Photo books for kids

Default Photo books for kids

Hi All, My grand child, 13 years old, wants to take up photography.
    Problem is, where do I get Afrikaans books that can teach him the basics on cameras and where to start.
    Would there be any basic training of any kind available in Centurion or Pretoria area.?
    Thanks

Default Re: Photo books for kids

May I suggest you visit your local photography clubs - http://www.pssa.co.za/

Speak to the people at your local club. They will know if the following exists in your area:

- Peter Haarhof does classes for kids in the Southern Cape, sure there must be something similar in your area

- does the club present courses ? Our local club has one skills evening per month, and also informs the members of courses in the area

WEG tydskrif had a special edition a few years back about photogrpahy. Would be ideal if she could start reading this (the magazine was available in both English and an Afrikaans version)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisF For This Useful Post:

If I may add my 2.5c

If you are looking for an afrikaans teacher - there is one in centurion which I highly recommend. And he gives ongoing support, as well as do outings with his students just for fun. Simon Du Plessis - he is also a moderator on Outdoorphoto, will give comment and crit on the forums on photos posted, (the kid can join for free) which is unbelievably helpful. This is where a huge amount of current up and coming photographers started off and learned.
    FB page https://www.facebook.com/simon.duplessis.79
    FB photo page https://www.facebook.com/Actionimage...974/?pnref=lhc
    email [email protected]

Regards Afrikaans photography books - I would suggest an english book - all the terminology used on the web - is in english. Spoken language on local Forums - 99% English. Overseas forums - ENGLISH!
    Nothing stops your grandchild also learning the afrikaans terms - but he /she wont get far asking questions on forums using afrikaans words - things like OOF, DOF, BIF, SS etc is not just translatable in the best of company
    Prado 2011

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post

Regards Afrikaans photography books - I would suggest an english book - all the terminology used on the web - is in english. Spoken language on local Forums - 99% English. Overseas forums - ENGLISH!
    Nothing stops your grandchild also learning the afrikaans terms - but he /she wont get far asking questions on forums using afrikaans words - things like OOF, DOF, BIF, SS etc is not just translatable in the best of company

True. Do not underestimate a 13 year old's ability to understand and learn from the English text books. Most of them master a mobile smart phone in detail within minutes after they had a look at the manual (English).
    Hermanator

Herman Smit

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermanator For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    If I may add my 2.5c

If you are looking for an afrikaans teacher - there is one in centurion which I highly recommend. And he gives ongoing support, as well as do outings with his students just for fun. Simon Du Plessis - he is also a moderator on Outdoorphoto, will give comment and crit on the forums on photos posted, (the kid can join for free) which is unbelievably helpful. This is where a huge amount of current up and coming photographers started off and learned.
    FB page https://www.facebook.com/simon.duplessis.79
    FB photo page https://www.facebook.com/Actionimage...974/?pnref=lhc
    email [email protected]

Well said and amen. English terminology the way to go. If you have to get afrikaans instructor but bet your best dollar he will be still be taught the english terms anyway.
    PM me adress i have a few books that might help an aspiring photographer.
    O▮▮▮▮▮O

HoŽrskool Zwartkops have a photography club that meets 14:15 on Wednesdays at the school, it is presented / facilitated by
    http://www.futurephotographerz.com who also have other courses for kids and adults.
    Neil

10. The Following User Says Thank You to neoT For This Useful Post:

A really great book for photography newbies is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.
    The latest version is the 4th edition.
    There is even a Kindle version on offer!

Yes, it is in English, but the terminology, while correct, and writing style, is tailor-made for kids.
    With this book, and the immediate feedback environment that digital photography offers, very rapid progress in understanding the fundamentals of photography will be possible.
    As already mentioned the great thing about kids is that complicated electronic devices, like smartphones or digital cameras, in general, intimidate them not at all!
    Once they grasp the fundamentals they will be away...

In terms of good photography books it is also fairly cheap and is also full of large stunning images that well demonstrate the principles at hand.
    Unless you yourself are already a consummate photographer yourself, you, yourself, will find plenty of easily understandable lessons to be learnt.

Bryan Peterson - highly recommended!