Defender New Defender price?? - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: New Defender price??

Quote Originally Posted by digibane View Post
    I think the one thing this forum as a whole keeps forgetting is that we don't live in the 80s/90s anymore. Africa and most of the world (perhaps not that top part of Russia) has been discovered and driven too. People overland because of passion or related feeling not because its needed. hiluxes, isuzu's, ford rangers and some mahindras, are doing all the work in the mines now even LC's are falling off. And cost of making cars is not cheap for the car makers thats why landrover was trying to find a suitable business reason to remake the defender. Last i heard the evoque and the disco sport was their highest sellers, not the last "REAL" defender that only sold 20 000 units per year on all the countries they were being sold at i think it was? on its last years of production.

You also have to wonder how many overlanders, extreme 4x4 guys(and gals) account for the world population and if landrover has to really make a car for them that would please them at only a 100000 of them that exist? - does not make financial sense for the business. SO best believe they will want to make a defender that is electronically capable of tackling some "rough terrain" to compete with the new G wagon and Wrangler but still be able to be bought by moms, also NCAP rated to a great degree, perhaps even with a hybrid model somewhere in the line up.

This is were the world is headed, this is were LR is headed and LCs soon, whether we like it or not, we just have to accept this.

So, those that want a car with a defender badge stuck on it as a sign of continuing with the times will buy it and those that still want defenders that can even run on diesel mixed with paraffin can still stick with their 200Tdis and that's it.
    Some young know it all wanting to dictate what us old toppies must accept? 🤣No thanx the above view is yours and not necessary one based on truth only on your opinion.

The “new” G-wagon has retained its external shape and can take a roof rack the same as the old one. New technology is great and can and must be applied to updated vehicles. Each of the major 4x4 models whether LR, Mercs, Toys or Jeep etc have their own ethos and that is want, we OT’s want (well this one at least). Must we now stop “the wave”?👋

I must say that I like the looks of the above design in Jelo’s post, can I have one. I guess we will all be surprised when the final design is announced, please LR allow for a proper roof rack set up.
    Last edited by TRON; 2018/02/12 at 07:58 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I disagree...

Not with what you are saying but your reasoning.

What you are saying is absolutely true.. that is why you have the new Discovery sport, D5, Evogue etc.

But, if you sell something as a Defender, then it must confirm to a certain ethos. It must be at least as able and as rugged...

Why do you think the value of the outgoing Defender skyrocketed? Because some people at least here in SA, the UK, and most other relatable countries, do still want a rugged workhorse..

In the UK every plot owner in the midlands and the Dales, or at least most of them, have a worker Defender at standby..
    Touché - valid point there
    2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto
    2011 Landrover Defender 110 Puma SW (sold)

Guys, we'll have to accept that the days of the rugged Defender is gone forever, just like modern tractors being used on farms have 1000% more technology than the good old Vaaljapie. Life adapts and goes on.

I know we're quite nostalgic about the old Defender and will defend its absolute necessity for mankind, but I promise you a vehicle with rounded features and airbags can carry around hay bales just as good.
    Last edited by George; 2018/02/13 at 08:03 AM.
    Some 4x4 with an offroad caravan

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by digibane View Post
    I think the one thing this forum as a whole keeps forgetting is that we don't live in the 80s/90s anymore. Africa and most of the world (perhaps not that top part of Russia) has been discovered and driven too. People overland because of passion or related feeling not because its needed. hiluxes, isuzu's, ford rangers and some mahindras, are doing all the work in the mines now even LC's are falling off. And cost of making cars is not cheap for the car makers thats why landrover was trying to find a suitable business reason to remake the defender. Last i heard the evoque and the disco sport was their highest sellers, not the last "REAL" defender that only sold 20 000 units per year on all the countries they were being sold at i think it was? on its last years of production.

You also have to wonder how many overlanders, extreme 4x4 guys(and gals) account for the world population and if landrover has to really make a car for them that would please them at only a 100000 of them that exist? - does not make financial sense for the business. SO best believe they will want to make a defender that is electronically capable of tackling some "rough terrain" to compete with the new G wagon and Wrangler but still be able to be bought by moms, also NCAP rated to a great degree, perhaps even with a hybrid model somewhere in the line up.

This is were the world is headed, this is were LR is headed and LCs soon, whether we like it or not, we just have to accept this.

So, those that want a car with a defender badge stuck on it as a sign of continuing with the times will buy it and those that still want defenders that can even run on diesel mixed with paraffin can still stick with their 200Tdis and that's it.
    We realize that the world has urbanized and that most 4x4s are used to keep wives happy.

We also realize that that market is far bigger than the traditional Defender market, that is not the argument.

The argument is whether a 2019 Defender serves the same intended purpose as my 1996 300 Tdi, and is a 2019 Defender better than a 1996 300 Tdi at that intended purpose? Based on available information, it doesn't seem so?

Land Rovers are not built on the same principles that they used to be. Which is good for those who want to keep wives happy (the majority of the market).

Not so good for those who want an affordable, honest, durable, simple, long lasting work horse.

Many of those who bought Land Rovers in the past will most likely be looking else where in the future. Toyota LC and Patrol seem to be the only alternatives.

Talking about the Patrol, I see that they've launched their luxury barge here in SA, but they've kept the pick-up as it was, Land Rover would do well to do something similar with the Defender. Sell the SW to compete with the likes of Fortuner, Everest, Pajero Sport... but with more emphasis on off-road ability, and sell the old ladder frame pick-up in to the agricultural market to compete with LC.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2018/02/13 at 08:19 AM.
    1996 Land Rover Defender 300 Tdi Hi-Cap Pick Up
    2002 Land Rover Discovery 2 VNTd5 XS

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Guys, we'll have to accept that the days of the rugged Defender is gone forever, just like modern tractors being used on farms have 1000% more technology than the good old Vaaljapie. Life adapts and goes on.

I know we're quite nostalgic about the old Defender and will defend its absolute necessity for mankind, but I promise you a vehicle with rounded features and airbags can carry around hay bales just as good.
    strangely enough you can still get R35k+ for an old Massey Ferguson.......and people still use them everywhere..........just saying

and there is no way some British farmer will continue buying a Defender if he has to pay upward of 30,000 UK Pounds which is the expected starting price

he'll just go out and buy what is fit for purpose, and it won't be a New Defender

But you're right, it's an end of an era and we must all just agree that LR doesn't sell rugged 4x4s any more
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    strangely enough you can still get R35k+ for an old Massey Ferguson.......and people still use them everywhere..........just saying

and there is no way some British farmer will continue buying a Defender if he has to pay upward of 30,000 UK Pounds which is the expected starting price

he'll just go out and buy what is fit for purpose, and it won't be a New Defender

But you're right, it's an end of an era and we must all just agree that LR doesn't sell rugged 4x4s any more
    ....and very sadly so. From a business perspective they realized long ago that catering for farmers is not nearly as profitable as sticking to the market need and creating vehicles for the executive wanting a good offroader for weekends and holidays. (I still find it laughable when waking into a LR dealership and being greeted by a guy in a black suit offering cappuccinos or espressos)

There'll still be R35k Series and Defenders available for years to come when the hype goes past. Hence me saying paying ludicrous amounts for Series and Defenders now, to ride the wave, will get a lot of people quite irritated when they want to sell again. Paying R10 for a share worth R2 is just stupid investing. Even if you passionately love the company who's share it is. Emotion and reality are unfortunately worlds apart.
    Last edited by George; 2018/02/13 at 09:12 AM.
    Some 4x4 with an offroad caravan

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    ....but I promise you a vehicle with rounded features and airbags...
    This is what Toyota have done with the LC 70 but still built on the same principles as in the past, and it sells in large numbers all over the world.

Land Rover have gone on a tangent. It seems as if they have turned the Defender in to a Fortuner...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

Pitty. I will get myself a LC double cab and reduce my disco 2 to a convertable. It is not even worth trading it. At least I can go sit in the disco when lonely. It is the only car that you can actually chat with.
    2002 Discovery td5

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    This is what Toyota have done with the LC 70 but still built on the same principles as in the past, and it sells in large numbers all over the world.
    Ditto Jeep with the Wrangler which now easily outnumber Defenders on ZA's roads and tracks
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    Pitty. I will get myself a LC double cab and reduce my disco 2 to a convertable. It is not even worth trading it. At least I can go sit in the disco when lonely. It is the only car that you can actually chat with.
    I believe that the D2 should have given rise to the next generation Defender.

It resolves some of the refinement and safety issues of the Defender but runs on the same platform.

Square it off to optimize space, reconfigure seats to prioritise luggage space, change wheelbases to 110' and 90', 1:4 transfer case and 235-85 wheels, replace the watts linkage with an A frame and Bobs your uncle. A more refined, safer Defender.

Series lead to Range Rover Classic, RR Classic lead to Defender, Defender lead to Discovery 1 which lead to Discovery 2, Discovery 2 lead to P38 Range Rover.... Discovery 2 leads to Defender 2.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2018/02/13 at 04:22 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

Not a bad idea, but I suspect the days of sfa’s are over... sadly.

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

*cough Wrangler JL *cough

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BluePaj For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    I will be looking at buying the new Defender next year when launched, with a few provisions, one being price and that its not completely ridiculous.

What are people guessing?
    Not sure where you get your information? My sources tell me, that Land Rover will produce 150 special models and release these across the Globe. Expect to pay R2m upwards, if you are lucky to get your hands on one! Beyond this nothing. They will not produce the Defender in any significant numbers again.

Sorry guys, that's the sad story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Joseph View Post
    Not sure where you get your information? My sources tell me, that Land Rover will produce 150 special models and release these across the Globe. Expect to pay R2m upwards, if you are lucky to get your hands on one! Beyond this nothing. They will not produce the Defender in any significant numbers again.

Sorry guys, that's the sad story.
    Your sources don't know what they talking about. The NEW Defender is on its way. You talking about the limited 70th Edition which is still of the old or current shape.

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5