KZN 4x4 Guide Training now ON! Book!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up KZN 4x4 Guide Training now ON! Book!!!!!

GET QUALIFIED, GET LEGAL! YOUR PREVIOUS INTEREST REFERS. RSVP TO THIS EMAIL FOR DEFINITE BOOKING & PAYMENT AS PER DETAIL HEREIN! PRESENTED BY THE MASAZANE EXPEDITIONS AND ORGANISED BY THE NORTHERN CHAPTER OF THE 4WD GUIDES ASSOCIATION in SA IN THE INTEREST OF QUALIFYING GUIDES IN KZN and STARTING A 4WD GUIDES CHAPTER IN THE REGION

THIS IS THE FINAL CALL FOR THIS COURSE. MINIMUM 6 ATTENDEES REQUIRED.

Course: 4x4 TRAIL & OVERLAND TOUR GUIDES COURSE
    Date:Wednesday 4 February 2009 @ 7pm (registration) till Sunday 08 February 2009 @ +/- 12 noon
    Time: See Above
    Tutor: Dave van Graan from Masazane Expedition
    Area: High Stakes, 2 Killarney Valley, Cato Ridge, Kwazulu-Natal (www.highstakes.co.za)

Accommodation: You will camp for the complete course, and will be dealt into teams for cooking responsibilities. 3 meals a day included. Bring own soft & hard drinks and cooldrink etc. Those who want to stay at home, so be it – just inform Dave at registration – this arrangement illicits NO discount, as we have to pay per head for venue, travel costs, catering equipment etc. There will be modern ablutions and electricity, and lectures in a lecture environment. Cash bar on site.
    Bring: Be self sufficient for camping over this period, chairs, table, tent, bed / bedding etc.

RSVP: Monday 26 January 2009
    Cost: R3800 per person attending
    Payment: Full payment by Wednesday 28 January 2008.
    Bank account will be advised

MORE DETAIL WILL BE PROVIDED ON BOOKING CONFIRMATION!

Alan Goodway (GP 1796)
    Registered DEAT Cultural Tourist Guide - National
    Professional 4x4 Trail & Overland Guide - National
    Accredited Outcomes Based Training Assessor
    Northern Region Coordinator - 4 Wheel Drive Guides Association SA
    Owner - 4x4 Offroad Adventure Club Gauteng

[email protected]
    Last edited by Dirk; 2009/01/23 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Formatting

Common guys, still space left...sell that gym equipment you never use & get involved.
    Mike

I'd love to, but would have to sell the Rangy.
    '79 Range Rover classic.

Now sadly sold.
    88" series 3"Littlemule"my first diesel.No more Landys, all sold

Had it been a week later then I would have made. But alas am still travelling back then.
    "They do come True"
    75 CJ5 350 Chev Motor 33's 4" lift.
    The op is nearly finished
    96 Disco 1 V8
    "I am UNASHAMEDLY ETHICAL!!"

Course complete. Finished a day early, only 3 of us attended...

*EDIT* waiting for some feeback & answers before (if) I make further comment...
    Last edited by Maml; 2009/02/11 at 10:25 AM.
    Mike

and, how was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre K-ZN View Post
    and, how was it?

@ that price, it must have been awesome.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by black 90 View Post
    Course complete. Finished a day early, only 3 of us attended...

*EDIT* waiting for some feeback & answers before (if) I make further comment...
    Are you qualified guides now

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    Are you qualified guides now
    Not yet, have to submit an assignment and some other paperwork...then it gets marked etc & we get registered.
    Mike

Love to hear about it, Mike. Maybe over a cup of coffee in the Malutis sometime (soon!)

Beans Guest

Tell me is this an open book exam. I notice a min of 6 but only 3 attended?

Please give us some feed back

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Tell me is this an open book exam. I notice a min of 6 but only 3 attended?
    Please give us some feed back
    No, it wasn't an open book exam...that said; the average mark was 95%.

I'm not fantastically keen to give my honest opinion, but will give out some facts (I arrived on the Thursday morning, so missed the intro on Wed eve).

-Course started at about 8am, finishing on Thursday at 14h30, Friday at 16h00 and Saturday at 12h00.
    -The content was focussed on the questions in the exam.
    -The presenter has 'heap 'em tons' of experience, but didn't stick to SAQA requirements as far as course layout, content & presentation goes.
    -No practical elements were presented (out of class-environment that is), although the manual has some great oportunities for practical demonstrations...
    -The course finished early, by about a day (okay, so there was only half the turnout - but we paid for 3 meals & one night's camping - neither of which happened!).
    -There is only 1 company who can do this course within the legal framework at the moment, so those who want to guide 'legally' at present have little option.
    -The exam is on the last day; and takes between 2 and 3hrs. Each candidate marks anothers paper, with all of the papers being moderated at a later stage by the course presenter.
    -Assignments are due asap, then the registration process gets finalised & one can then guide legally (in my understanding).

IMHO, if you can wait for more presenters to become legal & available, then do so.

To be fair, maybe Alan can give us some feedback on my 'legal presenter status' comment?
    Mike

I'm not fantastically keen to give my honest opinion
    IMHO, if you can wait for more presenters to become legal & available, then do so.
    If I read between the lines I get the impression that you'd rather have your R3,800 back.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    If I read between the lines I get the impression that you'd rather have your R3,800 back.
    Not rather have it back - I will make the most of it & hopefully the knowledge that I picked up will help in the future.

I just thought that I'd maybe share some facts...seeing as there are more people on this forum that are thinking along the lines of doing this course & getting into guiding.

...also, 2 of the 3 participants are from this forum, so imo some feedback is due.
    Mike

Beans Guest

So at the end of the day from what i can make out is that no practical work was done, only the paper work. Cool now on paper how do you recover a vehicle?? if you were not shown. Oops only a question.
    Last edited by Beans; 2009/02/24 at 08:06 PM.

Extremely sad state of affairs. !!!!

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Beans Guest

I hope it is not the standard as i deal with the safety act every day and at least there are standards. Ian the same applies in your industry standards??

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    So at the end of the day from what i can make out is that no practical work was done, only the paper work. Cool now on paper how do you recover a vehicle?? if you were not shown. Oops only a question.
    The course was not a 4x4 driving course, and part of the requirements were that participants should already have done levels 1 & 2 with a well known 4x4 training institution...level 2 would have included recovery.

As far as std's go...they're working on it - like any industry trying to bring everyone onto the same 'playing field'...Beans, you should know that with all the new laws being passed it's not an easy process - Take the amended Construction Regs, supposed to have been passed last year already...don't get me started on the Plant Hire training side!
    Mike

Beans Guest

The course was not a 4x4 driving course, and part of the requirements were that participants should already have done levels 1 & 2 with a well known 4x4 training institution...level 2 would have included recovery.

So i assume i cannot attend as i have not attended any training course. Maybe is should learn to drive first. Good point

Smile 4x4 Guide Training

Hi all readers;

The nuances from the KZN group does not need further lively debate. It has been documented, forwarded to the 4WDGA and is being attended to as I speak.

The state of affairs in SA at this stage, factually, is as follows:

1. A company, Masazane Expeditions, developed the first guide training curriculum in SA many years ago.
    2. They applied to DEAT for certification, but due to the whole SAQA / Unit Standards issue et al evolving, they were not granted an official 'qualification againts a Unit Standard' status (there was none), but given a reprieve to present the training, evaluation, assessement and qualification grant, by DEAT as a temporary measure, for a defined period of time. However, they are the only company with the documentation, training material and acceptance from DEAT when handing in the students registration, based on their assessment, documentation and certificates etc. they have developed. A captured market as such.
    3. This allowed people to be trained, and be certified and receive your Tour Guide Badge, for 4x4 Trail guide, under this 'concession' granted
    4. Reality is, this period has expired, but WCTourism and GTourism accept the final 'pass' from Masazane, and will issue DEAT badges, as the industry, under the NOW initiative, is busy self regulating and there is acceptance of change in the future, and development of the US etc.
    5. The 4WDGA was formed under the NOW initiative, and has as its priority, the Unit Standard for 4x4 Guides. We have progressed far in the development thereof.
    6. However, another body in the Western Cape has developed a substantial US draft, which has been exposed to us, and we are willing to accept it at this stage with some riders/changes. We, as the 4WDGA, want more than just guiding modules herein. We seek recovery, navigation, first aid and a few other sub modules, to make it a well accredited qualification. This is all in progress with sincere haste etc., so as to come out with a decent US, acceptable to the industry.
    7. Thereafter, once the US standard is published and accepted for its time period in the industry, ANY service provider / registered training provider can develop the curriculum, training material, assessment guides, QMS process and all the horrible admin things that go with SAQA training today. So, we will see the rise of a few companies who will offer the new course, commercially and competitively, in the market.
    8. My opinion, based on costs and efforts, that such training will be more comprehensive, more professional and more available....but MORE EXPENSIVE
    9. The 4WDGA at the moment is trying to grow its presence, as it is part (significant) of the self regulatory mechanisms coming in the future. However, all current 'badged' guides, will HAVE TO follow the RPL process (recognition of Prior Learning) to gain accreditation under the new framework. It will NOT BE automatic. This means, documenting experience and trips et al completed...and not one, probably quiet a significant portfolio (as I did under my Cultural Guide qualification across ALL 9 provinces - a serious volume of trips, photographs, client details, proof of financial transactions etc .). So, those who have badges and basically do nothing, will not necessarily qualify, and will have to do the full course again. The 4WDGA is busy compiling a Trip Record Book, for guides to use, to assist in building their portfolio. This will only be available to 4WDGA members who are 'legal' with DEAT and paid up members.
    10. Hence, we are trying (which seems to be a double edge sword), to use the current mechanism to get guides legal (as the current state of affairs stand), to get them mustered under the 4WDGA (as we have a lot to consolidate and bring to the table as a single unit representing guides etc.), and thus promote legalising guides currently in the market.
    11. You do not NEED a Level 1 or Level 2 Driver Certificate or a 1st Aid Course level 1, to attend the course - you DO NEED IT to finally be registered, after assignments and passmark is evaluated. it forms part of the Tourism registration process.

So, a mouthful indeed. We are currently sitting with 1 vendor to deliver this, and have differing experiences per region. But I am trying to stay positive about it. There is a lot of value in the current material, and yes it can be expanded per situation. Courses held in other region ALWAYS bring in other speakers / demonstration on Survival Kits, Serious recovery, GPS & Navigation and other topics.

KZN, based on availability of resources, 3 students and a round trip by Masazane's trainer from CPT to PE to DBN to train, did not necessarily create the opportunity to present it like this, apart from my opening line's remarks.

I hope this puts things in a positive and informative light and will gladly try and answer any other procedural questions. I have a host of people in Gauteng wanting to train, and will be looking at setting something up in Pretoria/Midrand area soonest.

Iam of the opinion, that maybe a 4WDGA committee member attends all courses presented under the current dispensation, so that we ensure a standard we as an association is happy with. But that is all being discussed / contemplated at the moment. However, this has its own logistical nightmare, as most of you know, MOST qualified guides in SA are normal working people, and not full time professionals. Time and money becomes an issue.

Change is evident in SA, lets support the initiatives as we move forward to a positive 4x4 experience in SA....

Kind Regards
    Alan Goodway
    Chairman - Northern Chapter
    4WDGA South Africa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast