider lower profiles.

And then reality hit. It uses expensive and tough commercials, running at 3.5 BAR min. So a heavy van with a legal payload of 1.5T just ain't gonna work with a pretty set of sedan wheels.

Tyres that look pretty and designed for performance just aren't available in the size and performance class I need.

Some people just don't care, or possibly don't know.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Go and check the relevant SABS codes ......

For your vehicle to be legally used on a public road it must be roadworthy and that means that amongst a whole host of other requirements, the load and speed ratings of the tyres must be higher than what the vehicle is capable of.

Johan 8)
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

To the guys who says one HAS TO replace tyres after 5 years (and I was one of them):

Yes, it is good and fair to say that the life expectancy was 5 years. It was what manufacturers recommended in the past, and what their tyre design parameters were. But remember that this cannot be seen in isolation, without taking its load and speed ratings into account.

Its speed and load rating rating indicates that the tyre must be able to withstand the forces put on it when the tyre is driven at its given speed rating, at its maximum load rating constantly for ONE HOUR. That is what they must be able to prove to regulators and that is why they recommend the 5 year limits. Manufacturers over-engineer tyres to achieve this. Same as the fact that structural engineers overdesign floors on buildings to be able to guarantee a certain load rating on the floor.

But who of us use those offroad tyres on our vehicles at a load (of say 1000kg per tyre) and travel at the tyre's 180 kph rating (for an S rated tyre) for a period of more than one hour continuously? NOBODY DOES!!!

That, and the advances made with rubber compounds and casing design, is why they are now able to say that tyres can be expected to be used for up to ten years, if inspected regularly for casing and rubber condition and if there is sufficient tread depth left.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Hi Guys,

Thought this thread is the right one to also add my experiences with tyres.

I have currently done just under 150,000 km with one set of tyres (the original Bridgestone Duelers fitted on a 2012 Toyota Fortuner) and they still haven't reached the tyre wear indicator. I reckon I can still do another 20k to 30k before they will reach the tyre wear indicator. The tyre's manufacture date was in 2012, so currently around 6 years old.

I would say the Duelers are still in quite good condition with no major damages to the structure of the tyre.

I am surprised myself to get this high mileage on one set of tyres and can only think the following factors had an influence on this:

1. I rotate the tyres every 10,000km.
    2. When I rotate I include the spare tyre in the sequence. In other words 5 tyres should wear out slower than 4 tyres (if you didn't include the spare).
    3. I accelerate and brake quite gentle.
    4. My Fortuner is a the 4x4 (AWD), in other words traction is distributed more evenly over 4 wheels vs 2WD (only 2 wheels has traction).
    5. When I pick up any vibrations I will do a wheel balance.
    6. When I bought the car 2nd hand in 2014 it had only 6000 km on the clock. The 1st owner didn't drive a lot so the tyres maybe had time to 'mature' early on?? I have heard some people talk about this 'maturing', but not totally sure how true it is.

I don't:
    1. Only drive on tar roads. I would say about 10 - 20% is gravel roads including a Lesotho 4x4 trip.
    2. Only drive long distance roads. Daily commute between Pretoria and Johannesburg and quite a bit of long distances throughout the year (holidays and visiting clients all over the northern parts of the country, including gravel raods)
    3. Do wheel alignment often, maybe once since I bought the car in 2014.
    4. Drive slow. I often go a bit over the speed limit.

It would be interesting to hear if anybody else have done this high mileage on one set of tyres, and if my assumptions are correct? Or am I pushing the limits with regards to tyre safety?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast