Default JK 3.8 Alternator

My alternator seems to be giving me trouble, not charging the battery properly which leaves me stranded every now and then.

Anyone know where I can get one, maybe even a used one? I phoned American SUV already but they still need to get back to me.

Thanks
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8l
    3" J-Spec & Bilstein Suspension Lift
    Bilstein Steering Damper
    JKA Front Stubby Bumper
    33" Cooper ST Maxx
    Superchips Flashpaq
    Frontrunner Slimline II Roofrack

Default Re: JK 3.8 Alternator

Ive never used any of these places, but try here maybe.

https://www.jeepusedspares.co.za/

Yes this is not a JK alternator, but the link has contact details and they say they have Wrangler parts as well.
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-car-repl...90911224851309
    2008 - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JKU

Quote Originally Posted by JKUR View Post
    Ive never used any of these places, but try here maybe.

https://www.jeepusedspares.co.za/

Yes this is not a JK alternator, but the link has contact details and they say they have Wrangler parts as well.
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-car-repl...90911224851309
    Thanks! The gumtree ad is the same place actually. Unfortunately they don't have anything for the 3.8's, only 3.6's. The guy there says they aren't interchangeable, but I'll do some research on that too.
    Bilstein Steering Damper
    JKA Front Stubby Bumper
    33" Cooper ST Maxx
    Superchips Flashpaq

Quote Originally Posted by Ghecko View Post
    Thanks! The gumtree ad is the same place actually. Unfortunately they don't have anything for the 3.8's, only 3.6's. The guy there says they aren't interchangeable, but I'll do some research on that too.
    I did a quick search then realized they the same placed when I posted the links
    If I am correct, I think the Chrysler Voyagers use the same 3.3/3.8 engine, so that should also work.
    When I get a chance Ill search some more as well, I hope you come right.

Ok American SUV has a new one for me at R5003.52 - eish.

Just to be sure it IS the alternator giving me issues I hooked my multimeter up to the battery while it's running, and the charge coming through is 14.2V, which is actually pretty normal if I understand correctly. I am thinking I may need to search somewhere else for the problem of my dying battery. (It's a new battery btw - like 2 months old - replaced because the previous one did the same and I thought it was the battery that was shot)

The voltage on my battery before I hooked the battery charger up to it to get the vehicle started was 10.3V, so something is definitely draining it.
    Bilstein Steering Damper
    JKA Front Stubby Bumper
    33" Cooper ST Maxx
    Superchips Flashpaq

Ok American SUV has a new one for me at R5003.52 - eish.

Just to be sure it IS the alternator giving me issues I hooked my multimeter up to the battery while it's running, and the charge coming through is 14.2V, which is actually pretty normal if I understand correctly. I am thinking I may need to search somewhere else for the problem of my dying battery. (It's a new battery btw - like 2 months old - replaced because the previous one did the same and I thought it was the battery that was shot)

The voltage on my battery before I hooked the battery charger up to it to get the vehicle started was 10.3V, so something is definitely draining it.

Have you asked the guys on the Wayoflife forum, they quite helpful when it comes to JK questions etc.

Have you asked the guys on the Wayoflife forum, they quite helpful when it comes to JK questions etc.
    Yeah I had a look through all the posts on there about draining batteries, from alternator issues, grounding issues, battery issues and parasitic draws - couldn't find anything wrong with mine last night.

I'm going to send it in on Monday to have it checked out as this morning it was on 10.3V again.
    Last edited by Ghecko; 2018/03/02 at 10:29 AM.
    Bilstein Steering Damper
    JKA Front Stubby Bumper
    33" Cooper ST Maxx
    Superchips Flashpaq

How old is the battery? Battery centre tested my old battery and said it was fine when I was having a starting issue 2 years ago, 3 weeks after I tested it my Jeep would not start at all and old click click click. Bought a new battery and its been perfect since then. Try superquick for a battery, I bought a SABAT there for R850. The battery is one size smaller to fit in the battery holder but it is fine. Apparently the same physical size battery and strength is at the dealer only or something but you gonna pay a lot.

How old is the battery? Battery centre tested my old battery and said it was fine when I was having a starting issue 2 years ago, 3 weeks after I tested it my Jeep would not start at all and old click click click. Bought a new battery and its been perfect since then. Try superquick for a battery, I bought a SABAT there for R850. The battery is one size smaller to fit in the battery holder but it is fine. Apparently the same physical size battery and strength is at the dealer only or something but you gonna pay a lot.
    The current battery is only 2 months old. I got it after the previous one started giving the same issues, and I figured that one was on the way out since it was about 2 years old.
    Bilstein Steering Damper
    JKA Front Stubby Bumper
    33" Cooper ST Maxx
    Superchips Flashpaq

Had a similar problem last year. mine turned out to be the starter. As it is located beneath the outlet manifold the solenoid and cables became brittle. replaced the cables and solenoid and it running perfectly now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arithion For This Useful Post:

So it turns out the new battery I had put in was also defective. What are the odds!?

They put a new battery in now with another 12month warranty, so will see how this one holds up. Glad it wasn't a 5k alternator fix.
    Last edited by Ghecko; 2018/03/16 at 02:33 PM.
    Bilstein Steering Damper
    JKA Front Stubby Bumper
    33" Cooper ST Maxx
    Superchips Flashpaq

So it turns out the new battery I had put in was also defective. What are the odds!?

They put a new battery in now with another 12month warranty, so will see how this one holds up. Glad it wasn't a 5k alternator fix.

Glad you are sorted, as I suspected the battery maybe a dud.