Trip Advice for Hwange and Chobe

Default Trip Advice for Hwange and Chobe

Hi Guys,

My wife and I and another couple are planning a trip up to Zim/Bots for end Aug early Sept. We had originally wanted to head up to Mana but quickly realized that we need to be a bit more on the ball with regard to making bookings far in advance. So now we are looking at doing a trip up to Khwai, through Chobe to end up in Hwange. We have 14 days including driving days that we can be away so need to fit it all in. We have spent time in Khwai before and we love it so much that we want to go back, we have also spent 2 nights in Savuti but nothing in Chobe or Hwange. Could anyone give us some advice on which parts or Chobe and Hwange we should try spend our time in and any campsites that are better than others. The aim wouldn't be to spend too much time traversing Chobe, we would want to leave Khwai and move through Chobe fairly quickly to maximize time spent in Hwange. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

Default Re: Trip Advice for Hwange and Chobe

Hi Nick

Have you tried phoning Zim National Parks and asking them if they have space in Mana Pools (Nyamepi Camp) on your dates... or try
    Mucheni
    Nkupe
    Ndungu
    Gwaya
    Chitake Camp 1 or 2

I would far rather stay 6 nights in Mana Pools.

Hwange you can stay at any of the main camps usually without having to book.
    Chobe on the river there are loads of camping spots to choose and they are all average. Don't forget to visit Vic Falls while you drive down to Hwange from Chobe.

Enjoy August September the best time to see wild life

I just booked this week for end of June for Mana, have you checked with them?

Nick, I actually agree with you that 14 days is not enough to include Mana and surrounds. I think most would want to chuck in visits to Kariba itself, Matusadona and also Chizarira whilst up in the north of Zimbabwe. To do this justice you will need about 3 weeks.

• After Khwai I would spend a couple of days at Ihaha on the Chobe river front in the national Park.
    • Then perhaps a day or two in Kasane, mainly to give you time to do the sundowner river cruise on the Chobe River, but perhaps also a day trip to Vic Falls if you have not been to them before. I think Senyati is the best campsite there.
    • I would then enter and exit Hwange at the Pandamatenga Border Post and divide my time equally between Sinamatella and Main Camp (different habitats). In Hwange the picnic site campsites allied to these 2 main camps are to be preferred although expensive and likely full if booking at short notice. On arrival at the two main camps mentioned enquire whether any of the picnic sites are available and if so you can move to them at a much reduced walk-in rate.
    • My preferred picnic sites are: Sinamatella - Masuma Dam, Deteema Dam or Shumba. Main Camp - Ngweshla or Kennedy picnic spots.

There is plenty of info to be found on these destinations on a search of this forum.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Great advice here, you will need more time to include the Zambezi valley area and surrounds. Bear in mind that Deteema dam falls under Robins Camp. You should however ask at Sinamatella or Main Camp to radio and check with Robins.

Option 1: I would suggest visiting the north eastern Hwange camps (around Main Camp) first which allows you to camp on the western side of Hwange and will be better from a timing point for departure back via Panda.
    Last edited by TRON; 2018/01/25 at 01:42 PM.

Option 2: go in at Panda then Robins to check if they can arrange Deteema for you. If not available ask them to contact Sinamatella for Manduva dam, Masuma or Shumba.

If they can’t help send 2/3 nights at Robins and 2/3 nights at Sinamatella. Then go to the Main Camp area. Ngweshla and Kennedy sites are all good. You then leave Hwange via Dete to Bulawayo and onto either Beitbridge (reportedly OK now) or Plumtree. With the reduction in roadblocks I think B.B. will be the better option.

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the advice. So they came back to us to say that BBC is available middle of July so what we might do is try and see what other campsites are available on either side of that so that we can fill a weeks worth of nights to be at Mana. We might then head down to Matusadona for the 2nd week. Any opinions on being in these areas during the second half of July. (post school holidays i think...).
    Last edited by nickstubble; 2018/01/27 at 06:32 AM.