The Road Chose Me: Right Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler. 30+ countries, 120,000 kms - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: The Road Chose Me: Right Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler. 30+ countries, 120,000

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    By wild camping you mean you find a suitable location next to a road and set up camp?

Will you be doing that in Sa as well?

Any tips for how to do that and avoid hiccups.
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

I did it every single night in Angola, Gabon, DRC, Cameroon, etc. etc. Months and months and months without issue.

It's about finding a place that is far enough away from people, or getting permission from people that live there.
    I usually start looking at around 3-4pm, search for a smaller gravel road, then look for tiny spur roads, or gravel pits, or dead ends off that.

It takes some practice, but you can get really good at it.

I don't know if I'll do it in SA too, I will sense the vibe and take it from there.

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina)
    --
    Follow: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / YouTube
    --
    wikioverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Default Re: The Road Chose Me: Right Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler. 30+ countries, 120,000

In SA stay far away from people!

Dan, wild camping or rather setting up camp on private rural property certainly is possible and many travelling friends have done so successfully once they reach South Africa.
    However there are unique sensitivities concerning land ownership and trespassing on private property to be considered in South Africa. Almost every bit of land has private owners or falls under some authority. The informality of West and East Africa hardly exists here. Most South African landowners will be found to be most hospitable if approached correctly and may even offer to put you up in formal accommodation.
    As you are certainly already aware SA is far more sophisticated than where you have already traveled within Africa and with this comes uniquely sophisticated crime unfortunately. So be careful about where you set up for the night.
    There is formal camping to be found almost everywhere and most would find this to be safest.
    If you ever approach my home town of East London on the Indian Ocean coastline, please send me a personal message via this forum in advance so that I can offer you some hospitality.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    If you ever approach my home town of East London on the Indian Ocean coastline, please send me a personal message via this forum in advance so that I can offer you some hospitality.
    I think this goes for all areas you plan on visiting in SA, I reckon you could easily land yourself in a comfortable bed in each town you visit from one of the friendly forum members here
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Always welcome at my place...

Northern natal just before you head into Mozambique.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grec View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My New eBook is out now!

In Overland Travel Essentials: West Africa – Myths, Misconceptions and Misnomers I debunk the most commonly-held myths about traveling the West Coast of Africa in your own 4x4 vehicle.

I did it - you can too!

As well as de-bunking the most commonly-held myths I also give real-world practical advice and suggestions, and list a bunch of must-see places in West Africa.

Finally, the price of gasoline and diesel is listed for every single country, and also the price and where to apply for and obtain every single visa for the entire coast line!

Grab a copy now on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2BQ1gjV

or Apple iBooks:https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/book...11&at=1001lqzc

I'd love to hear what you think!

-Dan
    Bought a copy, can’t wait to read. Great work.

Hopefully you will be venturing down towards Port Elizabeth, right before you go and explore Baviaans Kloof!

Dan
    I bought a "copy" of your ebook, Overland Travel Essentials: West Africa.
    Thanks for the effort to publish very useful information on West Africa.
    Safe travels and many more adventures to you...
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

Following with interest !!

I think a lot of people here are green with envy
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

I've now purchased the book.......need something to read on my up coming holiday. Look forward to it - thanks.
    Good luck with your travels.

Oh wow, thanks everyone for the support buying my book and the extremely kind invites! I'm terrible at predicting when I will be where, but if I'm in the area I might take people up on those offers ! Thanks again, -Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina)
    --
    --
    wikioverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Hi All, I continued to explore Lesotho, finding a ton of great wild camp spots: Then I got the Jeep to probably the highest it will be on the continent (10,630ft.) Which I thought was a good excuse for a beer at the highest pub in Africa: You can read more about all of that here: http://theroadchoseme.com/looping-lesotho-2 From there, I dropped down the super-famous Sani Pass into South Africa. It's a stunning pass with a few wicked switchbacks, of course the first vehicle to ever drive it was a Jeep! You can read more about my drive down the Sani Pass here: http://theroadchoseme.com/the-sani-pass Now it's time to explore South Africa! -Dan
    --
    --

Dan, for your interest, assuming you still want to do the East African route, you have the supposedly highest driveable road in Africa ahead of you in Ethiopia. This is the Bale Mountain National Park and is the Tulu Dimtu Peak at 4337m.

To put that in perspective, the highest peak in Europe is Mont Blanc in the French Alps at 4810m and you certainly cannot drive to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2018/04/11 at 09:50 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

gold in this thread, thanks and good luck!
    subbed

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Dan, for your interest, assuming you still want to do the East African route, you have the supposedly highest driveable road in Africa ahead of you in Ethiopia. This is the Bale Mountain National Park and is the Tulu Dimtu Peak at 4337m.

To put that in perspective, the highest peak in Europe is Mont Blanc in the French Alps at 4810m and you certainly cannot drive to it.
    Huh, I didn't know about that! On the list!

... In Bolivia I had my last Jeep up at just over 4800m

-Dan
    --
    --

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Grec For This Useful Post:

Hi All,

My latest video is on YouTube now:

Driving across the Republic of Congo !

The country was not at all what I expected, and I loved it!

-Dan
    --
    --

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Grec For This Useful Post:

Hi All,

My latest video is on YouTube now - crossing the infamous DRC - The Congo - (Formally Zaire)

I think this is my best video yet, I would love to hear your thoughts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8V3GdOcPU

Thanks!

-Dan
    --
    --

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Grec For This Useful Post:

I echo your thoughts that this is your best video, practice perfects!
    Thanks for posting, looking forward to Angola.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Hi All,

After 32,000 miles through 21 countries in Africa, I have officially reached the Southern-most tip of Africa, which is the half way point of the expedition.
    Already it has been the adventure of my lifetime, and it's only half way done!

From here, it's North through another 15 or so countries on my way to Egypt in the North East. I hope you'll join me for the adventure.

Also, less than a couple of hundred yards from the southern tip I had my first "car crash"!
    Rea the whole story here http://theroadchoseme.com/cape-agulh...-tip-of-africa

-Dan
    --
    --

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Grec For This Useful Post:

Like your thread, I've spend some time in north west Africa and seeing your pictures reminded me again of how beautiful and untouched those parts are. Blessings for the remainder of your journey
    2015 Nissan X-Terra
    2006 KTM 950 Adv

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast