Malawi travel

Thread: Malawi travel

Default Malawi travel

I dont see any travel advice on Malawi on this forum. We are planning a trip there this winter: in from Moz and out to Zam.

Would anyone share experiences of the things that are not in the travel guides? Borders posts, road blocks, security, camping, food availability, etc.

Thanks
    Stalmaat

We are hoping to travel through Malawi in 2010 during our next adventure so would also be very pleased to have the information.
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by stalmaat View Post
    Would anyone share experiences of the things that are not in the travel guides? Borders posts, road blocks, security, camping, food availability, etc.
    Thanks
    Stalmaat
    I can't help with much up to date information, but what I can say is that Malawi is a marvellous place to travel, with very friendly people, and that food isn't going to be any sort of problem. There were no road blocks when we were there.

If you are camping on the shores of the Lake, you don't even need bother going to see the fishermen when the boats come in......they will come to you with their prize catches. They will also skin and gut the fish for you for peanuts. In the meantime, there will be fruit sellers wandering around with overflowing baskets....but best of all, they had, when we were there, a local speciality: banana cake. Women wandered around with this all the time. Delicious!!! If you buy one day, you can be absolutely certain that they will be back again the following day to try again! We certainly left Malawi a pound or two heavier than when we arrived!!

BTW, we free camped the whole of the way through Malawi. I wonder if that would still be possible today? I somehow doubt it......and it is such a pity about Bilharzia in the Lake. You will probably also get offered a chance to go out and feed some fish eagles.......a great chance to take wonderful close-up (8 or 10 metres away) action shots of the birds plucking fish out of the water (if you are brave enough to take that expensive camera out in a small boat!!)

Mike

In 2008 the roads ranged from fair to fairly good and nothing particularly bad comes to mind. Some of the roads still have wooden bridges, which was a bit scary at first until we saw large trucks going over them.

There are plenty lodges along the lake and their prices are more than reasonable. We (2 people) stayed at one place for 2 nights in a little hut with all meals, drinks, laundry etc included for US$98.

Food is freely available. We found Shoprite / Trade Centre supermarkets in the big towns stocked like in SA. Nothing beats eating a hot bread with butter and cheese next to the lake! I didn't enjoy the local softdrinks so we got Cola in the 500ml plastic bottles bottled in SA and stocked up on those.

We found the small Liwonde National Park a real treat. The Mvu (hippo) camp is a jewel!

Officials at the road blocks were always courteous and friendly. The border posts are like, well all border posts in Africa I guess. You will be harassed and they will try to get as much money as possible out of you. They soon get tired when you refuse all bribery attempts.

PM me if you require more specific info.

ENJOY!!
    Rampie
    No Land Rover - Soon to change though

Malawi is a gem. Top of my hit list would be, on the lake: Cape Maclear, NKhata Bay, boat trip to and a couple of nights on Likoma Island. Inland, Mulanje Massif for stunning hiking, but be very wary of the extreme weather changes; the Zomba Plateau, the Nyika Plateau (worth several days) and Livingstonia, especially the drive down to the lake - count the hairpin bends. Liwonde is also stunning - a boat drive on the river makes for great game viewing and birding. I would give Kasungu National Park a miss - I did some work there a couple of years ago and the bush is very dense and the game numbers very low.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

What is the weather like in December in Malawi?
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

i was there in December 2006. During the 15 days iit rained 12 days and some of those days really heavy. Got stuck at monkey bay / cape Maclear as the river got flooded and we couldn't get out (3 days stranded).

The further up we went the worse it seemed to get.

If you haven't fixed it with duct tape you haven't used enough!

Vehicle details: OME suspension kit 400kg, long rank tank 150lt, 70lt water tank, drawer system, duel battery, snorkel, roof top tent, roof rack, fitting air compressor, double spare wheel carrier, sand tracks, NL 70lt

In December the weather can be just about anything you want it to be. For 40 plus degrees heat the Shire river valley is the place. For a more mild 30 degrees the lakeshore is the place and if you would like sub-zero night temperatures the Nyika plateau will do it. It will be the rainy season but not its peak. We spent 3 weeks there during December and had the odd shower every few days.

Liwonde is well worth a visit.

A tip on the roads - watch out for Air Malawi landing one of its 50 seater turbo props on a public road instead of on the airport runway. A couple of years ago in Mzuzu we came across one of their planes that had landed on the main road running parallel with the runway, about 100 metres from it, and then turned into someone's front garden. The locals ascribed the mishap to the fact that it was late in the evening on Christmas eve...

im also planning a trip to malawi this december through zim moz and into malawi,i heard the people are very nice and things are very cheap.im not going further up north staying between mangochi salima etc.i hear the fish they have is devine.i hope the roads are good though it is a poor country but rapidly developing.i also would like to know more about the entry border fom moz into malawi (mwanza border) i think its called.

im leaving mid december so if there is any other info i have i will post it,also i started a thread in the zimbabwe section abouth the route im taking and any more info would be nice.

I've been there with a group of young(er) people in November 89 with a 2x4 Isuzu, a Corolla and a Passat. It was dry, very hot and we managed to reach all the tourist spots.

Then again in 1997 with two 2x4 Isuzus in January and we had lots of rain - got stuck a few times, but nothing serious! We only had one very hot day. We had a few (cheap) tents ruined by the sudden tropical storms that all of a sudden appear out of the blue!

The country is friendly and we felt safe at all times. Hopefully I can take my family there during the world cup next year!

Bostoe

Default Malawi

Done 2 weeks south to north in Malawi June 2007....entered from Zabm..Chipata--Mchinji border...Zomba nice...Liwonde NP a must!!!....Camping at Chembe Eagles Nest at Cape Maclear a must!!...The Steps at Senga Bay beautiful....Makuzi Beach wonderful....Nyika a must !!!
    Vwaza Wildlife Park No no ...Leaving for Tanz at Kyela....Bought map in Malawi with good information...