Matusadona vs Chizarira - Which one to choose and advice on getting there.

Default Matusadona vs Chizarira - Which one to choose and advice on getting there.

Hi Community,

We are battling to decide between 4 or 5 nights in Matusadona or Chizarira. We will be coming from a 7 night stay in Mana. We like birding and game viewing equally as well as solitude and being in the thick of the bush without any luxuries. We are also competent 4x4 drivers and as such we are not scared of a challenging road to get to our destination. We have heard that the last 80 or so km into Tashinga Camp in Matusadona are very challenging and rough, is this correct? Is there anyone who has driven this recently who could enlighten us? The proposed route would be to turn off the A1 north of Karoi and follow the road all the way until we turn right and start heading North, past Chief Village and up through Maronga and on to Tashinga. Is this trip from Mana doable in one day? If we decide to rather go to Chizarira could we get there in one day from Mana and how is the road getting to Chizarira?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us.

Nick

Default Re: Matusadona vs Chizarira - Which one to choose and advice on getting there.

Hi Nick! We did the road to Matusadona in April 2011 but I doubt whether any maintenance has been done since then so my comment should still be relevant. From the turn off the main drag at Chivudzi, where we had to book in, was 77km to Tashinga on sometimes vey rough road and it took us 5 hours. I doubt very much whether you would manage Mana to Tashinga in one day even with a sparrow start, and certainly not in comfort . The Tashinga camp site was brilliant and the ablutions all in good order. The drive out again a day or two later seemed to go more quickly. Half way up (or down!) the escarpment we suddenly had a whole swarm of tsetse flies in the cab so be ready to close you windows quickly!

We spent one night at Chizarira and it was worth the tortuous climb among stunning trees to the top, but I think for a longer stay I would choose Tashinga.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy
    One must wait till evening to see how splendid the day has been

Default Re: Matusadona vs Chizarira - Which one to choose and advice on getting there.

It's been a while since I was at both parks, so I can't comment on road conditions, but if you have four or five days, why not split your stay? Do two or three days at each. Four to five days is probably too long to spend in Tashinga if you don't have a boat (road access to the rest of the park is difficult) and ditto for Chizarira if you are not on a guided hike.

Hopefully Corey (Ozranger) on the forum will chime in, as he has worked extensively in Chizarira and knows it far better than most.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/01/31 at 05:11 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

I would like to echo the comments in the two previous posts.

It is too long a day to do Mana to Tashinga in Matusadona in one day.
    I would also split days at Tashinga and Chizarira and go to both.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2018/01/31 at 05:37 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by nickstubble View Post
    Hi Community,

We are battling to decide between 4 or 5 nights in Matusadona or Chizarira. We will be coming from a 7 night stay in Mana. We like birding and game viewing equally as well as solitude and being in the thick of the bush without any luxuries. We are also competent 4x4 drivers and as such we are not scared of a challenging road to get to our destination. We have heard that the last 80 or so km into Tashinga Camp in Matusadona are very challenging and rough, is this correct? Is there anyone who has driven this recently who could enlighten us? The proposed route would be to turn off the A1 north of Karoi and follow the road all the way until we turn right and start heading North, past Chief Village and up through Maronga and on to Tashinga. Is this trip from Mana doable in one day? If we decide to rather go to Chizarira could we get there in one day from Mana and how is the road getting to Chizarira?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us.

Nick
    Been to Tashinga Dec 2017. Indeed very tough and slow going. 5.5 hours to do approx 70 km but no breakdowns or even punctures. No cell phone reception so any breakdown or other emergency could become major issue. No running water at Tashinga at the time because of broken pump. Not even staff had water and used water from the lake. Great camping though. Stayed 2 nights.

I did that Tashinga road regularly in the 90's. Fantastic! But very very slow. And some half-landy-door height river crossings (though I was generally in a Bedford). Your post has me planning to go back! Sorry I can't help with good info
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

We did the road down to Tashinga in Matusadonna in late 2012 with our then not yet modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with a RTT.
    It took us 7 hours from the main road to the campsite - got there in the dark after sheering one of the gooseneck bolts on a steep decline - that was fun fixing it with hyenas in the near vicinity with approaching darkness. Oh and we were travelling alone.
    So yes it is doable but NOT in one day from Mana!!!
    On the same trip we also visited Chizareira without any further damage, but also needs to be taken with care - not as bad as the Tashinga road.
    Both beautiful places not to be missed.
    Would I do it again? YES!
    And tony - I know your opinion of trailers - but ours is a survivor even now with some extra springs etc. (Not sure how many km it has done off road but it must be quite a bit.
    Just put new tyres on it last year for the first time ever.
    Agree that more time should be spent at Chiz and not as much at Tashinga unless fishing or boating. Watch out for the lions there!!!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

From Mana stay at Gache Gache for one, two nights then Tashinga and maybe one night at Chizirira, Mucheni View Camp.

Enjoy, and the roads are not that bad just some parts.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ngweshla For This Useful Post:

Mana to Kariba for a bit of sight seeing and shopping andthen on to Gacha Gacha. Gacha is about 2 – 2.5 hours from Kariba
    I would rather spend 2 nights at Gacha Gacha. (Gacha Gacha gives you as much as Matusadonawould do, maybe a little more, and they have a full campsite available plus alodge plus house boat or boat hire for fishing) see http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/291742-Gache-Gache-from-the-Binga-Karoi-roadalso see: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/291414-JNB-to-Mana-Mana-to-Hwange-where-to-stop
    Plus you do not have the torturous road down to Tashinga
    Then go to Chizarirafor the balance of your time. Herewith a link to the Chizarira Facebook Page.Lots of info if you read through it. There is also a lot of info on Chizariraon the forum - just search. Herewith anolder review I did
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/116617-Chizarira-National-Park-A-Review?p=1177861#post1177861

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1288711537887980/
    You can also pm myself for any further info.Too much for this thread. It is a wonderful birding area and there are a groupwho are seriously trying to bring it back to its former glory. They needvisitors. Gacha to Chizarira is not difficult at all and you drive up theescarpment with beautiful views of Kariba behind you.

This thread would get more response Zimbabwe Forum

Enjoy your trip

[SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post: