The Value of 4 x 4 Training - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: The Value of 4 x 4 Training

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nel GX View Post
    It's a catch 22 type of question.

I had training years ago. Helped me sweet nothing. And the training wasn't bad. It's just so much information to take in.
    there's training.

and then there is practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nel GX View Post
    It's a catch 22 type of question.

I had training years ago. Helped me sweet nothing. And the training wasn't bad. It's just so much information to take in.

And, when you do find yourself in a sticky situation, you do not apply what you learnt in any case, or stuff up trying.

The best training you could get, is to go out with the guys and girls that have done it many times before. They will guide you, this I PROMISE you. Some will even get into your vehicle with you and take you over certain or most obstacles.

Lot's of guys in your area that will be more than willing to show you the ropes. The 4x4 Action Group goes out regularly. Join them. You will have a blast
    Cant say I agree completely.

You need both formal training, and then "experience" training with peers. When you are on a slide slope and you feel you are about to roll, that's exactly when your natural instinct to steer up the slope instead of down is going to kill you. And when your car starts to roll or slide or whatever, you are on your own, you have to know how to control it, you wont have the time to consult your trail buddies for advise.

Once all the basics are properly in place, now go and play and get confidence and learn all the advanced stuff and tricks.

When I meet a bunch of guys for a trail I can tell in minutes who has had proper training and who hasn't. I have seen people who achieve the most amazing feats on a trail achieve them while subjecting themselves, their passengers and other, and their vehicle to totally unnecessary dangers. So just because gonzo got over that obstacle and I went around it, it doesn't necessarily make him the better driver.

One also needs to distinguish between extreme stuff in a seriously modded vehicle and Koos and Wilma in their daily driver double cab.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    there's training.

and then there is practice.
    And you have to practice with the right crowd. Remember that practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

You need the basics in training,the rest is the build up on the training aka experience. Unfortunately you get the know it all's who end up maiming or.killing someone with a recovery e.g. tow ball recovery. If I had a 4x4, I would definitely go on a few courses.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    You need the basics in training,the rest is the build up on the training aka experience. Unfortunately you get the know it all's who end up maiming or.killing someone with a recovery e.g. tow ball recovery. If I had a 4x4, I would definitely go on a few courses.
    Remember Gariep NGTG. And you joined the guys on a trail in you Isuzu, and you kept on getting into trouble and had to be recovered.

Remember that I gave up my ride and joined you as shotgun, and showed you which lines to take, and how fast, and what gear to be in and when to brake or let it ride or slide. (And we both had a smoke while doing it - aaahh those where the days, sniff ) And you never got stuck one more time and followed all the others in the group with no problem, and you didn't break or scratch anything. Remember the ear to ear grin you had, and the sense of achievement.

Well that doesn't make me a hero or anything special or a Rambo. That's just what proper training does for you.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/02/05 at 02:11 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

I arrived in Windhoek towards the end of 1983 in a new Passat Sedan. My new employer gave me 1: 50 000 map marked with an X in the Khomas Hochland. He gave me the keys to a LC bakkie and told me to go set up a camp. Everything I know about offroad driving and 4x4 maintenance and/or recovery was self taught from that point on. It worked and I survived in the bush for 6 years. But I have learned so much from the real guru's on this forum that I'm often too ashamed to give my opinion, because I know I'll be way off target.

The Spirit of Africa is a great event, but not really a training setup. The one offroad academy I attended recently was a joke and one big promotion of their vehicle brand.

Thanks to the real "hardebaard manne" here. I appreciate all the technical knowledge I have gained since joining.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2018/02/05 at 02:29 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Remember Gariep NGTG. And you joined the guys on a trail in you Isuzu, and you kept on getting into trouble and had to be recovered.

Remember that I gave up my ride and joined you as shotgun, and showed you which lines to take, and how fast, and what gear to be in and when to brake or let it ride or slide. (And we both had a smoke while doing it - aaahh those where the days, sniff ) And you never got stuck one more time and followed all the others in the group with no problem, and you didn't break or scratch anything. Remember the ear to ear grin you had, and the sense of achievement.

Well that doesn't make me a hero or anything special or a Rambo. That's just what proper training does for you.
    I learned a lot from you Keith and value it till this day. I also learned how kids can abandon a parent and jump into Rabbitdogs landy...Because it looked cool😂😂😂
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Personally I didn't do any training for the first 7 years after starting to drive off road, until I joined LROC. I learnt more in the first day of Fundamentals than I knew before. It's not all about driving, but also what kit to pack, what to do in certain circumstances such as a stalled incline ect ect. Beside the Fundamentals, doing a recovery course is a priority for everyone, should be law (tic), I've seen way to many people doing dumb things while recovering someone else.

As a side note, it's fun anyway so go for it.
    Life's too short to drive boring...
    -------------------------------------
    2011 Disco 4 SDV6 SE (iNyathi)
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE (Pepper)
    1994 Pajero 3.0 V6 (Ruby)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qoda For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    I learned a lot from you Keith and value it till this day. I also learned how kids can abandon a parent and jump into Rabbitdogs landy...Because it looked cool😂😂😂
    Practical example of the value of playing with the folks on forum, Guy from Hilcrest or Malaysia and a electrical inspector from King willians town forging a lasting friendship just by sharing experiences and knowledge
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

What do you guys think of these TETA or something accredited courses? Is it worthwhile doing or adding it to your name? That is if you have already attended other 4x4 training courses?
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

I have booked the course, and look forward to the days training.

Quote Originally Posted by STosen View Post
    I have booked the course, and look forward to the days training.
    Any feedback?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    LC76V8

I will be doing the course on Saturday.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to STosen For This Useful Post:

Having completed the course, the following observations, in the context of the first 4 x 4 course I have done:

1. The venue was good, toilets were clean and great to get out into the bush. Note that McCarthy 4 x 4 uses the ADA facility to do their training.
    2. Training was done using a video, which was frequently stopped to pose questions to the students and ensure participation and questions - this contributes to a consistent training message.
    3. Knowledge of the different vehicles participating was good.
    4. Got to learn that on my 76, diff-locks cannot be engaged in H4.
    5. To release the diffs, travel backwards a couple of metres, before moving forwards - just make sure you have enough space behind you.
    6. A reliable spotted is priceless.
    7. Instructors were good, as the ladies became more and more confident.
    8. Use the clutch before an after the obstacle - that means make sure you are in the correct gear before you engage the obstacle.
    9. Leaf springs limit the vehicle clearance
    10. Remember the gearbox, diffs and transfer case are not in the same line when travelling over an obstacle under the vehicle.
    11. Make sure you can always see your spotter, and that the spotter is looking at the risk area.
    12. "As slow as possible, as fast as necessary"
    13. Deep Wading: Unclip the seat belts, open the windows, place a tarpaulin over the front to keep the water out and have a two strap/rope ready on either side for recovery.
    14. The 76 is very capable and you need to tackle a couple of obstacles to appreciate what it can and cannot do.

The most important thing I have learnt, is that I need to decide what I want to do with the vehicle. I believe Baboon's Pass is not on the agenda.

My user category is likely to be one which is limited to where my Conqueror Commander can go, and this course really made me think about.

Once again, thanks to all for your opinions and comments.

This training session is closed!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STosen For This Useful Post:

Awesome to get feedback on training from various people who have done 4x4 training.

I am totally happy that we went on the training course we did. With everything presented in an informal way over a cup of coffee and rusks as an open chat forum was really useful.

Am looking forward to the recovery training !

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowones For This Useful Post:

Good and precise feedback. Thanks.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Stoffel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    Good and precise feedback. Thanks.
    Are you saying this is a not so precise ...

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d-Western-Cape

*runs to fetch the dustbin lid for cover*

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DVR View Post
    I am going to step on a few toes here. Being in this trade for +_ 40 years being there , done that , bought the T shirt and the factory.
    I would go so far to say that 80 % of all 4x4 trainers , no I would go to 90 % does not even know the basics about 4x4 driving never mind giving training to other people. The certificate is not worth the paper it is written on.
    By this I'm not saying there is no good guys out there , but in the whole of SA I can count those on one hand. The reason for this is simple ! even the governing bodies that is controlling this whole circus is fighting among each other over who gives what accreditation.

My 2c if you can find one of the 5 guys go for it , other wise don't wast your money !
    Rather team up with a couple of well known guys on the forum for their 4x4 skills and go out driving and learning. You will be surrounded by experts in this field , and by far a better option than a one day course.
    Yip, toes are tough though. To make a statement that 90% of trainers do not know the basics of 4x4 driving is a straight lie, easy. 5 guys on one hand that know what they are doing ... DVR, really !! where do you get these statistics, from the government or Gupta's, must be.
    You may have been in "the trade" for 40 years but how have you come to the above conclusions. I can count many more than 5 trainers on this forum alone that really know what they are doing and I would highly recommend them without thinking twice.
    Training is to me the first step in learning how to drive your 4x4, experience is the cherry on the top.
    I have been training officially for over 10 years now and unofficially for a lot longer than that. I still learn, on every course I do someone will casually mention something or point out something that I did not know. Yes, I still learn all the time and have been driving 4x4's just about as long as you have.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by STosen View Post
    I am considering doing a Basic 4 x 4 Training course.

Before I go ahead, I would like to know:

1. As a 4 x 4 enthusiast (owner), what value have you derived from a course you have attended?
    2. As a commercial member with a training facility. what value does your 4 x 4 training bring to the owner?
    3. As a person employed in the 4 x 4 short-term insurance industry, what value does a 4 x 4 course bring to you? (Raymond - TuffStuff)
    4. Has anyone done a Basic 4 x 4 Course at ADA (Broederstroom), and what was you experience?

Looking forward to your views, opinions and feedback.

Shaun
    I know this was posted months ago but would like to add my experience. I bought an FJ a few months ago and had never driven a 4x4 previously. I googled 4x4 courses and decided on johan at 4x4 kungwini in bronkorspruit. I booked a personal training day for two of us. my friend owns a 76 prado and has never done a course before. johan was awesome. he guided us personally from basics to advanced. before doing the course we were scared of obstacles and our vehicles. johan taught us our vehicles capabilities and the correct lines, speed, momentum, etc to tackling off roads. today I go off roading with confidence and know my vehicles capabilities as well as my own ccapabilities. the fee paid was worth every cent
    daily drive: BMW x3 3.0d
    weekend drive: BMW M3
    weekend FUN FUN FUN: 2014 FJ cruiser

31. The Following User Says Thank You to FJdemha For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: The Value of 4 x 4 Training

I can concur with FJDemha's comments on training and the benefits thereof, last Saturday we went to Off Camber 4x4 adventures for a days training, first time having the FJ off road, intimidating at first , but once a few obstacles were driven and confidence in the car and our abilities was gained, we relaxed and really enjoyed the training and advice given by Jean, it was the first time my wife had driven a vehicle in 4x4 mode and over obstacles, she was ecstatic and now wants her own FJ.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Armadillo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast