Importance of trailer nose weight

View Poll Results: How important do you think is trailer nose weight when towing

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Important and would spend money on a product to easily determine the hitch weight

22 44.00%
  • Important but would just guess/feel it

28 56.00%
  • Not all that important, don't worry too much

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Importance of trailer nose weight

Just want to get an idea of what people think. Call it market research.

For me it's quite important to get the trailer nose weight right on any trailer as it will impact the handling of the vehicle as well as the overall stability of the combination. But I'm not going to get a bathroom scale and rig some setup to try and weigh it, it takes a lot of time and a bit unpractical to do it when loading something somewhere. So I rather feel it, or try to judge it, which is most of the time very inaccurate I would think.

Have heard about a few accidents where people passed away where the most probable explanation for the accident was wrong weight distribution on the trailer, especially double axles.

It should also make a big difference to the 4x4 capabilities of the combination (vehicle and trailer) when overlanding or 4x4ing.

Question is, will people be prepared to buy a product that will allow them to easily check their trailer hitch weight?

Default Re: Importance of trailer nose weight

I knew a guy who used to weigh his caravan hitch with an old bathroom scale. He just put the jockey wheel on it. He packed his caravan so that the hitch was 60kg.

I would find a scale to weigh the trailer nose very handy, as I can't "test" the weight by hand due to a back operation.
    Jacques

05 VW R5 Touareg
    03 VW Jetta TDi (platkar)

Having towed racing cars around the country on both double and single axle trailers, I'll vouch for the importance of getting the balance correct on the trailer. On the single axle trailer with a relatively light car I set up wheel-stops on the trailer so the car was always in the correct position. I spent a lot of time setting the position up with a hitch weight of 60 to 70 kg. The double axle trailer with a 1.1 tone Porsche on it was a different monster all together. I started by getting the trailer level with the car loaded so that both axles carried the same load. Got this done with load-cells used for doing corner weights on race cars. I then played with the tow-hitch height to get a positive load of about 60 kg.
    Both these methods are unrealistic for a trailer that carries different loads at different times. With a camping trailer or caravan you can work out specific places for things to be loaded every time and get your balance very close each time it's packed.
    If there was something available on the market that is portable and doesn't cost too much to achieve the correct balance, I will be interested in getting one.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Like This

Quote Originally Posted by JacBrand View Post
    I knew a guy who used to weigh his caravan hitch with an old bathroom scale. He just put the jockey wheel on it. He packed his caravan so that the hitch was 60kg.

I would find a scale to weigh the trailer nose very handy, as I can't "test" the weight by hand due to a back operation.
    The problem with the jockey wheel is that it's not the real weight you get on your towball...

Depending on the difference in distance between the hitch and axle and the jockey wheel and axle you'll always have a lower weight on the towball. so the jockey wheel weight should be multiplied by the Jockey to axle distance, and that result should be devided by the hitch to axle distance...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post:

This one is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSSELL View Post

Like This

Problem is this thing is not stable and not height adjustable. and the height makes a huge difference when towing double axle trailers. The heavier the weight the deeper this thing will push in. Ideally you want something that you can set the exact height . So that when you are loaded you can set the "scale" to more or less the same height as the tow bar when the trailer is hooked. That way you'll get a precise reading with no guessing.
    Last edited by WillemT; 2018/02/08 at 02:11 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post:

This one is interesting.

Indeed!
    But only usable on on selected vehicles. But on the vehicles that it fits it will work very nice!!

This one is interesting.

This will work very well for setting up with a double axle trailer. You can use a spirit level to ensure the load is evenly distributed on both axles as long as the trailer is on level ground.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

This one is interesting.

Those are quite common in the USA where over-lifted vehicles need to tow trailers frequently. On a normal overland/4x4 vehicle with a caravan/trailer, this would severely limit the departure angle of the vehicle. Most folks aim to steer clear of tow hitches like this if they have off-road plans.

My only real concern with the above design is that it is not gusseted from behind. The lower the tow ball is positioned, the more like a lever it will act. Repeated forward bumps or hard pulls could crack/damage the tow hitch.
    David Killough
    2016 Landcruiser 200 GX-R
    1995 Landcruiser (UK Spec) SOLD
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

Quote Originally Posted by WillemT View Post
    Question is, will people be prepared to buy a product that will allow them to easily check their trailer hitch weight?
    Yes.

My FIL had a scale for weight on his jockey wheel for the caravan.
    I was under the impression this is the norm?

Anyway, we recently bought a TTT, and this is now my concern to weigh the nose weight, and get even weight distribution.
    2014 GWM Steed 2.0 VGT D/C

2011 Jurgens Camplite

We usually use a heavy duty scale which we hang on some high spot as long as the hook can reach the coupler. Hook it, lift the jockey wheel...Bob's your uncle.

PS. Most draw-bars have a maximum weight limit!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31UKIx4a+eL.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	476724

Alko already makes a jockey wheel with integrated scale. You can get it from Roadque.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jockey.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	476725
    Last edited by SpiderGear; 2018/02/08 at 02:53 PM.
    Touareg V10
    KTM 1290 Super Adventure R

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderGear For This Useful Post:

There have been adverts in the SA Caravan mag selling a unit that measures the weight.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    There have been adverts in the SA Caravan mag selling a unit that measures the weight.
    Can you remember when or the name or anything?

Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

We all know that if tow hitch weight is too little or negative, the towed unit sways. Something I think that is worth mentioning is the aerodynamics of the trailer or caravan and how with tow speed, it effects tow hitch weight. What I have found is that a unit with a large profile has the wind pushing against it as the tow speed increases. The bigger the profile the bigger the problem. This can place an ever increasing amount of weight on the rear of the unit. It can reach a point where the hitch weight is far less than the rear weight and that causes serious sway.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Tow ball weight is crucial but I think that tow ball mass cannot be divorced from also having a slight caravan nose down attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Climbingnut View Post
    Those are quite common in the USA where over-lifted vehicles need to tow trailers frequently. On a normal overland/4x4 vehicle with a caravan/trailer, this would severely limit the departure angle of the vehicle. Most folks aim to steer clear of tow hitches like this if they have off-road plans.

My only real concern with the above design is that it is not gusseted from behind. The lower the tow ball is positioned, the more like a lever it will act. Repeated forward bumps or hard pulls could crack/damage the tow hitch.
    Are you supposed to use that as your towing tow ball or only for measuring the weight and then you put your standard tow ball in again?!?
    There is only one...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to stadleroux For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast