New Everest with 20" wheels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Everest with 20" wheels

Some advise please

With the new vehicles coming out with larger wheels, how does this change your driving style, or should change your driving style?

For example;

We were used to visiting Namibia once a year, and would then spend a day a two driving around in the dunes near Swakopmund. With the previous vehicles running on 16" wheels, the norm would be to deflate to 1 bar or so, and enjoy the day. But what now?

Would it be safe to deflate these large low-profile wheels, or do we run the risk of damaging the sidewalls?

We also plan to visit the Western Cape and Richtersveld, where I expect more rocks than sand. How does this change the scenario? Is it safer to rather keep the wheels hard, and hope not to get stuck, rather than running the risk of cutting one of these wheels on n protruding rock?

Thank you

Default Re: New Everest with 20" wheels

You buy a second set of wheels in the smallest diameter that fits the car and put a proper offroad biased or AT tyre on it.
    swop them when you go away and keep the fancy rims and tyres for when you know it is only tar roads.
    They don't delate well and yes they puncture like nothing.
    We did a wrecks tour last year and there were three fords in the crowd 2 rangers and a new everest with those 20's. He deflated like everybody else but you could immediately see the tyre struggle. So the tour guide advised to put them back to 1.8 bar. Then there was a section with a hidden rock that was just about impossible to miss. Everybody hit it and so did the everest, immediately there was rim and tyre damage. So we put his spare on. Not much further he managed to de-bead the one rear wheel. After much fun we got if pumped again only to get a puncture from something that we could not really figure out what a little bit later. At that point he had to borrow a spare wheel from one of the rangers.
    Low profile tar road biased tyres just don't do well offroad and deflated.
    I do exactly the same with the touareg.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2018/02/05 at 01:17 PM.
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro - my daily
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

I'm in the process of swapping my XLT Everest with a new Limited. I'm swapping the 20" rims and tyres for a set of 18" rims and tyres immediately - speak to your local Tiger Wheel & Tyre or similar tyre outlets as they often do trade-ins. I fortunately had a spare set of XLT 18" rims so my local TWT is swapping the 20's for 5 new 18" All Terrains (including the spare) at no cost to me.

Lots of people trade their Wildtrack rims and tyres in so you should be able to the get a set fairly easily.
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

Thank you for the advise

I was once told, the reason behind the new larger rim sizes being launched, is due to larger disc's and calipers?

If this is not the case, would a set of 16" rims, fitted with 265/70R16, not work almost as well? Reason behind this, we have another 2.2 Ranger at home too?

I Don't know the ford product in terms of brakes so cannot comment.
    if you have a ranger at home with smaller rims see if they fit.
    Or go to a dealer and let them help you with what is the smallest rim to fit your car. They will have it in documentation.
    the touareg v10 has massive brake in the front and thus is limited to a smallest of 18" rims.
    so I have 255/55/18's on a spare set of rims with general grabbers AT and it normally runs around on a 19" with tar road biased tyres.

looking at the spec sheet on ford's website they don't actually give the brake size but I notice thatbthenspare is a 17 x 7.5 steel rim so it means that a 17" rim will certainly fit and there are lots of options for offroad biased tyres and AT tyres in that size.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2018/02/05 at 02:00 PM.
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro - my daily
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

The smallest rims currently on any of the Everest's are 17" so I'm not sure if you can below that?
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

Thank you for that advise

I have forgotten about that 17" spare wheel

We will test and see if the 16" does fit, if so, well, then we will be very lucky

Alternatively, maybe source a set of 17's, and change the 16's for that, and then we will be sorted in the future

Funny how things change, now, if you want to you use your fancy new vehicle for more off-road use, you should preferably first change the wheels, and then go

Why swop only for going off-road? If the spare is 17”, why not swop out the 20” wheels for a set of 17’s from the start, hopefully at no cost (in exchange for the 20” set) and keep them on permanently. Is there a significant benefit to the 20” wheels on tar? They must’ve had some reason apart from looks to bring out the Everest with 20” wheels. Fuel economy? More stability on the road? Why keep the 20” wheels at all?

I have a Discovery 4 with 19" rims, and with tyres like Goodyear Duratracs (255/55/19) they are not too bad on off-road scenarios, I did Van Zyl's pass with those in Namibia last year, and Liuwa Plains in Zambia the year before.

However, I now have 18" Compomotive rims with larger tyres (BFG k02 265/65/1 and it is definitely better off-road, I have just been through the Richtersveld with no problems.

BTW, I didn't deflate my tyres in the Richtersveld.

IMO the 20" rims are just not suitable for off-road, and even 19" is a potential problem.
    Last edited by Jola; 2019/05/05 at 08:32 AM.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Quote Originally Posted by Safaridude View Post
    Why swop only for going off-road? If the spare is 17”, why not swop out the 20” wheels for a set of 17’s from the start, hopefully at no cost (in exchange for the 20” set) and keep them on permanently. Is there a significant benefit to the 20” wheels on tar? They must’ve had some reason apart from looks to bring out the Everest with 20” wheels. Fuel economy? More stability on the road? Why keep the 20” wheels at all?
    All excellent questions. The main reason for 20" rims is SPEED and HANDLING. I fail to see why this is a critical element on an SUV that is constrained to 120km/h, but maybe some clever people can explain this to us.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Some of the clever people want to cruise at 200kmh on highway
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    Some of the clever people want to cruise at 200kmh on highway
    must be so

but AFAIK the 17" rims and most decent tyres are rated up to T which is 190km/h ANYWAY
    Percivamus

I have a Grand Cherokee overland with 20 inch rims. Fitted 20 inch cooper off road tyres for west coast tour. Sand and rock terrain. Deflated tyres to 1.5bar. 3 punctures later we limped home. Try and find 20inch tyres in the remote parts of RSA! 20inch are for the tar road. I solved the problem by buying a 2nd hand set of 18inch rims and fitted mud terrains! Run these at 0.8 bar in desert and 1.6bar gravel road. No punctures/rim damage.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Recovery For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    All excellent questions. The main reason for 20" rims is SPEED and HANDLING. I fail to see why this is a critical element on an SUV that is constrained to 120km/h, but maybe some clever people can explain this to us.
    20" rims also allow for bigger brake discs. But it seems that 18" is good enough for decent brakes. In my experience, YMMV.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    20" rims also allow for bigger brake discs. But it seems that 18" is good enough for decent brakes. In my experience, YMMV.
    bigger calipers and disks are only needed for better braking: the 17" system works well enough so I'm not sure what speeds and weights the manufacturer is expecting, unless they have increased the unbraked tow rating?

no, I think it's just for looks
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    bigger calipers and disks are only needed for better braking: the 17" system works well enough so I'm not sure what speeds and weights the manufacturer is expecting, unless they have increased the unbraked tow rating?

no, I think it's just for looks
    Well, on the Discovery 4 SE and HSE the smallest standard rims that fit over the brake calipers are 19".

On the Discovery 4 XS you can fit standard 18" rims, but this vehicle has smaller brakes.

Compomotive makes a 18" rim that fits over the calipers for the D4 SE and HSE (ie the larger brakes).

I'm not convinced that the brake calipers that fit into a 17" rim are enough to stop a 2.5 ton vehicle travelling at speed, maybe with an unbraked trailer.

Then again, my Discovery 1 had 16" rims - but in that case the brakes were definitely not good enough, it did need larger brakes.
    Last edited by Jola; 2019/05/05 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    IMO the 20" rims are just not suitable for off-road, and even 19" is a potential problem.
    Not to mention that you won't easily find tyres for 19" or 20" rims up in Zambia or other remote destinations, if you ever need to replace a tyre. As Recovery pointed out as well.

I think the brake size is a moot point, the spare on the Everest is 17" so that means a 17" rim must fit. So do I swop the 20" for 17" or for 18" rims? I've heard even 18" tyres are sometimes hard to find in remote parts of southern Africa.
    Last edited by Safaridude; 2019/05/05 at 11:20 AM.

265 /60r18 tyres seem to be getting quite common
    Last edited by Jola; 2019/05/05 at 11:52 AM.

think the brake size is a moot point, the spare on the Everest is 17" so that means a 17" rim must fit.

Has any Everest owner used this smaller spare wheel? Does it fit?
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    ...the spare on the Everest is 17" ...
    How does this work, what sort of tyre is on that rim ?

I wouldn't like to go off-road without a real spare, in fact I usually take two full-sized spares, both on 18" rims.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast