General Grabber AT3 vs Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure.....WHICH ONE??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default General Grabber AT3 vs Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure.....WHICH ONE??

Sorry Guys, another which tyre Thread.

I'm putting one of the above on my Hilux today.

I like the Grabbers........but then I saw the Adventure, and the thread looks nicer to me, and the sidewall "feels" tougher.

Any FIRST HAND comments please.........

Thanks.

Pricing is about the same, around R 2000/tyre.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Default Re: General Grabber AT3 vs Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure.....WHICH ONE??

I am very happy with my Grabbers, done about 40k km with them. Just one slow puncture caused by a nail on gravel road.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Default Re: General Grabber AT3 vs Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure.....WHICH ONE??

Thanks Nys.

I'm particularly interested in quietness on tar and roadholding on gravel.

I had the older Grabbers and were VERY happy with them, must say. Those Wranglers just looked a bit chunkier, and the sidewalls felt a bit stronger/stiffer.......apparently Kevlar enforced.

Please Guys, let me know what u think.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Sorry Guys, another which tyre Thread.

I'm putting one of the above on my Hilux today.

I like the Grabbers........but then I saw the Adventure, and the thread looks nicer to me, and the sidewall "feels" tougher.

Any FIRST HAND comments please.........

Thanks.

Pricing is about the same, around R 2000/tyre.

Petri, at last something I can help with.

The Goodyears and the Generals are great tyres both of them, they will probably give you the same milage more or less, with the Goodyears maybe giving a bit more.

My son has the Grabbers on his Everest and I have the Goodyears on my NP300.
    We have had the Grabbers get 3 punctures, and the Wranglers none.

The sidewalls on the Wranglers are just fantastic strong.

We also had a Grabber go out of round....

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Thanks Nys.

I'm particularly interested in quietness on tar and roadholding on gravel.

I had the older Grabbers and were VERY happy with them, must say. Those Wranglers just looked a bit chunkier, and the sidewalls felt a bit stronger/stiffer.......apparently Kevlar enforced.

Please Guys, let me know what u think.
    They have the same noise levels

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

a five cylinder bakkie

I looked at both options late last year but couldnt get stock on the grabbers anywhere so settled on the Wranglers.
    So far I am happy, they were the top rated tyre in one of the magazine shootouts last year (if thats worth anything)
    Road holding is good, no noise what so ever and seemed to perform as expected off-road.

Have had one puncture for what its worth, not sure how or where.
    Personally did prefer the more rugged look of the AT3

My D3 came with brand new grabbers when u bought it. A month and 6000km later, I fitted a set of BFG.

I have never suffered punctures and sidewall issues on any tire like I did with the grabbers.

The adventure I have no expereince with, but some collueges running them on thier double cabs seem happy

Would also go for the GY Adventure. Think they have a stronger side wall in comparison to the grabbers if one can believe the WegRy shootout.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Oom Petri. I have Adventures on my Disco 1. They have almost no road noise. Unfortunately only done about 2800 km's so cannot vouch for longevity. Also (except a couple of gravel roads), I haven't gone off-roading at all, so cannot vouch for punctures either.

We do have AT/SA's on our double cab Isuzu, which have done about 80k km's and are still legal. I have to mention as well that I co-own a tyre shop, so getting alignment and rotation done is not a lot of trouble...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

This apparently from the latest tyre shoot out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This shootout has lost all credibility for me. General was 3rd at the previous one and is now the Winner, with the previous winner, now 2nd. Plus the top seller and trusted tyres are all below no.10...

But that has been discussed in another thread...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)

Thanks to All.

I'm sort of meaning towards the GY Adventures here, in slightly higer size , 265/70/17 instead of the standard 265/65/17.

I think both are much of a muchness, BUT the GY's thread and Kevlar reinforced sidewalls are swaying me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    This shootout has lost all credibility for me. General was 3rd at the previous one and is now the Winner, with the previous winner, now 2nd. Plus the top seller and trusted tyres are all below no.10...

But that has been discussed in another thread...
    no1 and 2 have both changed their design recently

BFG's are like Toyotas.... People think they are the bestbecause they last longer.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

a five cylinder bakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    We do have AT/SA's on our double cab Isuzu, which have done about 80k km's and are still legal. I have to mention as well that I co-own a tyre shop, so getting alignment and rotation done is not a lot of trouble...
    Sorry to hijack, but I have to ask seeing as you are in the tyre industry, my new Isuzu DC 4x4 has the AT/SA tyres as standard and I am unsure whether these tyres will handle our planned Namibia trip (gravel roads as far as possible).

I will be doing some 4x4 trails & as much gravel roads as possible in our future travels as well, so I am leaning towards a set of MTs to reduce the risk of punctures...80k kms is really good though!

So, would you keep the AT/SAs or get something with a higher load rating etc?

Difficult question...

I can't recall ever having a puncture on the Isuzu, but...it has only done some gravel roads at worst, because it is only a 4x2. I've never driven to Nam either so I am at a real disadvantage giving advice. If it was me though? I'd probably keep the AT/SA's and get an extra spare.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)

Nitebob..........GY or Grabber, if u were me??

Petri ek het gedraai na di gy met kevlar, blaas lekker af en kry ni sommer papwiele

Thanks a Mill Guys, especially Nitebob for your valuable advise.

GY it is then. Seems like they make them in 265/70/17. I'd like the teenie weenie bit higher profile, my speedo is more optimisitic than a Gupta Brother

Quote Originally Posted by JH84 View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but I have to ask seeing as you are in the tyre industry, my new Isuzu DC 4x4 has the AT/SA tyres as standard and I am unsure whether these tyres will handle our planned Namibia trip (gravel roads as far as possible).

I will be doing some 4x4 trails & as much gravel roads as possible in our future travels as well, so I am leaning towards a set of MTs to reduce the risk of punctures...80k kms is really good though!

So, would you keep the AT/SAs or get something with a higher load rating etc?
    I have done Namibia in August with Goodyear wranglers.
    We have driven the route leading into the Omaruru to Shoe Rock.
    Those roads were very rough in some places, especially the C14 and C19 from Walvis to Sossusvlei.
    Friends that accompanied us in their Ford Ranger also had Goodyear Wranglers on.
    We encountered no problems.

This was with our 1999 XJ.
    The road handling was good and no road noise.
    This convinced me to put Wranglers on my 1995 XJ when I had to replace the Yokohama's in December.

Petri. I finally removed the Duelers from my GD6 in December prior to a Botswana trip, at 45k. Faced the same dilemma as you and opted to go for the Good Years for no particular reason. Having now done 7000km with the Good Years (including the Bots trip) I must say that I am happy with them, off road they are as good as any other AT tyre and on road they are quiet, and good in both wet and dry conditions. I would buy the Good Years again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast