Disco 3

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Disco 3

Default Disco 3

So Iím looking for a second car (Iíve already got an IX35) and have set myself a budget of around 100 to 125k to get myself a Disco. I have been looking around joburg and PTA and thought Iíd found a gem with 180km 2005 for 120k. All was going well on the test drive until i worked out the EBP didnít actually work... oddly the dealer didnít have a clue it wasnít working either.
    Iím basically looking for advice, is it possible to get a decent disco 3 for that sort of price? How expensive is the parking brake to get fixed given that the break didnít even work? What about interior parts? Oddly the volume knob was missing and the parcel shelf had gone awol... not huge details but will need sorting.
    Thanks all.

Alex

Default Re: Disco 3

V8 or TDv6?

If your budget only stretches to R125k I think there are better options out there than a Disco 3. It can be maintenance intensive, and if you roll the dice and it lands wrong it can cost you a pretty penny, probably more than your purchase price.

Here is a starting point for research: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...g=tdv6+failure

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    V8 or TDv6?

If your budget only stretches to R125k I think there are better options out there than a Disco 3. It can be maintenance intensive, and if you roll the dice and it lands wrong it can cost you a pretty penny, probably more than your purchase price.

Here is a starting point for research: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...g=tdv6+failure
    What other options would you recommend for the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    V8 or TDv6?

RE V8 or TDV6 - Iím not fussed😉

So Iím based within the Diplomatic area in Pretoria and the D3 is universally loved here although I know a good after warranty is a must given the potential money pits they can become.

I know people who have D3 and theyíve done 200+ km and being a 7 seater is the icing on the cake but last thing I want to do is buy one and the extended warranty not cover a huge bill!

Quote Originally Posted by Lennonswain View Post
    RE V8 or TDV6 - Iím not fussed😉

So Iím based within the Diplomatic area in Pretoria and the D3 is universally loved here although I know a good after warranty is a must given the potential money pits they can become.

I know people who have D3 and theyíve done 200+ km and being a 7 seater is the icing on the cake but last thing I want to do is buy one and the extended warranty not cover a huge bill!
    Check the after market warranty first.... the 2005 may be over their age requirements or their contribution will be a small fraction of the repair bill.... As others have mentioned it may be a costly purchase if you are unlucky.... Things to check, that vehicle shuld have had its valves replaced, cambelt done, rear diff should have been repaired/ replaced.... if there is no evidence of that work done then its simple, stay away.
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Quote Originally Posted by DETOUR-GP View Post
    Check the after market warranty first.... the 2005 may be over their age requirements or their contribution will be a small fraction of the repair bill.... As others have mentioned it may be a costly purchase if you are unlucky.... Things to check, that vehicle shuld have had its valves replaced, cambelt done, rear diff should have been repaired/ replaced.... if there is no evidence of that work done then its simple, stay away.
    Thanks, Iíve spent most of the morning so far reading about the crank failure which would I suggest shows V8 is a slightly better option (although thirsty!)

I need to research warranties as they all say they cover engine failure etc but all know that if there is wriggle room warranty companies will try to avoid paying out.

More recent test drive flagged up a total lack of handbrake not working, which looking though LR UK posts is about 1000 pounds for full replacement (16k) which Iíd have to get sorted... Iím not sure leaving it in park is a long term option.

The handbrake is an easy fix most of the time. If You want a diesel then either buy one with a new sub assembly fitted or change the oil pump as soon as you buy it

Always buy V8... that sound
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

V8s are more difficult to find. The dealer of the car I drove (2005 TDV6) has been told to fix the handbrake or get a quote and renegotiate the price, shall see what happens.
    How much is a new Oli pump, Iíve read that there appears to be a correlation between oil pumps and the crank breaking.

Handbrake about 2000 to fix and oil pump is 5000 from LR plus about 3000 to fit

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    Handbrake about 2000 to fix and oil pump is 5000 from LR plus about 3000 to fit
    Thanks Mike, Iíve made contact with couple of LR garages to find out prices of fixing the handbrake. Iíll ask the dealer to check through paperwork for the oil pump, I know CAM belt was replaced last year.

Anything I should look for?? How easy is it find interior parts for D3s?

I think the dealer should fix the handbrake to get it through roadworthy? Not so?

There are several places around Pta that break landrovers so interior bits are not a problem. Check the suspension goes up and down 3 or 4 times to make sure compressor drier is not blocked. Get a diagnostic done to check for faults.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    I think the dealer should fix the handbrake to get it through roadworthy? Not so?
    This is a very good point!!!

If you want a D3, Buy one !!!! Just buy the right one :-)
    Keep in mind as Dirk also mentioned that if you buy the wrong one, its going to cost you a lot of money.

If you only spend R125k on a D3 it would probably be a TDV6 and for that money, you are going to buy a lemon and sit with all the gloom and doom that goes with it.
    If you know the person that owned it before you and you pickup a TDV6 for that money, there is nothing available to compete against the D3 in its class for the money you spent.

BUT, 95% of people that buy Cheap TDV6 D3's end up having some to major issues... Be warned, and if you want peace of mind, buy a V8, but you will not get one for R125K.

Besides all the gloom and doom surrounding the TDV6 and all the links to issues, all the links to surveys, all the links to adverts of D3 with failed engines and who know what else, there are still thousands on the road with no engine failures, but be warned.

I would not be able to advise what other vehicle to buy in its class / capability / comfort etc. and for the same money as a D3...maybe the owners of other brands can advise you on an alternative. Older Prado perhaps, only thing that comes to mind.
    Or even better buy a good old D2 V8...and still have change, but all depends what your needs are.
    2009 D3 V8 SE - Family car, holiday and weekends
    2009 Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 GLX - Mom's Taxi
    2001 Ford Ranger 2.5 D/C - My Car

2007 D3 TDV6 S - Family car, holiday and weekends ( RELUCTANTLY SOLD )

Disco-Deon wants to sell his. Has been offered R50k for trade-in, and the market price is around R100k, so I'm sure you can talk a deal.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

V8s are more difficult to find.
    Hi
    My V8 is on the market.
    2006 D3 V8 SE
    Relatively good condition
    Reliable, unlike the TDV6 I had previously.

Let's chat
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    Hi
    My V8 is on the market.
    2006 D3 V8 SE
    Relatively good condition
    Reliable, unlike the TDV6 I had previously.

Let's chat
    For +-R100k this is an awesome vehicle
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Dirk,has your LR been sold ,if not maybe it is something the OP is looking for.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

So Iím looking for a second car (Iíve already got an IX35) and have set myself a budget of around 100 to 125k to get myself a Disco. I have been looking around joburg and PTA and thought Iíd found a gem with 180km 2005 for 120k. All was going well on the test drive until i worked out the EBP didnít actually work... oddly the dealer didnít have a clue it wasnít working either.
    Iím basically looking for advice, is it possible to get a decent disco 3 for that sort of price? How expensive is the parking brake to get fixed given that the break didnít even work? What about interior parts? Oddly the volume knob was missing and the parcel shelf had gone awol... not huge details but will need sorting.
    Thanks all.

Alex
    Hi Lennonswain

the 2005 TDV6 is the model with lowest incidence of engine issues such as turned bearings, oil pump etc.

We run a 2005 model TDV6 and Swambo loves it. Going in for its 240'000km service (including cambelt) on Friday with LRXtreme. They do all our maintenance work. Up here on the Reef that is my indie of choice.

Had ours been a MY2007 (TDV6) or later, I would have gotten rid of it long ago - too many issues.

V8 you can buy irrespective of year model.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast