RIP Harry Selby, a Kenyan and Botswanan legend

Default RIP Harry Selby, a Kenyan and Botswanan legend

I also posted this in the Botswana section:

Harry Selby, pioneer safari guide in Khwai, Moremi etc, and one of the last of the "great white hunters" has died in Maun aged 92. Robert Ruark's book, Something of Value, was partly based on Selby's life, and he "starred" in several of Ruark's other books, including Use Enough Gun.
    I wrote a lengthy obituary here: https://www.safarious.com/article/14...anuary-20-2018
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/01/22 at 05:28 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Default Re: RIP Harry Selby, a Kenyan and Botswanan legend

Thank you Tony, I had the pleasure of meeting Harry Selby when in Maun for two months in 2002. I would like to read the obituary but don't seem to be able to navigate once I am in the Safarious site. Help please?
    One must wait till evening to see how splendid the day has been

Quote Originally Posted by Jembo View Post
    Thank you Tony, I had the pleasure of meeting Harry Selby when in Maun for two months in 2002. I would like to read the obituary but don't seem to be able to navigate once I am in the Safarious site. Help please?
    Try this link
    https://www.safarious.com/article/14...anuary-20-2018

Otherwise go to www.safarious.com - the link to the article is on the front page.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Not only was Harry Selby one of the last great white hunters, but he, Donald Ker and Syd Downey were gentlemen. They had all trained under the ultimate gentleman, Philip Percival.

Sadly, by the time hunting was banned in Kenya in the 1970s, there had been an influx of so-called professional hunters who gave the profession a bad name. My father knew all the old hunters as he supplied all their tents and safari equipment: they would order new equipment before the beginning of the hunting season and my father would give them credit until the end of the season. Sadly, by the late 1960s, there were many bad eggs leaving bad debts all over Kenya. But the real gentlemen hunters were at my father’s office as soon as they had returned from safari. And they would never shoot from (or near) a vehicle unlike some of the cowboy “hunters” of later years.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Try this link

Otherwise go to www.safarious.com - the link to the article is on the front page.
    Thank you Tony, a very informative article, and I loved the images in the video. Found the article easily this time round.
    One must wait till evening to see how splendid the day has been