The Road Chose Me: Right Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler. 30+ countries, 120,000 kms

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default The Road Chose Me: Right Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler. 30+ countries, 120,000 kms

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a Jeep Wrangler 40,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina through 16 countries over 2 years. I documented the entire expedition on my website The Road Chose Me, and wrote a couple of magazine articles. That was the trip of a lifetime for me, and I became completely addicted to travel in remote parts of the world in my own Jeep.

A year and a half ago I set out on my second big expedition, driving my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited around the entire continent of Africa.
    To date I have driven over 30,000 kms miles through 18 countries on the West Coast of the continent, all the way through Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissua, Guinea, Mali, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, Republic of Congo, DRC, Angola and now Namibia.
    Highlights have included the endless mud pits in Ivory Coast, the fast-pace and bribery attempts in Nigeria, the remoteness of Gabon and the mud slog through the DRC before crossing the Congo River on the smallest and most ramshackle ferry of my life.

I will drive to the Southern tip of the continent before turning North on the East Coast all the way to Cairo in Egypt.

Below is my planned vs. actual route:

I heavily customized my Jeep to live in, and a lot of unique modifications never before done to a Wrangler including a drinking water tank, filtration and treatment system, a modified J30 Camper pop-up from Ursa Minor that allows me to stand up and walk around in the back of the Jeep and much, much more.
    You can see the entire build of the Jeep on my site here:
    The Road Chose Me - The Jeep

The Jeep has performed brilliantly so far, with only a few minor modifications and repairs required.

As well as regular updates on my website and writing for multiple magazines, I'm also posting to social media as I move around the continent.
    Instagram - @theroadchoseme
    Facebook - The Road Chose Me
    Twitter - @dangrec

I'm also filming a YouTube series as I make my way around, here's a video that shows the road conditions I have been tackling on the West Coast:

Feel free to ask any questions you have, I am always happy to help others get out there an explore in any way I can!

I will keep this thread updated as I start the trek North on the East Coast.

-Dan
    Last edited by Dan Grec; 2018/02/05 at 09:18 AM.
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina)
    --
    Follow: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / YouTube
    --
    wikioverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Default Re: The Road Chose Me: Right Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler. 30+ countries, 120,000

Hi All,

Here are a few highlights from my Expedition so far along the West Coast of Africa:

The Sahara Desert in Mauritania was stunning

Guinea has some of the best waterfalls I have seen in my life begging to be explored:

The beaches in Ivory Coast are some of the best I have seen in my life:

Crossing Nigeria was intense. Hundreds of military roadblocks with bribery attempts (I paid zero), insane traffic and spectacular jungles and mountains.

The wilderness and tracks to explore in Gabon are like nowhere else I have been. Also I bumped into this guy, the first forest elephant I saw, just walking along a road:

The mud slog through the DRC is something I will never forget - smiling faces and the most ramshackle ferry of my life to cross the mighty Congo River!

Now, after 4,800 kms in Angola, I'm in Nambia, soon to cross into Bots.
    Here is the hood of my Jeep as it stands now:

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina)
    --
    --
    wikioverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Default Re: The Road Chose Me: Right Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler. 30+ countries, 120,000

Just damn awesome.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Thanks and well done.

There are MANY people on this forum that say a Wrangler can NEVER be used as an overland vehicle, so I'm glad you've proven them wrong.

Hi Greg, have been a long-time follower of your blog and continuing to enjoy it.
    Have fun!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Awesome man are you not going to do the skeleton coast? You say you are going to Botswana next?

Seriously jealous
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesJeep View Post
    Awesome man are you not going to do the skeleton coast? You say you are going to Botswana next?
    I was just there and loved it!

Seriously beautiful part of the world.

http://theroadchoseme.com/the-skeleton-coast

http://theroadchoseme.com/around-sandwich-harbor

-Dan
    --
    --

Dan - did you have any problems with fuel availability on this trip?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

What a fine adventure, Dan!

Thank you for sharing and happy, safe travels.
    2005 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX - nicknamed 'The Elephant' by my four and seven-year-olds

www.andrewsalomon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Dan - did you have any problems with fuel availability on this trip?
    The Rep. Congo had turned off their only refinery so they were experiencing petrol shortages. I bought from a container without much problem.

Angola was very hard to find Diesel, my friends had trouble many, many times.

Overall, Petrol was not hard to find, often easier than diesel.

My range is 900km on good roads, maybe around 500km on nasty roads, and it was never a problem, even when I tried to get as far off the beaten path as possible.

-Dan
    --
    --

Any issues with that 3.8 V6?

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Any issues with that 3.8 V6?
    None, it has been running like a top.

-Dan
    --
    --

This is awesome!!!!!!
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

.......Wow .........
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

Welcome to Africa! What you are doing is truly inspirational.

All the best!

Amazing!

Well done + thanks for sharing.

I will make sure to follow your progress!

Well done.

Wish I could do the same

Thanks Greg for the truly inspirational report.

Now that the tough part is over, it is just plain sailing to the southern tip and then north again.
    I doubt you will see conditions as just experienced again soon.

Enjoy and let us participate.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Jo Dan it is great and all the best for your tour it's nice to share it with as.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast